Texas Fishing Forum

Frustrated with line

Posted By: zoom48

Frustrated with line - 09/09/16 02:44 AM

So I've recently been using Sunline FC Sniper Fluorocarbon, but I've lost several good fish to line separated maybe after a kink. I don't know but I changed out one reel to Sunline Mono. Today line seperated. I use to use Big Game and never failed. I like fluoro but I'm threatening to go back to big game.
Posted By: buton

Re: Frustrated with line - 09/09/16 02:52 AM

do you use any kind of bubble stopers? or carolina keepers?
Posted By: zoom48

Re: Frustrated with line - 09/09/16 03:19 AM

I use a bead on top of my weight that helps the bullet weight from wedging in lots of spots and one under the weight to keep the weight from pounding the knot. I never tried bobber stoppers.
Posted By: tin man 55

Re: Frustrated with line - 09/09/16 02:27 PM

I too have struggled with all the expensive lines on the market. I work too hard getting a good fish, to just lose it due to a bad knot, kink, or just a bad place in the line.

I've gone back to trilene big game and braid. the braid never seems to wear out, and if it does, just remove it and reverse it back on. the trilene big game is so cheap, I can change it often and still be out less money that most of the others.
Posted By: Kyhokie

Re: Frustrated with line - 09/13/16 05:13 AM

Just my opinion, but I switched from flouro to Yo Zuri hybrid line. Very supple and I never notice any kinks. Seems to fish less ridgid than flouro. Good luck man.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Frustrated with line - 09/29/16 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: zoom48
I use a bead on top of my weight that helps the bullet weight from wedging in lots of spots and one under the weight to keep the weight from pounding the knot. I never tried bobber stoppers.

I have had in the past people on my boat who continues to reel a lure or fish all the way to the tip after being told repeatedly not to, cutting an extra button off your shirt works great in a pinch for a bead to stop rod tip damage. Also can be used on the weight end for same.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Frustrated with line - 05/17/17 09:57 PM

I used to use Big Game, but in 2000, I started using McCoys Mean Green copolymer. Never had any issues with it, some have had issues, but none for me. It is STRONG, LOW MEMORY, abrasion resistant and has a good amount of stretch to it. It is a copoly of sliicone and mono, with a diameter that is about 1.5 times smaller than the like mono is. Say 17# test is the size of 14# mono, in most cases. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck. I am not affiliated with McCoys in any way.

Thad Rains
Posted By: Buckshotbuddy

Re: Frustrated with line - 05/18/17 02:03 AM

Stick with the big game my friend . I had 2 spools of fc sniper and lost fish on the first spool left and right , sometimes just off the hookset. Switched back to big game and did great , stopped losing fish then I got big into mastering my knots. Recently I respooled my t rig rod with fc , tied a perfect knot first fish line snapped ,then a couple fish later line snapped . I catch plenty of fish off of mono and so have many pros for decades so I think fc is definitely over rated. Who wants to worry every time they hook a fish especially in a tournament , or if you hook into a 10 pounder
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: Frustrated with line - 02/15/18 05:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Thad Rains
I used to use Big Game, but in 2000, I started using McCoys Mean Green copolymer. Never had any issues with it, some have had issues, but none for me. It is STRONG, LOW MEMORY, abrasion resistant and has a good amount of stretch to it. It is a copoly of sliicone and mono, with a diameter that is about 1.5 times smaller than the like mono is. Say 17# test is the size of 14# mono, in most cases. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck. I am not affiliated with McCoys in any way.

Thad Rains

Thad, is McCoy’s okay for Carolina Rig or is it too stretchy? Thanks
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Frustrated with line - 03/01/18 12:33 AM

EZXCELLENT for C-rigs. That is my main line and leader for Crigging.

Hope this helps.

Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: MinMirny

Re: Frustrated with line - 04/23/18 04:47 PM

Some time ago I was experimenting a lot, trying to find satisfactory fluoro line for leaders and main line. It was for halibut+striper trips, in a sandy shallow waters where visibility was a serious issue.
The winner in both categories was Pline Floroclear.
Also some say it is not stiff enough to be a leader, IMO this only is an argument when you need to troll with too many leaders, being afraid of tangling too often. Floroclear(it is "coated") is much softer than 100% fluorocarbon, but also about 30% stronger. What IMO is another plus, too.
As for 100% fluorocarbon, the winner was Maxima brand.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Frustrated with line - 06/02/18 07:24 PM

I have been a big Sufix Siege and Elite fan for many years now. I love the strength and low memory. I use it on all my rods and even 4lb on my crappie rods.
Posted By: martyk8

Re: Frustrated with line - 03/15/19 05:56 PM

I've been using Big Game for leaders for years and never ever felt I was not getting as many bites as other fishermen right next to me fishing other types of leader material. Never had any problems with break offs or any other issues. If you like it, I'd keep using it...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum