Texas Fishing Forum

Unknown knot?

Posted By: Bois d'arc

Unknown knot? - 06/03/16 04:37 PM

Back in the day an old fishing buddy of mine named Larry Deleon showed me a knot for use on hooks and lures. Take the tag end of your line and run it thru the hook eye or lure tie, pull about 8-10 inches thru and let the line form a U shape with the lure at the bottom, holding the two lines together make a loop with the tag end and pinch it between your fingers, wrap the loose end around the two lines above the lure seven times while continuing to hold the loop at the top (pinched). Now run the tag end back thru the loop at the top. Hold both ends of the line (main and tag end) wet the line and pull the ends working the main line until it tightens down on the lure tie. A steady tug on the line until it "gives" locks everything in place. Cut the line off leaving about a 1/4 inch of tag end. Easy to tie and holds great...I call it the "Larry Knot"...anyone know its real name?
Posted By: Clouser

Re: Unknown knot? - 06/03/16 06:08 PM

Go to netknots.com
Posted By: krazydaddy2

Re: Unknown knot? - 06/04/16 02:02 AM

I learned to tie that very same knot in high school, but dont know the name..
Posted By: Clouser

Re: Unknown knot? - 06/04/16 02:40 PM

It sounds like a modified San Diego jam knot, been using it for about 40 years. Holds up.
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: Unknown knot? - 06/06/16 02:05 AM

New name "Deleon jam knot"....thanks for the replies thumb
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Unknown knot? - 07/01/16 06:54 PM

Yep, a variant of the Sand Diego. I have used it on mono all my life (dad taught me as a kid) and it holds great.
Posted By: DrCrappie

Re: Unknown knot? - 08/26/16 03:03 AM

It's called a Eugene knot, or a pop-knot, because if you tie it correctly it will pop when pulled tight.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Unknown knot? - 08/26/16 01:54 PM

Its most common name is San Diego Jam knot. What would make it a "modified"or "improved" San Diego Jam knot would be after the final twist that one pass the tag end through the "loop" formed at the bottom, then back out the "loop" at the top.

It is a very good knot for a couple of reasons:

It tests well on strength knot tests, not the best, not the worst.

It can be used to tie on lures with treble hooks hanging off of it since the lure dangles below the knot tying effort.

And, instead of wrapping the barrel wraps, you can simply let the weight of the lure itself create a pendulum effect where you start a little swing motion and the wraps are all made without any finger input.

There are several videos showing using this pendulum motion which is very easy to learn.

Brad
Posted By: xbobcatx2000

Re: Unknown knot? - 03/24/17 02:18 AM

I have used the same knot but double it in the eye. Works great on braid.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Unknown knot? - 03/24/17 11:19 AM

Yes, doubled up, it is even a better knot as it is then supported by two lines passing through the eye. And, second, two lines create more friction in the wraps.

Jimmy Houston ties it this way and calls it a Jimmy Houston knot. I suppose he is certainly entitled to one named in his honor!

And, it (the general form of the knot) has many names anyway, so what is one more! One of its older names is a Pitzen knot.

Brad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum