Texas Fishing Forum

Thinking of going back to Mono

Posted By: daddystog

Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/14/10 11:02 PM

OK, I'm tired of paying $25.00 per spool for Fluorocarbon , so I want to find one line that I can buy in the big 600 or 1000 yrd spools that's the best compromise between strength per diameter, low stretch, and castability, I don't like big game it's to stiff, so what else ?
Posted By: Bass Border

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/14/10 11:08 PM

Fluoro has caught the fisherman better than any gimmick in the history of Fishin' INCLUDING THE BANJO MINNOW!.

hooked

Posted By: tommyc

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/14/10 11:20 PM

Quote:
Thinking of going back to Mono

That would be a rough go for me. I know anglers that fish mono and braid only that are VERY successful.

I finally bought the big spool of the fluoro this year to save the cash.

http://www.crucialtackle.com/fishing_line.html
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/14/10 11:56 PM

try p-line CX Premium. its a copolymer that is fluoro coated, small diameter and limp, very strong and sensitive. its like the best of both worlds...
Posted By: Cmack

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass Border
Fluoro has caught the fisherman better than any gimmick in the history of Fishin' INCLUDING THE BANJO MINNOW!.

hooked

Agreed 110% I've tried 6 or 8 different brands of floro. done knot strength testing, stretch testing and it just don't add up. The marketing departments for the tackle manufacturers have done a stellar job on a product that I find to be inferior to mono.
Posted By: BoomBoom

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 12:29 AM

Very good fishing line. I used to use it all the time till I swtiched to fluro.
Posted By: mcbassin

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 12:44 AM

I tried the flouro the braid the hybrid.....still keep going back to big game...Its cheap and tough.
Posted By: bassguy1986

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 01:16 AM

i still like stren clear blue stuff been around ever since i can rem and still the best in my book.
Posted By: 1 Oar

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 01:34 AM

Bass pro has Lake Fork Tackle Florohybrid on close out. Best line I have ever used. Strong, low memory and stretch.
Posted By: ChineWalker

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 01:40 AM

'Silver Thread' and AN 40

Silver thread introduced co polymer line in `85...........

I can still remember the day i caught my first fish on it........it was like night and day !

i threw my stren overboard.......................

Still available i believe at LURENET.COM in 3000 yd spools............about 33.00 bucks i think

Me thinks many of these 'super lines' are comin from the same supplier................don`t ask..don`t tell.....right ?

Surely some of you guys have used Silver Thread ! ! !

Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 01:44 AM

I used the Silver Thread for years, but found I broke off more fish with it than the Berkley XL. Now I use the XL for most Texas Rig applications and the Sliver Thread for more hardbait aplications.

Both very limp manageable lines, I just found the XL to be a bit tuffer than the Silver Thread.

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 01:45 AM

I used silver thread when it came out and I liked it
Posted By: Lip Grip

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 01:47 AM

Sufix Seige 12lb is THE mono, it is avaiable only on line in the big spools. Have not broken off a fish in 5 years, pulls like a truck.
Posted By: ez_4_u00

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 01:49 AM

Big Game for me with KVD Line & Lure works great. Tried Floro this weekend and its comming off tonight.
Posted By: Lip Grip

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 01:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Bass Border

hooked

cheers
Posted By: SA Bass'n

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 01:57 AM

So glad to see that others feel the same way. I really bought into the fluorocarbon idea, but I always find myself going back to what I trust....Braid & Mono. Not in love with braid, but when I need a low stretch, tough line...I'll definitely be choosing braid and not flourocarbon. Will be sticking to 8 - 10 lb mono when fishing clear water.
Posted By: Bass Johnson

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 02:05 AM

Can't beat Big Game for value.

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 02:06 AM

Yea, I think I'm about there, was over on tackletour . com looking at line test and I think I'm back to prem. Mono for everything besides flipping
Posted By: big mike

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 02:26 AM

mccoys mean green copolymer!
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 02:28 AM

Stren original
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 02:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Lip Grip
My bro used mono on one trip, one. Never got a decent cast out of it.

Your bro doesnt know how to cast.
Posted By: Gone Shank'n

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Tracker Tim

eeks bolt
rolfmao rolfmao rolfmao

Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Tracker Tim

rolfmao
Posted By: TwoRangers

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 03:03 AM

I don't buy the expensive line and I do just fine. I fish a good mono most of the time. Right now I am fishing Stren. I tried some of that white line a while back - reminded me of kite string....I threw it away. Stren is hard to beat. I buy it in 3000 yard spools....

Posted By: slim 285

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 03:49 AM

Mason's Bass On, Barlows carries it. I love the 15,17 and 20 lb. I don't care for the 12 lb. In 10 and 12 lb I still use Big game xl. Try Masons it is strong and don't have alot of memory.
It is not on there website,I guess they still sale it.
Posted By: joho5

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 04:36 AM

I have just about gone back as well, I went through fazes of both fluoro and braid and will still use both in some circumstances, but going to use big game for the most part.

Liked the benefits of both braid and fluoro but the negatives of each outweighed the positives. At least in my fishing scenarios.
Posted By: CrankBait1007

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 06:10 AM

Have you thought of back spooling your reel. Put some cheap mono (from walmart) and back spool at least half of the reel. I use braid and always back spool because that mono is line that will never touch water. The braid I use is thin 6lb& 10lb so I would burn up a 150yard spool easily. I started back spooling and love it. grin I just put on braid that is twice the distance of my farthest cast.
Posted By: MidnightRider

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 06:15 AM

I've given up on FC for good. I lost 2 smallies that were easily over 8lbs last spring and $160- worth of swimbaits on casts this past autumn.

I have always been a co-polymer type of guy. I use CP on all my rigs except the frog, flippin' and carolina rig combos. On those I use Power Pro.

Oh well, to each his own.

Posted By: DuckBoogieman

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 06:56 AM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
try p-line CX Premium. its a copolymer that is fluoro coated, small diameter and limp, very strong and sensitive. its like the best of both worlds...

+100000000000
Posted By: Lindsey

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 07:02 AM

I'm glad to see that others are getting back on the monofilament train! I hope line manufacturers don't figure this out and jack up the price!
Posted By: jeepthing

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 07:19 PM

I tried flouro very briefly and didn't like it at all. Too much memory, break offs, lost lures and lost fish. Used a ton of line conditioner too, but in the end it just was not for me. I've gone back to Power Pro and Big Game on everything with half the line conditioner and am satisfied for now. May try some of the above mentioned mono's eventually this summer, but I'm really glad to hear that I'm not the only one that was tired of the flouro hype. Why spend more for less confidence? Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 07:44 PM

Best and strongest mono made is Maxima and you can order on-line in bulk spools. It is not cheap, but less expensive than fluoro. Maxima makes several different lines and colors of lines for various applications. I prefer the Maxima Ultragreen.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S

thumb
Posted By: krypto357

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/15/10 07:53 PM

Trilene XL is good stuff. I also fished the heck out of Trilene TransOptic, and it was tough stuff in 15lb. I pulled a lot of bass through thick grass with it.
Recently spooled up Yo-zuri Hybrid and like it ok.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/19/10 12:38 AM

+20 on Sufix. this line has no memory and is tuuuuufffff.
Posted By: ScottF

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 04/19/10 03:55 PM

I've used Trilene Big Game 15 lb for years. Still not sure why I should rig up a couple of reels with braid or fluorocarbon.
Posted By: dimitri

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 04/22/10 12:54 AM

fluorocarbon has a tendency to break off on hooksets. jmo. never happens to me with big game.
Posted By: beezy

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 04/23/10 01:11 AM

Braid is unbeatable in heavy, heavy cover. Flourocarbon is very useful especially when you really want to feel your lure hitting the structure and cover. Mono I believe is best when you need a type of stretch in your line such as when setting the hook when using treble hooks so as not to yank the bait out of the fish's mouth. Don't shy away from braid or flourocarbon as it will make you a more complete fisherman. Just my .02
Posted By: Brandon82

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 05/10/10 03:14 AM

Sufix Siege thumb
Posted By: Jeff_W

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 11/16/10 02:24 AM

stren magna thin is off the chain !!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: BOATS

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/09/11 05:46 PM

STREN Original mono is still one of the best lines out there jmo
Posted By: fancast

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/18/11 04:58 PM

Sufix (tri-titanium plus copolymer)low stretch ideal for fresh and saltwater. High abrasion resistant. I'm not a fan of all the Sufix products, but this line really performs for me. Academy started selling this line recently.
Posted By: Bamacraw

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/19/11 05:01 PM

I've used several expensive and non-expensive 12# florocarbons for my crankbait rods and after half a day of fishing they start breaking on the cast. I just respooled with spiderwire 14# mono and I'm hoping for better reults. I'm concerned that I won't get my cranks as deep but I'm willing to try anything else at this point.
Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/20/11 04:10 PM

What is the consensus on what lb test use?

Posted By: Hopedale

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 02/20/11 04:27 PM

Never mind.

Found another thread, which answers my question

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...use#Post4417268
Posted By: Txduckgunner

Re: Thinking of going back to Mono - 04/03/11 07:29 PM

I can deal with some memory in my line, but I can't deal with the memory of a lost fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum