Texas Fishing Forum

Looking to turn and paint lures advice???

Posted By: Matt Jackson

Looking to turn and paint lures advice??? - 08/15/17 06:13 PM

So I have been watching YouTube and am really interested in turning and painting lures. When you start out researching tools and supplies it gets overwhelming. I looking for advice for any chucks for the lathe and turning tools to buy. I like quality products and don't want to buy three sets to find the right one on the fourth. Same with an airbrush and accessories. Who has experience in working with wood lathes and painting lures that could direct me in the right direction? Don't want to break the bank but don't want to waste money on junk either.
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: Looking to turn and paint lures advice??? - 08/16/17 03:58 PM

This is a great subject that has been almost totally overlooked on this site. There are some wood carving duplicators that can produce wooden lures quickly and accurately...but they're expensive. I'm not sure how you make wooden lures on a lathe but it would be interesting to see what you're producing. As for the painting of wooden lures any good airbrush can get the job done. I recommend a Senco PC1010 air compressor and Iwata Revolution airbrush. The Senco is an awesome compressor and the Iwata is a great all round brush. Both reasonably priced. I use Createx acryllic paints and would suggest Wicked or Auto-Air Colors. If you intend on using oil paints I have no ideas as to what to use. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing a few posts of your work.

Re: Looking to turn and paint lures advice??? - 08/16/17 05:49 PM

Thank you very much for your response. As far as wood working goes my intentions are to make top waters like the spook, popping baits and might even bring back some old school lures. I'm so glad you posted because I almost pulled the trigger on a compressor and brush from Masters I believe last night. I did order some crankbait blanks and figured I would try my hand at that first to make sure it jives with me. If I can get the painting down then I will move over to turning lures. Question #3 what epoxy do you use to finish your baits with? Also any good websites to order paint and supplies from would be great.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Looking to turn and paint lures advice??? - 08/16/17 06:00 PM

Hobby Lobby for your paint needs. I prefer Wicked Paints.

Re: Looking to turn and paint lures advice??? - 08/16/17 08:04 PM

Looks like there are 7 revolution models. Should I be looking at the CR and HP models?
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: Looking to turn and paint lures advice??? - 08/16/17 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Matt Jackson
Looks like there are 7 revolution models. Should I be looking at the CR and HP models?

The Iwata Revolution HP-CR is a good versatile brush. Its easy to use and does pretty well for detail work. I use an Iwata Hi-Line HP-CH for fine line work. Hobby Lobby is a good source for paints, however, the complete Createx line of colors is available from Blick Art.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum