Texas Fishing Forum

First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern

Posted By: Bois d'arc

First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/06/15 12:31 AM

Tried a Redbreast Bream pattern on a 2.5 knockoff this evening. Mostly freehand painting...with a .6 needle...still don't have a detail brush....gill stripes are from a stencil. Probably will change the gill stripes to a much smaller line size as soon as I get a detail airbrush and make the vertical stripes thinner and not ending at the same height. Also thinking of using a more crimson-red mix for the stripes and belly coloration. Not sure if red eyes are right. Any constructive observations and/or comments are appreciated.
Posted By: basscat dad

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/06/15 01:07 AM

hi bois!i think you're on the right track with the changes to the gill and vertical stripes. they are too prominent. i do like the unique treatment on the belly. the eyes look black in the pics and i liked them. i think i would use black.

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/06/15 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: basscat dad
hi bois!i think you're on the right track with the changes to the gill and vertical stripes. they are too prominent. i do like the unique treatment on the belly. the eyes look black in the pics and i liked them. i think i would use black.

Thanks for the comments BC. I agree the black eyes suggestion is a good one. More and thinner lines on the gill plates and lip are a must. Also, I forgot the dark gill flap entirely...the vertical lines on a male redbreast are just random reddish scales that form a few loosely vertical lines from the belly upward...very hard to recreate...at least for me. This paint schedule still needs some tuning...thanks again for your input.

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/16/15 04:33 PM

Redbreast bream version 2.0...... Thanks for any constructive observations and/or comments.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/16/15 04:57 PM

Simply amazing. I would frame that one if I had made it.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/16/15 04:58 PM

Wow very nice should look even better with a topcoat.

Only problem I see with them is the fact that there isn't a couple in my tacklebox.

I guess know your species better than I do I would have said that was a pumpkinseed.
Posted By: C Worthy

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/16/15 05:03 PM

U dun dunnit agin. smile Great job bud.

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/16/15 08:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
Wow very nice should look even better with a topcoat.

Only problem I see with them is the fact that there isn't a couple in my tacklebox.

I guess know your species better than I do I would have said that was a pumpkinseed.

Thanks Brad. You're right a good topcoat really makes a lure look better. That's a female redbreast sunfish in the pictures. The males get really red during the spawn....haven't figured out how to duplicate the spots/stripes on the males...the lines go from the belly upward to the lateral line...very random. Thinkin' a Pumpkinseed bream will be a lot more difficult to paint. It's in the works for later.

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/16/15 08:49 PM

Originally Posted By: C Worthy
U dun dunnit agin. smile Great job bud.

Thanks CW I appreciate your feedback. I'm working on a line of custom painted lures that look like preyfish known to be on the Largemouth Bass menu. So far I have a Bluegill, White Crappie, Threadfin Shad, Baby Bass, and maybe this Redbreast Bream. I'm trying to get feedback from other painters and fishermen on these paint schedules so as to make them as natural looking as possible....and appealing to fishermen also. Once they're good enough I'll probably sell a few to pay for my "habit"....bass angling.
I'm thinking the gill tab on this one may need to be a little more horizontal looking.....
Posted By: stuntmandave

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/16/15 08:52 PM

That's awesome, great job!

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/16/15 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
Simply amazing. I would frame that one if I had made it.

Appreciate the comment. I've seen a few lures that were custom painted for collectors....unbelievable...you could put them in an aquarium and they would pass for real...amazing detail...takes many years of experience and lots of talent I'm guessing.
Posted By: crankn101

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/16/15 09:09 PM

cheers
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/16/15 11:55 PM

Probably one of the nicest in that pattern I have ever seen. Hell of a job. That is real talent right there.

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/20/15 02:46 PM

hi bois! i think you nailed the red breast. that may be the most natural bait pattern i've seen you do. excellent work.

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/20/15 02:56 PM

Thanks BC and Mark. I brushed and clear coated a few 1.5's this weekend. Tried adding just a mist of iridescence over the back. The color looks fantastic in slightly stained water...just enough flash to look like the real thing. Also added a little blood red splatter on the side of one bait to make it look injured....not sure if I like it?? Can't wait to throw one at some hungry texas bass!

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/20/15 05:33 PM

Originally Posted By: boisarc
Thanks BC and Mark. I brushed and clear coated a few 1.5's this weekend. Tried adding just a mist of iridescence over the back. The color looks fantastic in slightly stained water...just enough flash to look like the real thing. Also added a little blood red splatter on the side of one bait to make it look injured....not sure if I like it?? Can't wait to throw one at some hungry texas bass!

ok bois...this is approaching the level of a professional. i mean even the hook hangers are clean as a whistle. how in the world did you do that?

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/22/15 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: basscat dad
ok bois...this is approaching the level of a professional. i mean even the hook hangers are clean as a whistle. how in the world did you do that?

Very slowly grin.... I used an Xacto knife and whittled the clear coat out of the hook hangers. Makes it a little easier to get split rings on. Been experimenting with a "Barfish" pattern lately. So far so good.
Posted By: ETBA

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/24/15 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: boisarc

That's gotta be one of(if not the best) sunfish paintjobs I've ever seen. thumb
Posted By: psalty

Re: First shot at a Redbreast Bream pattern - 04/24/15 10:16 PM

The awesomeness is nearing routine for you.
Lookin' gooooood !!!!!!!!!! flehan
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum