Texas Fishing Forum

Please Help!

Posted By: AvidOutdoors7

Please Help! - 10/06/18 12:33 AM

I cant seem to heat my plastisol right... I have Do-It essential series plastisol and a hot plate, I keep the plastisol on the plate and stir pretty frequently... my plastisol seems to skip the gel stage and gets really really thick, Its never that good syrup type consistency I get when remelting baits Ive already used.. Am I doing something wrong or what?
Posted By: Dustin Aldous

Re: Please Help! - 10/06/18 05:32 AM

It sounds like it’s not getting hot enough. Ideally you want your plastisol to be between 325-340 degrees. If you are able to, try getting a cheap microwave somewhere and heat it that way if the plate isn’t working.

Re: Please Help! - 10/06/18 11:14 AM

ok! hopfully thats it! I thought about that late last night because I remembered I didnt have the plate turned up all the way.Ill try again later today and see if I can get it!
Posted By: psalty

Re: Please Help! - 10/06/18 12:36 PM

Ahoy fellow hand pourer- I am now both injecting as well as hand pours.
I began with the hot plate and I found that you need to observe closely at all times to prevent from scorching,
I mostly re-melting and add plastisol from Grub Lures when the re-melts are rather hard formula type.
I changed over to microwaving with a 700 watt microwave from Walmart for $40.
Definitely worth it and much easier. 2cents

Re: Please Help! - 10/06/18 08:40 PM

Im very new to injecting so I thank you for the tip!

Re: Please Help! - 10/08/18 06:19 AM

Try not to heat more than a min at a time until you get it down. Plastisol can scorch easily. If you are dealing with fresh plastisol you can watch it in the microwave go from milky white to clear and get an idea of how long you can microwave it at one time. I typically run 4oz for about 1:30-2 min when fresh then 45 seconds occasionally stopping and stirring until it reaches temp.

Re: Please Help! - 10/08/18 06:31 PM

Update: I got the plastisol to work, Dustin was right, but I have a new problem lol. My Pyrex exploded on me after 5-6 different batches... what causes a pyrex to explode on you and how can you prevent it?
Posted By: fisheastex

Re: Please Help! - 10/09/18 07:09 PM

Was it a real Pyrex or some other brand? I've been using the same Pyrex for almost 2 years now.

Re: Please Help! - 10/10/18 02:45 PM

I think it may be some other brand, has no name on it, would that be my problem?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Please Help! - 10/11/18 02:50 AM

Make sure there is no water in the mixture. Make sure you aren't putting the glass directly on the heating element. Make sure you aren't flashing with cool water in the glass container. I have a bucket of water near by, when I de-mold, I put the baits directly in the bucket of water; when I am re-heating the plastisol in the microwave between my 3rd and 4th pours, I pull cooled baits from the bucket and begin drying them.

Re: Please Help! - 10/11/18 05:39 PM

Go to Walmart and the anchor brand is borosilicate glass. The pyrex cups aren't stable with heat anymore.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Please Help! - 10/11/18 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dustin Aldous
Go to Walmart and the anchor brand is borosilicate glass. The pyrex cups aren't stable with heat anymore.

Been using the Anchor brand no problem

Had a Pyrex cake pan explode/shatter into a hundred pieces. If cool water comes into contact with hot Pyrex, it can rupture and shatter rapidly.

Re: Please Help! - 10/11/18 10:43 PM

dang! Ill go look for some this week at some point.
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Please Help! - 10/12/18 11:14 AM

A couple other things to remember. Never use pyrex if it has a chip in it and never set it down on a cold surface like metal or concrete. I have a wood bench now but when didn't I kept a piece of plywood on the bench to set hot cups on. I also have a high sided griddle that I heat up and set hot cups in with no problem and it helps keep the plastic workable for a little longer.
Posted By: SenkoSam

Re: Please Help! - 10/14/18 05:49 AM

Also remember: preheated plastic take much less time to get to pouring consistency than new plastic.

heat plastic to the least pouring or injection temperature. Around 300 degree F does fine and also doesn't
change the plastic's color as much as using a temp of 325 or more.

glitter shrinks and color fades to white with higher temperatures and over three reheats. Another reason to use
a minimum temperature.

use the smallest pyrex cup and the least amount of plastic unless you're making many lures at one time to avoid
having excess plastic lying around.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum