Texas Fishing Forum

Swimbait Wood

Posted By: Garett

Swimbait Wood - 08/29/18 06:02 PM

I can’t seem to find the answer for this anywhere. Does anyone know what type of wood Roman made swimbaits are made from? And if so, would you recommend it or is a different wood better?
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Swimbait Wood - 09/08/18 02:33 PM

Try Basswood if you are looking to make some yourself. May not be what Mothers are made of but it is good wood.

It works well for lures just make sure you plan you hardware well.
Posted By: teambassmanager

Re: Swimbait Wood - 09/24/18 05:55 AM

Mother is made from wood that is native to it's land in Japan. If you do some deep research on the wood for carving around Japan you will find the name.. I forget it without having to dive back into the wormhole.
Posted By: cubbies24

Re: Swimbait Wood - 09/25/18 04:27 PM

I want to say it's Paulownia if I'm not mistaken.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Swimbait Wood - 10/13/18 01:26 AM

Poplar I believe is the name is what I’ve been using
Posted By: Packrattusnongratus

Re: Swimbait Wood - 09/19/19 01:38 AM

I haven't had exposure to those items. I have just started but am using basswood, have some forms started of Balsa, and some cypress drying. I don't have poplar but may get some to try. My cypress is maybe dry enough. It isn't anything near as heavy as when I harvested it. I have more in earlier drying stages. I don't like the principle of buying my wood. I am strictly a hobbyist and don't sell anything, with no plans to do so. All for fun and the intent to use all of them. I have a grandson who is beginning to make wood crankbaits too. We have a bit of fun together. Good luck and Be Well. Packy
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum