Texas Fishing Forum

Tilapia color soft plastics

Posted By: CCTX

Tilapia color soft plastics - 12/25/17 08:47 PM

Tilapia are mostly dull pearl with grayish stripes

Tilapia colored soft plastics are a dark green pumpkin with blue and black flake

Is this just an example of marketing a color to fishermen?

Or is there green pumpkin and blue in tilapia, and I’m just not seeing it?
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 12/26/17 01:51 AM

With over 100 varieties in the Tilapia family it's going to be hard to find consistency unless custom painted to represent local varieties. The more mass marketed a color the more likely to see variations.

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 12/26/17 02:56 AM

Thanks KD. My daughter has convinced me now that tilapia colored soft plastics are more gray than green

Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 12/28/17 03:40 PM

The tilapia I've seen in Perky and Martin Creek are either very light green(females) almost invisible to almost solid black(males). I have seen a couple variants of those colors but that seems to be the norm.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 12/28/17 07:42 PM

Just had this discussion last night with a friend of mine.
I like a light green (watermelon) with a touch of purple on it when I'm fishing waters with Tilapia in them.

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 12/29/17 01:15 AM

Thanks for the feedback. Very much appreciated. I’ve been puzzled getting a good tilapia soft plastic color

I’m going to try light green mixed with a drop or two of black. Maybe some violet hi-light and some blue flake

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 12/30/17 05:04 AM

I found three recipes for tilapia color; they all had green pumpkin and blue flake. Two had violet highlight and silver+gold flake. I added a couple drops of black. Another recipe had amber

Ended up doing Tilapia/420 laminate senkos, craws, and 10 inch worms

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 01/03/18 07:54 PM

Made some Tilapia colored skirts to go with the plastics

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 01/04/18 01:22 PM

Those skirts look good with the flash and all!

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 01/04/18 01:58 PM

Thanks, picked up the skirt material from Barlow's yesterday.
They had exactly what I was looking for--gray/silver/green
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 01/14/18 07:10 AM

I kinda blended several tilapia subspecies into this one. If you could do something similar in a drop shot type worm I would sure buy some. White/silver with a hint of green, lavender, and pink.

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 01/14/18 01:01 PM

Those look awesome
As you can see, I make my own molds out of plaster of Paris and rtv silicone; so they won’t be machine perfect

I do have two different 7.5 inch finesse worm molds that I’ve made. They’ve worked well for me on drop shot and shaky (see pic below). At times, I do cut them to make them shorter
I owe you for a couple of jerkbaits any way; please pm your Mailing address)

I’ll pour some this week in a color scheme you suggested and ship them next weekend

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 01/21/18 08:17 PM

Brad—send me a pm with your address if you’d like to try any

Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 01/23/18 09:52 PM

I know in the old days of fishing Fairfield that was stocked with Tilapia when we were fishing for bass we used to use Rainbow Trout RatLTraps. They worked great for the bass and would have a good old Redfish hit every once in a while also.

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 01/24/18 10:16 PM

Posted By: psalty

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 01/24/18 10:26 PM

Dittoes on another masterpiece!

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 01/26/18 01:55 AM

Holographic version, also bug thanks to Collin county for the custom plastics will be using them on squaw in a few weeks.
Posted By: Bois d'arc

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 02/02/18 11:48 PM

I was reading this post and figured I'd try to cobble together a Nile Tilapia pattern. It was done on an Academy 1.5 square bill blank that had been stripped for repainting. All the color is in pearls and opaques. Took a couple of hours to finish. Its not clear coated or glittered yet. Really makes for an interesting look in direct sunlight.

(not the best photo but it'll do)
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 02/03/18 02:36 AM

It's beautiful!
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 02/03/18 09:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Bois d'arc
I was reading this post and figured I'd try to cobble together a Nile Tilapia pattern. It was done on an Academy 1.5 square bill blank that had been stripped for repainting. All the color is in pearls and opaques. Took a couple of hours to finish. Its not clear coated or glittered yet. Really makes for an interesting look in direct sunlight.

(not the best photo but it'll do)

damn...

Re: Tilapia color soft plastics - 03/12/18 05:47 PM

^^ that's some good stuff!! they are darn near invisible and that captures it well.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum