Texas Fishing Forum

Keep Powder Paint From Chipping?

Posted By: ReeceKennedy

Keep Powder Paint From Chipping? - 11/21/17 03:40 PM

How do you powder pain your jig heads for the highest quality? The ones I buy that are pre-painted chip easily and I want to do it myself.
Posted By: JCHANDLER

Re: Keep Powder Paint From Chipping? - 11/21/17 04:01 PM

Propane burner and the powder, that's it! Heat it and dip it.
Posted By: ScottSecs

Re: Keep Powder Paint From Chipping? - 11/21/17 09:32 PM

You also need to bake them in the oven for the prescribed time - this sets the paint and hardens the finish - a cheap toaster oven keep your jigheads out of the kitchen and you out of trouble....

Re: Keep Powder Paint From Chipping? - 11/22/17 02:59 AM

lol! Thanks for the info.
Posted By: cadman

Re: Keep Powder Paint From Chipping? - 11/22/17 03:10 PM

Sorry double post
Posted By: cadman

Re: Keep Powder Paint From Chipping? - 11/22/17 03:11 PM

You can also clear coat them with 2 part epoxy. Jig finish will last 3 to 4 times longer. Once clearcoat starts wearing just r-apply clearcoat to bottom of jig.

Re: Keep Powder Paint From Chipping? - 11/23/17 12:23 AM

That’s a good idea! Thanks.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Keep Powder Paint From Chipping? - 12/25/17 12:41 PM

Great tips.
Posted By: B.K.S.

Re: Keep Powder Paint From Chipping? - 12/30/17 10:41 PM

+1 on the baking and clear coat!
Posted By: bigbasshunter

Re: Keep Powder Paint From Chipping? - 01/06/18 08:39 PM

Get your powderpaint a good propane torch when the torch is fired hold the jig head out too the end of the flame flip it back and fourth for about 15 seconds dip the jig and remove it quick if your use a flow bed the eye of the hook will stay clear i add up to 5 color of powderpaint to 1 application before i fire the jigs i use a big two door gas oven i had built special for curing the powderpaint the ovens have fans i bake the jig heads at 300 degrees for 30 minutes that get the colors to make a swirl pattern ever jig head has a different color pattern ive have been blending multiple color on my jig heads now for 6 years now. With all the silicone color material on the market CSI make it east too match about any color jig head and skirt you want to add and and custom weedguard you want to add to the jig to finish it off.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum