Texas Fishing Forum

Finally learning to read!

Posted By: varnoldi

Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 01:30 PM

I did not get into fishing until about 2 years ago, and last winter started fishing almost weekly weather permitting . Got a new Garmin fish finder for Christmas. After reading post on here daily , I finally feel that I have an understand of what is happening on my electronics. Saturday afternoon I located this feeding school and got my first ever limit!! 28 of of 39 fish were keepers and seeing my 8 year old son reel in 10 bass on his own was awesome! Best fishing day I've had ever!!

Posted By: RWCAT

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 02:04 PM

Congrats!!!
Posted By: BendaRod(WC)

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 02:53 PM

Awesome job!
Posted By: etu

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 02:56 PM

That's an awesome feeling! Congrats
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 02:58 PM

Excellent job DAD!!!
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 03:28 PM

They can run,...but they can't hide. Great job. fish
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 05:06 PM

Well done!!
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 05:21 PM

Congrats, and good job. Fishing, having fun and making good memories with you kid can't be beat. cheers
Posted By: oakpointaggie

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 05:59 PM

Thanks for the great post. Can explain why you thought these where feeding on your finder? I'm still learning as well.

Thankyou
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 06:10 PM

Finding fish is more fun for me than catching them, thumb

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 07:08 PM

OAKPOINTAGGIE the feeding part was more of a dropping a line and finding out kind of thing. BUT from what I've read on here, if you get red strikes showing up on the fish finding while the boat is sitting still - its a sign the fish are striking bait .
Posted By: oakpointaggie

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 10:40 PM

Good job. I'll keep that in mind.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/21/17 11:03 PM

Fish on the bottom or at the top are often pushing bait and may be feeding. Fish suspended are often loafing and can be difficult to get to bite.
Posted By: Andrew Taylor

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/22/17 12:28 AM

thats what im talking about cool
Posted By: DrWhiplash

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/22/17 02:58 AM

Hard to beat right there cheers Great post fish
Posted By: gborg

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/22/17 01:34 PM

There are some very generous anglers on this section. One can learn volumes from the intel given , provided that a learning curve has been established or started. The best of the best have spent hours on the water learning and applying . One still has to put in the time to excel ! Good solid post, Thx.

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/22/17 02:08 PM

Thanks for all the support guys! Spent many weekends with only getting one or two fish out of dumb luck. Now if we can just repeat the process this weekend !!
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/22/17 10:27 PM

Lol I thought you meant school book reading but you are reading "school" instead lol. Back when it took me a while to learn to read also even after several guided trips. Remember to look at your graph when you are catching. You can fine tune it during catching time also. Short arches are fast mover fish, longer spaghetti are slow movers. I get excited looking at the graph and seeing good markings! Congrats smile
Posted By: Chaparro75

Re: Finally learning to read! - 08/23/17 04:31 AM

Originally Posted By: gborg
There are some very generous anglers on this section. One can learn volumes from the intel given , provided that a learning curve has been established or started. The best of the best have spent hours on the water learning and applying . One still has to put in the time to excel ! Good solid post, Thx.

I agree.
Took my son last Wednesday to Ray Hubbard with some intell I found on this forum. Second spot we got to sand bass busting on the surface all to our selves. Only problem trolling motor battery was dead. Managed to get my 8yr old son on 16 fish. He was casting, hooking and just about landing them on his own. We headed home with him saying that it was the best fishing trip of his life. I guess the time we went to Port Mansfield and limited out on 15 trout and caught 5 reds didn't count.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum