Texas Fishing Forum

New dock light

Posted By: Jason5366

New dock light - 08/05/17 01:36 AM

I will be installing an underwater light next wk on pk. Dock is in about 20 ft of water. Anyone have an informed opinion on how far off the bottom to suspend it?
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: New dock light - 08/05/17 02:52 AM

The green lights I fish on the docks at PK seem to be about 2 ft under the water.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: New dock light - 08/05/17 01:54 PM

depends on the light. If you bought a halogen, put it on the bottom. If it's LED put about two feet down. Either way you will soon have a good fishing hole.
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: New dock light - 08/05/17 08:06 PM

Keep the light about 5-6 underwater. The biggest thing is the power cord. Run it straight down to the bottom from the dock and straight up underneath the light. This will keep idiot fishermen from hanging up in it all the time. Yours truly idiot fisherman!!!
Posted By: etu

Re: New dock light - 08/06/17 02:13 PM

Yours truly roflmao
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: New dock light - 08/08/17 05:00 PM

When I bought mine they told me about 10' down and I have 17' under my dock. I ran the power cord thru PVC so that we wouldn't get hooks in it.
Underwaterfishlight.com Fishlight.com
Best light for the money I found super bright and they are very helpful.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: New dock light - 08/09/17 03:27 AM

Cord thru PVC pipe is great idea, I would think 2-5' down should be plenty.
Too deep and you won't be able to see what's cruising around it at night from the dock.
Posted By: scruboak

Re: New dock light - 08/09/17 08:23 AM

Coord's to all lights. I promise not to hook your electrical on purpose and if TFF person might share catch.
Posted By: Joe Todd

Re: New dock light - 08/09/17 11:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Filletmaker
When I bought mine they told me about 10' down and I have 17' under my dock. I ran the power cord thru PVC so that we wouldn't get hooks in it.
Underwaterfishlight.com Fishlight.com
Best light for the money I found super bright and they are very helpful.
Sounds Idiot proof. If it is on PK then let me know where it is and I will try it out this winter and let you know. banana banana
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: New dock light - 08/11/17 03:13 PM

At 10 feet this light is super bright on the surface you can see lots of fish. The fish, Crappie, Sandbass, Yellow Bass even swim upside down in it. It's funny to watch. I was told that the fish think the bulb where its the brightest is the surface of the lake. So they think the bottom is the top and the top is the bottom. We have Black Bass that have taken up home around the light. They swim the correct way but stay around the edges and dart in and out after the shad and minnows.
It's like watching fish in a aquarium. I watched a small turtle the other night chase minnows around and around, he wasn't fast enough to catch one but he kept trying. I was LMAO. roflmao
Posted By: Cane Pole

Re: New dock light - 08/19/17 03:10 PM

Question for the group... thought I would springboard off of Jason's question since they are similar but different...

I live on Eagle Mountain Lake so the water is not as clear as PK. My dock sits in 7 foot of water. With water conditions being stained in spring and somewhat "clearer" in summer - how deep would you put the lights for best results? Also how far out from the dock would you place the lights or would you place it directly under the dock?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.. Thanks in advance
Posted By: spro

Re: New dock light - 08/21/17 09:32 PM

I put mine about 3-4 ft deep. and about 6 ft from the dock on lake granbury. You can always adjust the depth later if you don't like the results. Just make sure they are deep enough for fluctuating water depth. You don't want them coming out of the water. They will burn out.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: New dock light - 08/22/17 05:52 AM

The Underwater Lights are entertaining to say the least... I'd keep them high enough to keep them away from boat props and trolling motors. then you have to keep up with the water levels in high traffic areas. Ideally, you want enough room for certain fish to keep on top of the light and enough room for other species (bass/crappie) to feel comfortable enough with the shadows underneath as well as on top. Depends on the depth, but I keep mine of the bottom 2-3ft in 7-12ft. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Cane Pole

Re: New dock light - 09/08/17 06:35 PM

Thanks guys for the input... very much appreciated... cant wait to get it in the water
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum