Texas Fishing Forum

A Bit Tough on RC but.....

Posted By: Gone Fishin'

A Bit Tough on RC but..... - 07/30/17 12:14 AM

we still managed a box of fish every outing this week. The Top water bite on the Flats & Main Lake that had been so good for June & early July went away about 10 days ago. The White Bass have really been scattered most days, suspended in 30' plus FOW, a bit tough to find and even tougher to get to bite. I have never been a "Troller" but those that do enjoy dragging a Hell/Pet Rig around can catch the fish. I can't tell that a Thermocline has set in but the pattern we're on says that something is about to happen. I found ALL my fish that would eat this week in 15' or less water, wayyyy up the Creek Channels on Points, Humps and Ledges. Still catching them on or near the bottom on RSR Slabs and a Jig Teaser. Had a limit of 50 Whites on Monday up the Chambers Creek. Just got lucky with a cloudy, breezy and even a few scattered Showers type AM. Didn't fish Tuesday and called off Wednesday for some Seniors that wanted to avoid the heat. Thursday was tough as nails for Whites so we pulled out the Catfish Rods and Bait and loaded the box with Eater Blues. White Bass action was better on Friday & Saturday as we managed 40 to 50 Keepers before once again going after the Catfish. (Awesome Catfish action as we're putting 40-50 Eaters in the box in about an hour!!!) Both days we were up the Richland Arm of the Lake. Most of our Customers don't care what's on the end of the line and this is good! RC is known for Catfish and they are a great fallback when the Sandies don't cooperate. Here's some of the Dads, Kids, Granddads and Customers from this week. Got August openings if you want to get in on the action!

Posted By: CenTexan

Re: A Bit Tough on RC but..... - 07/30/17 02:00 AM

I hate trolling too. But the Hell Pet will produce on those suspended fish. Nice Report.

Re: A Bit Tough on RC but..... - 07/30/17 09:24 PM

Cen Texan,

My Guide Friends who use Live Bait, & one particular Guide who downrigs and trolls for the Hybrids were even having trouble this past week. They could find the fish but couldn't get them to eat well. When it's this way on those suspended fish, us Artificial Lure Guides are usually out of luck. Adam and I have a pattern that normally works this time of year and thank goodness we are finding a few shallow water fish that will eat. Hopefully this short cool down, and then the real Fall weather change takes us back to the Good Old Days when the Fall was as good as the Spring! dance2
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: A Bit Tough on RC but..... - 07/31/17 12:10 AM

Yes Sir! I have mad respect for the guides this time of year. As we approach August, it brings, suspended, scattered, and often lock jawed fish. Not to mention thermocline. I graphed Striper all day today on Whitney and managed only two keepers on a U-Rig. They just flat out would not bite for me.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: A Bit Tough on RC but..... - 07/31/17 01:47 AM

Great pics Royce.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A Bit Tough on RC but..... - 07/31/17 02:22 AM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb

Re: A Bit Tough on RC but..... - 08/02/17 02:07 PM

Started this week off with a decent Monday and a nice box of Whites before we changed to Catfish. Main Lake activity still nothing going on so we got all our fish up the Richland Creek Arm in shallow water. Called off today and as of 9AM, almost 3 inches of much needed rain has fell! banana Got a boat open this Saturday and several days next week if anyone interested in some Whites and Catfish!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: A Bit Tough on RC but..... - 08/02/17 11:25 PM

Nice haul. thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum