Texas Fishing Forum

Best hybrid lake near DFW

Posted By: scubaarchery

Best hybrid lake near DFW - 06/24/17 02:00 PM

I hope this is not like asking what the best duck hunting lake is... but here goes. I have not typically fished for striper / hybrids but did with two guns and now I have the bug. There are plenty of Great Lakes around DFW that I have not fished and wanted to get folks opinion of which lakes within a one hour drive of Cabelas in Allen have a great hybrid/ striper fishery. I know Lewisville has hybrids but it also seems like a tough lake to fish.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 06/24/17 02:09 PM

TWOK is the best around here from what I have seen
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 06/24/17 02:10 PM

Striper = Texoma
Striper/Hybrid = Tawakoni

If want to go a little farther than 1hr, Whitney is good right now for striper.
Posted By: AKirby87

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 06/24/17 02:25 PM

My dad and I just recently got into hybrid fishing. What I've been doing is going on TPWD website and seeing what lakes around us have been stocked with them. We have been fishing Lewisville a lot because back in February and March we have had a bunch of really successful trips out there. But it has slowed down quite a bit for us so we've been looking for other lakes to try. Here's the link for Ray Hubbard. It shows to have great hybrid fishing and the stocking report shows to be consistent. We personally haven't fished it yet for hybrid but it looks promising.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/recreational/lakes/ray_hubbard/

Posted By: WilliamKidd

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 06/24/17 02:52 PM

Lewisville=recreation. TWOK=anglers

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 06/25/17 03:36 AM

Thanks for the information so far. I may try tawakoni.
Posted By: mickeytfc

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 06/25/17 11:52 AM

Lewisville can be very good, but as others have said, especially on summer weekends, very busy. Ray Hubbard similar but also good. Tawokoni a great option for you from Allen. Get after 'em!
Posted By: G Love

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 06/26/17 01:28 PM

Twok is the tip of the spear, imo. Striped fish, trophy cats, hell there's huge Bass in that lake too.
Posted By: Woodwzrd

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 09/12/17 12:39 AM

Nice Fish !!!!

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 09/12/17 01:32 AM

I have fished both Tawakoni and Lewisville with guides using live bait and the results were the same, hit a bunch of spots until you find them then catch them like crazy. Caught 17 at Lewisville with 4 people and 25 at Tawakoni with 3. Both lakes are good. If you have the extra hour and don't mind the drive then Tawakoni would be my favorite. For convenience I fish Lewisville.
Posted By: CenTexan

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 09/12/17 03:14 AM

Twok! Worth the drive.
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 09/12/17 03:20 AM

There aren't any fish in Tawakoni.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 09/12/17 12:00 PM

Sounds like we have a consensus folks! Lol
Posted By: I love fishing

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 09/12/17 05:36 PM

Stay away from Tawakoni! There's no fish! Lol
Posted By: Bigbob_FTW

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 09/13/17 05:12 PM

I'm going with bridgeport.
Posted By: Not2Old2Fish

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 09/13/17 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: scubaarchery
I hope this is not like asking what the best duck hunting lake is... but here goes. I have not typically fished for striper / hybrids but did with two guns and now I have the bug. There are plenty of Great Lakes around DFW that I have not fished and wanted to get folks opinion of which lakes within a one hour drive of Cabelas in Allen have a great hybrid/ striper fishery. I know Lewisville has hybrids but it also seems like a tough lake to fish.

Good question

Originally Posted By: scubaarchery
I have fished both Tawakoni and Lewisville with guides using live bait and the results were the same, hit a bunch of spots until you find them then catch them like crazy. Caught 17 at Lewisville with 4 people and 25 at Tawakoni with 3. Both lakes are good. If you have the extra hour and don't mind the drive then Tawakoni would be my favorite. For convenience I fish Lewisville.

Nice answer
Posted By: Dennis Christian

Re: Best hybrid lake near DFW - 09/14/17 01:22 PM

I've fished Twok, Hubbard, Cedar Creek, Eagle Mountain and Richland Chambers multiple times and the edge goes to Twok. On one trip a friend and I caught 22 legal hybrids along with loads of sand bass all on structure - none on top water schooling. Never have come close to catching that many hybrids in one trip anywhere else.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum