Texas Fishing Forum

Colorado Bend State Park

Posted By: Elktex

Colorado Bend State Park - 01/18/17 09:51 PM

Anyone been up there in the last few weeks? I have a feeling this rain and increased flow will get the run started. If not, I bet it won't be long until they're in there.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 01/19/17 04:03 AM

Welcome to TFF Elktex. Where you located. Had a great time last year during the run. Looking for another big run this year. Here is last years CBSP thread. cheers

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11493049/1
Posted By: Mebo31

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 01/19/17 03:47 PM

Does the park have full hook-ups for campers?

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 01/19/17 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: KG68
Welcome to TFF Elktex. Where you located. Had a great time last year during the run. Looking for another big run this year. Here is last years CBSP thread. cheers

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11493049/1
Thanks for the welcome. I'm from Georgetown, and have been going out there for several years and love it. Really hammered them last year mid February.

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 01/19/17 06:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Mebo31
Does the park have full hook-ups for campers?

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/colorado-bend/fees-facilities/campsites
Posted By: RWCAT

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 01/19/17 07:14 PM

welcome
Posted By: atxbandit

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 01/22/17 05:52 AM

Last year was the best in a long time. Went out Feb 12-13 and did good. Went back Feb 28-Mar 2 and tore EM up.

That was March 1st

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 01/27/17 11:48 PM

I need a fishing report from CBSP. Some pretty nice weather coming next week. banana
Posted By: 1961Yaloo

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 01/29/17 04:38 PM

I was told yesterday that they were catching some small whites and small crappie up there. Guys in boats were doing the best.
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 01/29/17 06:17 PM

Fished it yesterday. Slow. 3 small whites and 1 small large mouth
Posted By: mg64

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 02/07/17 03:37 AM

Anyone have recent news on CBSP?

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 02/08/17 04:14 PM

Forecast was for 82 degrees and light winds yesterday and my wife and I took the plunge and drove down to CBSP for the day. Carried our 16 ft. river boat and got on the water about 11am and fished until 6pm.. Weather was beautiful which made for a great day but the fishing is still slowwwwwwwwwww. We caught 8 dink whites and 1 12"incher. Everything was caught on chartreuse 1/8 oz roadrunner jigs. I alternated back and forth with white but never caught a fish with it.
Posted By: YellowDogFish

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 02/08/17 04:41 PM

Keep the updates rolling in.

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 02/16/17 06:00 PM

Heading up to the park for four days starting next Thursday. Hopefully I'll come back with a good report.

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 02/22/17 02:47 AM

Colorado is on a 3' rise here in Mills County this afternoon. Not sure about the San Saba river but rain was 1" to 1 1/2" area wide. Probably dirty the water some by the weekend at CBSP. Not sure if it will help or hurt the fishing.

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 02/22/17 03:28 AM

I was looking at the upstream gauges this afternoon. Not a real big rise, but enough to concern me with a four day trip to the park coming up on Thursday. Could bring a new wave of fish upstream. I've seen that happen before. Who knows. If nothing else the catfish should be biting.

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/10/17 01:25 AM

Looks like a tight lip crowd to me.
Posted By: Drew86

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/10/17 01:42 AM

Yeah I think so
Posted By: TexasATC

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/10/17 06:51 AM

Headed down to the park tomorrow through Sunday. I'll provide a report once we get back.
Posted By: FaithFish

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/10/17 08:36 PM

Fished Monday 3/6 and the water was still dirty- Caught 2 small males-Going back This Monday for three days will report back!
Posted By: CWood23

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/12/17 12:59 AM

Caught 50 with my Father yesterday and 52 all catch and release today. First place we went only caught two in about two hours, moved around and caught our 50 in about another two hours. Was before the rain though.

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/12/17 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: CWood23
Caught 50 with my Father yesterday and 52 all catch and release today. First place we went only caught two in about two hours, moved around and caught our 50 in about another two hours. Was before the rain though.

Thanks for the report. Big females should start showing up soon.
Posted By: Tippy Beck

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/15/17 01:01 AM

I have been keeping an eye on your posts? Me and the family are going to bend this Thursday or Friday. I was hoping you had a new update?
Posted By: dbones

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/15/17 01:46 AM

Been hush hush on bend this yr.

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/15/17 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: dbones
Been hush hush on bend this yr.

I think one reason for that is the run is a month late this year. My wife and I have been four trips and haven't caught a female yet. We managed to catch 17 keeper males. The last two trips the river was up and muddy and we skunked. Hope to get back next week weather permitting and catch some females. thumb
Posted By: CWood23

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/15/17 04:40 PM

I will be going out there again Friday and Saturday. Of all the fish we caught last weekend, we only had three females from the ones we cleaned.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/17/17 01:48 AM

Headed there on a camping/fishing trip with my adult sons this weekend. I'll post a report next week.
Posted By: Woods Bass

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/17/17 02:23 AM

I fished Tuesday from noon to 6pm, just around a mile up river from the camp grounds, came close to getting my limit. 7 of the 21 were females. I heard second hand that the bite was on Wednesday early in the morning. Someone limited out before 10 am, I only fished a few hours that day and didn't have any luck. Although I watched another guy catch about 10 in about 2 hours most looked small probably all males.
Posted By: ABomb

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/17/17 02:17 PM

Around CBSP.... is it shore, wade, yak or small boat? I have a bass/crappie boat with a 90 hp and wonder if it's too much.

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/17/17 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By: ABomb
Around CBSP.... is it shore, wade, yak or small boat? I have a bass/crappie boat with a 90 hp and wonder if it's too much.

All of the above. Me I prefer a boat to get away from the crowd some. Upstream of the ramp 250 yards be careful of the rocks and very shallow. Downstream of the ramp around the first corner is the first set of falls. Some large rocks under water there also.
Posted By: rglass2323

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/17/17 03:14 PM

We drove out there last Saturday. The kayak fishermen are catching some males when going up river a ways. The females haven't made it yet.
Posted By: dbones

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/20/17 11:36 PM

Hopefully find some time to make it this yr.
Posted By: tonyguitarguy

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/21/17 04:32 PM

Is there a particular area to fish for whites during the run?
Posted By: kdub#1

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/21/17 04:55 PM

From what I understand, the shallows upriver from the ramp.
Posted By: quisdraw

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/24/17 03:12 PM

Went Tuesday with a buddy. Caught 20 in 3 hours upstream - about as far as you can go in a 12 foot boat with a trolling motor. The fish were 10.5 12" and all males. Fished Wednesday morning in the same area and caught another 20 with 3 of those being pre-spawn females. All fish were caught on chartreuse road runners with same color tail. Smaller lures worked better.
Posted By: Glitchmo

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/24/17 03:51 PM

Heading up there for a camping trip this weekend. Thanks for the encouraging report. I'm sure I'll figure it out when I get there, but how far up from the campground area is the first set of riffles?

Edit: Google maps implies that they're right in front of the campsites?

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/24/17 04:07 PM

Rocks and more current start almost a quarter mile up river of ramp.
Posted By: quisdraw

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/24/17 04:56 PM

I estimate the area we fished was about a mile and a quarter from the ramp.

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/24/17 06:18 PM

Great. Thanks!
Posted By: SeanH

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/25/17 04:45 AM

I took off work today and arrived at the park at about 2:30. Walked upstream from the parking area and flyfished from about 3 to 7:30. Caught 30 keepers. All were released. White Crazy Charlie produced but most were caught on a chartreuse/white beadhead Clouser. The fish are in the faster, shallower water and actively spawning.
Posted By: Naggler

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/25/17 05:56 AM

Thanks for the report and congrats on a great day! fish
Posted By: 1960texan

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/26/17 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: SeanH
I took off work today and arrived at the park at about 2:30. Walked upstream from the parking area and flyfished from about 3 to 7:30. Caught 30 keepers. All were released. White Crazy Charlie produced but most were caught on a chartreuse/white beadhead Clouser. The fish are in the faster, shallower water and actively spawning.

Thanks for the report and congrats on a great day fishing!

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 03/26/17 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By: SeanH

My experience yesterday was very similar. Got 4 in 45m or so, upstream of the north camping area. #4-6 White/chart clouser with bead eyes was the only fly I used. Shade fished better than sunny areas for me.
Posted By: waitinforabite

Re: Colorado Bend State Park - 04/01/17 03:06 PM

I am headed there tuesday, any more current reports? 3/25 was catching all males upstream from ramp about a mile. Hiping its full on now.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum