Texas Fishing Forum

First timer on Lavon

Posted By: hybridfisher

First timer on Lavon - 08/28/16 09:35 PM

Thinking about trying Lavon in the morning. Never fished it before. Will be looking for sandies.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Also, I am coming from Grand Prairie in I-30 so what launch ramp would be best for me to try?
Thank You!
Posted By: Desull

Re: First timer on Lavon - 08/28/16 09:48 PM

It's been a couple weeks since I have been able to fish but they were stacked up around the train trestle at Mallard Park. Mallard, Clear Lake or Collin park would good places to launch. Check the open times times for clear lake and collin... I think it is 8 am. Good luck. Last time I was out there it was hard to miss them.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: First timer on Lavon - 08/28/16 09:55 PM

It has toughened up out there and become more hit or miss for me. Mornings have been harder, but others have killed it out there.

Re: First timer on Lavon - 08/28/16 10:01 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Are the boat ramps open at all the parks?
Would launching at Mallard park be better than Lovonia park?

Re: First timer on Lavon - 08/29/16 12:06 AM

Both work. Mallard may be a little more protected depending on wind. Lavoni is safer. Pay to play, so rif-raf stays out.

Re: First timer on Lavon - 08/29/16 12:07 AM

Thanks Frank, Lavonia park it is!
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: First timer on Lavon - 08/29/16 02:19 AM

I like Collin Patk. If they are not open just park and pay on the way out. Read Carey's reports he tells you where and how to fish. Fish seem to school later in the morning. We have mostly been fishing little ridge, lavonia, glass house, and hybrid point.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: First timer on Lavon - 08/29/16 02:59 AM

Wind is NE 10mph tomorrow, so Lavonia should be safe. Lavonia may be the nearest to 30. Not sure the dock is still any good or you may have to beach ur boat. Check all the spots suggested above. Look for birds, even the areas near where the birds are sitting on the shore. Plan to fish later into the afternoon. PlanoKeith tipped me the sandies get bigger during the hot afternoon smile

Not sure what the North wind in August will effect the bites. You just never know until you go. Warning, Lavon is IMO the king of yellow bass lake also. Let us know how you do. Good luck.

FYI, the docks at Collin park are about 1.5 ft deep now. My prop kicked up mud. I hate to say it, Lavon got the least favorable ramps of all the lake I've fished and Lavon is the closest to me. Doh!

Re: First timer on Lavon - 08/29/16 07:46 PM

Thanks guys, I fished from 8:30 till noon. Caught three small sandies, no keepers. Ran a couple miles of the lake and didn't see any schooling. Looks like I got off right before the storms rolled in. It s pouring in Grand Prairie.
Posted By: IKELEVI

Re: First timer on Lavon - 08/30/16 02:18 AM

At least I wasn't the only one! Lol! I got one small one off the power plant. Just couldn't seem to find them Sunday.
Posted By: TarponFly

Re: First timer on Lavon - 09/01/16 07:32 PM

8-15 ft. We're still getting limits every morning. Afternoons are off and on. Normally I'm finding these fish in 10 foot of water on average right now. Same places as always, just shallower. If you can find the threadfin shad, sandy's should not be far behind.
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: First timer on Lavon - 09/01/16 11:34 PM

Fish are pretty shallow! Hammering them from the bank. Locate a steep bank near a flat=$ keep switching baits & technic you will get bit! Now remember I'm doing this from the bank, no need to get the boat out! Evenings been good for me will try early mornings this weekend

Re: First timer on Lavon - 09/02/16 03:13 AM

Thanks guys , I'll give Lavon another try sometime. My boat needs a little work now.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: First timer on Lavon - 09/02/16 03:26 AM

You should be able to find the birds. If not look hard between the RR bridge and the dam.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: First timer on Lavon - 09/02/16 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: TarponFly
8-15 ft. We're still getting limits every morning. Afternoons are off and on. Normally I'm finding these fish in 10 foot of water on average right now. Same places as always, just shallower. If you can find the threadfin shad, sandy's should not be far behind.
What do you mean by if? Heck they are everywhere. I have been fishing about 5' too deep. I was going to change things up with an evening trip on Sunday. Now you have me wondering.

Re: First timer on Lavon - 09/02/16 07:46 PM

They were schooled up hard at the SE corner of the dam Wednesday afternoon, but weren't really in a biting mood. I caught a few, but not many, it was smaller fish chasing tiny shad.
Posted By: Poppa P

Re: First timer on Lavon - 09/02/16 09:51 PM

This morning we had a small school chasing shad up the boat ramp at Lake land park. Caught about 30 with a couple mags throwed in.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum