Texas Fishing Forum

Put screws to the fish

Posted By: River Mongrel

Put screws to the fish - 03/27/16 12:44 AM

Went to Brazos and caught 27 fish ranging from 4lbs to 18.4. And caught (accede tally ) a blue heron that stole my shad on my hook. I have video but am Neanderthal at computers. Hera some pics.

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/27/16 12:45 AM

Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/27/16 12:51 AM

Be proud striper friend that's best anybody has done anywhere last few days! Great job!
Posted By: Ledeez

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/27/16 02:25 AM

Looks like money to me! Well done and nice pics!!
Posted By: Rebel noodler

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/27/16 08:44 AM

Nice fish.. Heading that way Wednesday and Thursday.. How far down from the dam were you?

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/27/16 03:15 PM

Rebel noodler we fished anywhere from Garland bend to dam. We were exhausted at the end of it. Good luck. We treid lures but they would just follow to end. I located some big schools of gizzards after hunting for an hour, and netted some. After that we had a great time. Problem is there are too many small fish in river. I was after a monster but unless you get large baits the odds go way down. Big gizzards are hard to find right now with my bait holes flooded. I know if and when I find 15" gizzards and bigger or giant bluegills I will be posting pics of cows. BTW we released all the bigger fish. Anything over 15 was released
Posted By: Lusca

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/27/16 04:12 PM

Very nice!
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/27/16 08:42 PM

Nice fish! Hope to see some cow pics after you catch those big shad!
Posted By: Let's go

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/27/16 09:42 PM

Nice stringer cheers
Posted By: BankAngler50

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/27/16 09:48 PM

18 is a pig! Good job, nice catch! thumb

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/28/16 04:54 AM

River mongrel I have actually never fished the river portion behind the dam.. Normally just throw big topwaters and big swim baits towards the wall with a surf rod.. Haven't had much luck in the past few weeks doing that but a few dinks.. I may have to hit the river part on Wednesday and Thursday
Posted By: Hittmanfish

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/28/16 01:48 PM

Well done. I'd love to see what you consider a cow if 18 isn't it!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/28/16 01:52 PM

Nice haul. Good job. thumb

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/28/16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Hittmanfish

Well in the 90s we got spoiled. But we have managed to hang into and land a few in the 20 to mid 20s in last four years. Lots in the teens. But in Feb of 2012 my friend Wade hooked one that swallowed a honest to goodness 18 inch shad and tore drag like nothing ive seen since the 90s. Fish of a lifetime for sure. Hook popped out. But this keeps me awake at night and coming back. Chris Carey of striper express gave me some tips on lures to try next trip. I hope to one day catch a big one on a lure. This throwing a net for 5 hrs to make bait is getting old.I can barely use my hands the next day. chris even said he might come down to show me how. I really hope he does!!!
Posted By: Hittmanfish

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/28/16 02:11 PM

Originally Posted By: River Mongrel
Originally Posted By: Hittmanfish

Well in the 90s we got spoiled. But we have managed to hang into and land a few in the 20 to mid 20s in last four years. Lots in the teens. But in Feb of 2012 my friend Wade hooked one that swallowed a honest to goodness 18 inch shad and tore drag like nothing ive seen since the 90s. Fish of a lifetime for sure. Hook popped out. But this keeps me awake at night and coming back. Chris Carey of striper express gave me some tips on lures to try next trip. I hope to one day catch a big one on a lure. This throwing a net for 5 hrs to make bait is getting old.I can barely use my hands the next day. chris even said he might come down to show me how. I really hope he does!!!

That's awesome! It's stories like these that keep you coming back for the "big one"!

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/28/16 02:31 PM

My wife is not happy argue
This "rockfish" was hungry.
Posted By: z7x374

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/28/16 06:50 PM

Awesome job! Is that an inflatable pontoon that I spy? Ive been wanting to take mine but heard it was a tough paddle and to only try in a kayak.

Re: Put screws to the fish - 03/28/16 07:20 PM

My buddys. I have a real kayak. Mine has a live bait tank on the back of it.

Re: Put screws to the fish - 04/18/16 08:37 AM

River mongrel, have you ever had any luck by the dam when they are letting water out heavy? I was thinking bout running by there Wednesday to see what it looks like

Re: Put screws to the fish - 04/18/16 12:12 PM

yes throw bucktails or flukes. Your going to loose most of them if your in the catch zone
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum