Texas Fishing Forum

Garmin Panoptix

Posted By: Diel11

Garmin Panoptix - 02/12/15 12:10 AM

I know this should be under electronics but I really think this will help striper/hybrid/white bass fisherman a lot. Maybe the Garmin boats at Texoma were testing this.

http://sites.garmin.com/en-US/panoptix/

Imagine the possibilities with being able to see distance and depth in 3D, at the same time as seeing the contours and structure. There have been rumors of 3D SI for a bit, but it looks like Garmin has figured out forward and down already.
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/12/15 12:23 AM

Yes on Tuesday we spoke with them and I believe that's sort of what they said...I'm not mr tech but awesome stuff they mentioned 3d updated blah blah etc smile
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/12/15 12:47 AM

You showed the garmin folks your flasher, Chris grin We'll ur on TV and major new papers etc. Etc. smile

Edit: record books too partyon
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/12/15 12:56 AM

I used to have a flasher and for the life of me can't remember what make it was, who was the big dog then?

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 01:22 AM

Here's a good video of this technology. The whole live view thing is impressive. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzR-RjeHppQ
Posted By: Rockwall Roy

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 01:46 AM

Where you going to fit that one? Lol.

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 01:49 AM

Pretty sure I can find a spot.

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 01:54 AM

I'm sure you will. The front could use another one. The onix looks lonely all by itself.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 01:54 AM

I had a flasher, it was Hummingbird. 3d technology has a ways to go yet but, it is exciting that it is moving in that direction.

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 01:59 AM

The front Onix will be gone Thursday. So yes, I have room already!!

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 02:03 AM

We need to start a fishing rehab group!
Posted By: BlueTuna

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 03:49 AM

Diel, that's pretty impressive we have worked with these technologies in our industries (aviation and gaming) it takes a lot of horsepower to push those graphics. Very cool!

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 01:55 PM

A buddy of mine is a treasure hunter out of Puerto Rico and the system he uses is a commercial version of this technology. They have 2 boats and they paid close to a million dollars for their sonar equipment. He said this stuff is nowhere near as powerful as what they use but that having a company offer it to the average consumer at a relatively low price is amazing. We'll see how it works in our market when it's released.
Posted By: BlueTuna

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 07:42 PM

The graphics I am seeing in the demo don't really ring my bells, but its the speed of the data that is interesting. You would be amazed at the 3d thermal imaging electronics out there. I haven't kept up with it, the last I worked with it, it was classified stuff and that was a while back. I think I would be more interested with the augmented reality side of things in navigation and looking at waterscape/landscape.

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 08:09 PM

Agree, definition is not quite there but seeing motion is good. Main thing that worries me is Garmin's reluctance to sharing their data with other 3rd party companies that can help with underwater mapping, etc.
Posted By: Cactusflyr

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 10:09 PM

Interesting....have to see it work in real life first though. Someone get one and pm me, lol. Like my 360, never been a garmin fan but who knows.
Posted By: benp

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 11:20 PM

That was pretty amazing, Being a younger Fisherman that grew up in the video game era, This technology is quite impressive and if price points are good there will be some interest. I do agree with the mapping and landscaping features that look amazing(historical view). The real time imaging is not as defined as it could be (I am sure this is costly), but the speed of playback is very impressive. My biggest thing is finding structure and contour as well as find schools of fish, once I find those things the electronics do not play as much of a part. I am not sure I ever want to watch a screen as my fish hits it but this is very cool. That being said, We will have to take your boat to the coast for sure Diel if you get this! lol

Re: Garmin Panoptix - 02/16/15 11:50 PM

We can watch fish hitting the lure now no problem, my wife has gotten really good at telling me to get ready to set the hook, hahahaha. But the thing I see with this technology is figuring out if fish are feeding aggressively or not. How many times are we chunking sassies and we are not sure whether you have fish following it or not? I know I've been out there before chunking away and then finally change the size of the lure and immediately get hit. If we were able to see the fish following the lure but not striking it the first time you cast, then immediately you can make a change and see results. We can do the lure change without the technology for sure, it's just cool to be able to see it. It's also a good thing to save the time and effort vs casting 15 times and then change the lure.

I think it will be cool to play with it, would like to test it myself and not have to rely on the marketing department or pro staff.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum