Texas Fishing Forum

Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!!

Posted By: TIM CLINE

Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/09/15 03:52 PM

Jacob Orr of Limitless outdoors had a client bust a 29 on his scales yesterday along with another one pushing 23 to 24 pounds! His client like many people do chose not to kill the fish and take it to be certified as the New Oklahoma Record for Texoma! This happens quite a bit on Texoma. The record for Oklahoma would be over 30 pounds if more people did take the time and if Oklahoma would have been keeping lake records like Texas has for many years! Oklahoma only started keeping water body records a few years ago. The good news this fish swam away strong and should get to pass on her genetics another year and possibly add a few more pounds and push the overall lake record in another year or two!

Posted By: L a r r y

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/09/15 04:32 PM

AWESOME CATCH!!!!!!!!
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/09/15 05:08 PM

thumb
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/09/15 05:25 PM

That is a great fish Jacob, congratulations and thanks for releasing her back.
Posted By: moonriver

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/09/15 06:51 PM

That's a giant.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/09/15 07:25 PM

I'm glad to see Jacob's name come up on the forum.. We go waaaay back. He's a good guy and a good guide!
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/09/15 10:34 PM

What a fish and fishies! Made the hunt worth while for sure. Congrats! flehan cheers partyon
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/09/15 11:34 PM

way to go! cheers
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/10/15 04:28 PM

Anyone have any ideas why Texoma wouldnt produce fish into the forty lb range? I cant come up with any. Great C and R BTW.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/10/15 04:43 PM

What a tackle buster!
Posted By: BlueTuna

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/10/15 05:05 PM

You got your man card punched on that one. Incredible to put a fish like that back in the water. Kudos my friend.
Posted By: Fishboy Frank

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/10/15 07:22 PM

That is impressive. That's the kind of fish most of dream about catching! Great job. And the release was a great gesture also. Very unselfish act right there.
Posted By: Kahuna

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/11/15 12:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Lightnin Rod
Anyone have any ideas why Texoma wouldnt produce fish into the forty lb range? I cant come up with any. Great C and R BTW.
Hot water in summer time is very hard on them. Fluctuating lake levels doesn't help.
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/11/15 12:48 AM

I think OK just started to read & write??? Nice Fish!

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/11/15 02:33 AM

One pic has an extra scale hanging in mouth and the next has a small human hanging from the tail! I'm sorry I couldn't resist. Nice fish none the less.
Posted By: Rockwall Roy

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/11/15 02:55 AM

Nice fish!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/11/15 03:23 AM

Awesome fish. Good job. cheers
Posted By: brush pile 1023

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/12/15 02:49 AM

thumb
Posted By: Tjhook

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/12/15 06:37 AM

Nice fish!!!my only question is with texoma being as deep as it is surly they can get big. I know my Hometown lake raytown lake in PA we'd catch average size at 30lbs some biggun pushed 40 or 45 with record high 50s. Why can't they get that large here. Can't be the lake trout allowing them to grow that large. There all kinds of healty fish in Texoma for them to get 50lbs on right??

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/12/15 02:45 PM

Originally Posted By: tjhook
Nice fish!!!my only question is with texoma being as deep as it is surly they can get big. I know my Hometown lake raytown lake in PA we'd catch average size at 30lbs some biggun pushed 40 or 45 with record high 50s. Why can't they get that large here. Can't be the lake trout allowing them to grow that large. There all kinds of healty fish in Texoma for them to get 50lbs on right??

A really seasoned guide on the lake told me the summers are hard on the bigger fish. I believe there are mid thirties and maybe even a forty in that lake. Some of the bigger ones find ways to live. Same guide told me he has caught striper in 7o ft of water.(Thats unheard of BTW) That tells me we dont know everything about these fish. To back that up alot of smaller fish died to following that summer induced fish kill. Did all of them die? Nope. Niether did all the bigger fish. Some lived. I hope anyways!!
Posted By: Hooky_Looky

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/12/15 09:18 PM

huge!
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/12/15 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: tjhook

They used to get that big below the dam and were caught regularly! The over fishing and poaching pretty much ended that. Probably combinations of things that have prevented stripers in the lake from breaking the 40 pound mark! Sheer numbers of stripers competing for the same food source, summer heat, floods, winter time shad kills and fishing pressure! Mortality rate after catching big fish here even if released quickly or caught on lures is still very high in the summer months! The stripers here reproduce naturally which gives us a new crop of fish every year. Unlike in stocked lakes where there maybe a couple years or so between some stocking limiting the numbers of fishing competing for the same size forage fish! I hope this answers your question but this is the best I can give because I don't think there is a specific answer.
Posted By: Fishing Frank

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/12/15 11:30 PM

Good job Tim.
Posted By: Robert Hunter

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/13/15 05:00 AM

I really believe that Tim Cline is on point with a lot of that. I manage some private lakes for trophy bass. We took over a new pond that was completely full of little baby bass we started pulling them out and throwing them on the bank. now we are catching a ton of big bass. Texoma has a very good population of reproducing stripers probably the best in the south. Plain and simple the fish were stunted they raised the limit to get more of those little "boxfish"out of there and now we are reaping the benefits of this. I just wish a lot more guys would take on that trophy fishery mentality and release those big fish. Go out and keep a limit of those little suckers and get them out of their little fish eat better anyways. If you'd like to get a mount done there are absolutely incredible replicas on the market today from many taxidermist. Had a guy ask me one time why I've caught so many bass over 10 pounds I told him you will never catch a 10 pound bass until you release one that weighs seven. Same thing at Lake fork I think a lot more people should be keeping a limit of unders would really help the fishery. I am sure the summers are hard on those fish sometimes but it would probably be a lot less stressful with a full belly of healthy fish with balanced numbers and plenty to eat just my .02. I get a 20 pound line side up to the boat I'm going to hold it in the water until the cameras ready lift it for a few quick pics and send her on her way.
Posted By: Scott Smith

Re: Texoma Record Class fish 28 to 30 pound fish!!!! - 02/13/15 05:34 PM

Robert Hunter and Tim Cline are right on the mark. The bigger stripers, say those fish 10 lb and bigger, don't do well in lakes with higher water temps. They will go to depths of water that are the right temp, but have low oxygen levels. They pretty much with suffocate before going in higher water temps. Those fish that do manage to survive the high water temps don't eat as well either. I've caught plenty of stripers that were way skinnier than they should be. They don't make seem to survive as well either. In most lakes with stripers, there is a very narrow band of water that is perfect for them. It has the right water temps and has enough oxygen plus has bait fish they can feed on. When lakes draw down hard after a rain for instance, it will shrink that optimum layer of water to the point it stresses them. Another thing is, if stripers have to endure poor water quality for an extended period of time, the end result is stunted fish. I saw this happen on Norris Lake in TN a few years ago. It's just now getting back to normal. In the summer months, you might as well keep any fish over 10 lb because they are just going to end up as crayfish food. Doesn't matter how hard they swim away.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum