Texas Fishing Forum

Possum Kingdom Wallhanger

Posted By: PKfishin

Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/29/14 11:29 PM

Fishing was real good at PK this weekend. I decided to go out for a couple hours before heading back to the metroplex this morning. The weather was perfect. It was overcast with temps in the 70's. Since I didn't have much time so I headed straight to magic point.

I trolled across the stripers once without getting a hit. I changed the 4 inch sattwater gulp baits out for a larger 5 inch ripple shad on the two jig one crankbait rig I use thinking that maybe something bigger might work. I pulled across the fish again and nothing happened. I was pretty bummed, as it was time to go, so I started reeling in one of the two rods I was using when I felt it snag the bottom. I pulled up on the rod and the bottom started peeling out line. After a nice fight, I landed this 31.5 inch 18 pound striper.

He made the 25 incher I had in the cooler look pretty sad. I also noticed that if I catch one bigger than this, I need a bigger cooler. I had to do bend this guy a lot to get him to fit. Not sure yet if I will mount him or just get a replica.

My 25 inch fish looks small compared to the big boy.

Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/29/14 11:48 PM

Great Catch!
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/29/14 11:48 PM

Nice stripe, PK, a fatty! cheers

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 12:02 AM

He looks like he has not missed too many meals. Life is pretty easy for PK fish this year. Not many fisherman and lots of bait.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 12:10 AM

Those are both great fish!!
Posted By: Muckraker

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 12:16 AM

Nice catch!
Posted By: Joe Slab

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 12:18 AM

Great fish Mike. banana That will look great on your wall. thumb
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 04:54 AM

Nice fish! cheers
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 01:47 PM

Very Nice! banana
Posted By: River Mongrel

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 02:05 PM

whopper!!
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 02:46 PM

I love to hear that PK is doing well. I caught my first striper there. a lot of memories growing up fishing that lake. It kills me when we hear about golden algae.
Posted By: Ruff n Redi

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 03:03 PM

Nice fish. It's amazing how big fish can get when they are not pounded every weekend by lots of fisherman. fish
Posted By: 79scooter

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 03:25 PM

I like the replicas... I have a 25lb striper and a 36lb striper on the wall. they are skin mounts, and they are starting to show some age, they were done by two different taxi's. I think the replicas look better, and they will last forever.
Posted By: RogerB

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 04:41 PM

Nice one! thumb
Posted By: Ox190

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 05:03 PM

That's a heck of a view.

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 06:03 PM

I think Golden Algae went downstream with the 08 flood. Since then, it's been straight up for Pk.

PK fishing is the best kept secret in Texas. ( Maybe I should start telling everyone how bad it is and bemoan the golden algae)

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 06:07 PM

Thanks Roger. I tried to send you a PM but you box was full.

You'll need to come out and fish PK sometime. Next year that lake will be chock full of 18-22 inch stripers. There are thousands of 12-15 inch fish right now that will grow to legal size in the bait rich environment out there by next year.

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/30/14 06:08 PM

Possum Kingdom is the prettiest lake in Texas.
Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/31/14 12:41 AM

Nice!!
Posted By: hideandseekfish

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/31/14 12:22 PM

Congratulations!! Good fish!
Posted By: fisherman dan

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 07/31/14 01:38 PM

Hi Pkfishin, your posts have generated great interest within me to fish PK. I did some on line research and would like to ask your opinion as to where to stay and fish as I would be driving from Dallas., PKU is a big body and I am unfamiliar with the lake never having been there. Would you be kind enough to share where to launch and fish? Any info is greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Fisherman dan
Posted By: Catfish676

Re: Possum Kingdom Wallhanger - 08/02/14 12:27 AM

Shhhhhhhh......no more fish in PK.....all gone.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum