Texas Fishing Forum

Somerville White Bass

Posted By: BassMan373V

Somerville White Bass - 04/08/14 03:31 PM

Hi all!
Just thought I would give a quick update... If you're looking for White Bass, Somerville is a good bet right now.

My son Garrett and I went out to Somerville yesterday. It was a total spur-of-the-moment trip, and we got a LATE start- didn't leave Houston until 11:30 am, and with a short stop at Bucee's in Waller (a must) we launched at Overlook at 1:00pm. Mr. Weldon Kirk was pulling his boat out as we were putting in, and he told us a little about his day.

Our first stop was at the buoys surrounding the spillway release. We were marking quite a few fish, but only got a couple to bite. So we headed west to some main lake points. We noticed quite a few birds working of the end of Rocky Point, so we stopped to investigate. (This was about 2:15pm)

What happened next wasn't anything short of EPIC. Garrett's first cast with a RatlTrap landed him a NICE, 16" White Bass ABSOLUTELY engorged with shad. From that point, all the way until 8:00 pm, we caught large, mad, White Bass until our arms hurt. Everywhere we casted, we would get bit- it didn't matter. When a school would appear under the boat, we would grab the slabs, and pull them up that way. When they would surface, I would rocket that slab out there and let it get hammered too. We even tied up some double swim bait rigs and we were reeling them in two at a time.

To say that we caught over 200 fish yesterday would not be a stretch in any way. We only kept 15 for the freezer- all the rest were released to fight and spawn another day. It was a perfect way to cap off my days off, and I hope when I come back home in two weeks we can do it again!

Posted By: beltonbill

Re: Somerville White Bass - 04/08/14 11:37 PM

Those are great white bass. I didn't know that Somerville could be so productive. Great post.
Posted By: Catfish-hunter

Re: Somerville White Bass - 04/09/14 07:35 AM

Great job! How deep? 10-12'? You picked a great day. Tuesday had white caps and 20-30mph wind. It won't last forever but seems like we been getting our share of high winds this year. thumb
Posted By: Hunt91

Re: Somerville White Bass - 04/09/14 09:47 PM

That sounds like a blast! I fished Somerville this morning and got into some small crappie, but no WB. I did see some guys catching them trolling however. What size rattle traps were you using?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum