Texas Fishing Forum

Cedar Creek Guide Report from Big Crappie.com

Posted By: Laner

Cedar Creek Guide Report from Big Crappie.com - 03/25/14 10:10 PM

After chasing crappie all last week, the cold fronts that came in Sunday and today made them a little tough to find, so we headed for deeper waters to chase the hard fighting magnum sandies Cedar Creek is known for. Fortunately, the white bass bite is still on fire, with two and three man limits coming by 9:30 to 10:00. Morning time finds us over deep creek channels, primarily in 35-45ft of water, dead sticking our jigs anywhere from 15-25ft down, depending on the day. By evening the fish are moved on to humps, and in some cases here recently, under birds.

What we're noticing is that these fish are traveling up and down these major "highways" gorging themselves on shad. Although we are still randomly thumping the boat, I don't think it's having as much effect as it did during the winter months. It really seems like these fish are just passing by in schools, feeding on everything in sight. The trick is to find the channel, fish for five to ten minutes, and move if large numbers are not immediately being caught. When the graph lights up, we catch 8-12 fish very quickly, then a few minutes go by with one or two here and there. The graph will then light up again momentarily, and we'll catch another quick bunch of fish, and so on.

The tackle we're using is six foot light action Ugly Sticks, spooled with six pound hi-vis mono. The jig of choice is the Mr Blue Lightning Thump Buddy or the White Hot Thump Buddy from www.constantpursuitoutfitters.com, on a quarter ounce jig head with a number 4 sickle hook. We are holding the baits dead still at the appropriate level, and the fish are taking care of the rest.

Here are a few recent outings:

I would imagine with the warmer temperatures that should be here quickly, most of our fish will start relating to humps and points. What's really got me excited though is the promise of surface action in the mornings and late evenings, when acres of fish are surrounding the boat, and the angler is rewarded with a fish on almost every single cast. Get a quick limit of hard fighting whites and hybrids, then it's off to feel the rest of the cooler with crappie. Man I love this job! Take care ya'll, and good luck out on the water!
Posted By: I love fishing

Re: Cedar Creek Guide Report from Big Crappie.com - 03/25/14 10:48 PM

Great report! Looking forward to hit it when it warms up and the fishing is on fire! Can't wait.
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Cedar Creek Guide Report from Big Crappie.com - 03/26/14 11:16 AM

Based on the nice size fish you and others have been catching I can't wait for that top water action to get going. Hope to see you on the lake sometime soon. Thanks for all your reports and those great thump buddies. Time to order more. The funky monkey was working for me last time out.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Cedar Creek Guide Report from Big Crappie.com - 03/26/14 12:32 PM

Looks like the creek is still on fire!! Great dock pics Lane:)
Posted By: RHORHO

Re: Cedar Creek Guide Report from Big Crappie.com - 03/26/14 02:41 PM

Thanks for the report Lane !
Posted By: etu

Re: Cedar Creek Guide Report from Big Crappie.com - 03/26/14 11:47 PM

Lane that's a bunch of good info right there! Thanks for the report.
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cedar Creek Guide Report from Big Crappie.com - 03/27/14 09:42 AM

coolphotos Nice Fish. Good job. thumb
Posted By: LipRip

Re: Cedar Creek Guide Report from Big Crappie.com - 03/28/14 02:45 AM

Nice job! Great report.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum