Texas Fishing Forum

Old Alton Bridge

Posted By: DanC

Old Alton Bridge - 03/19/14 03:06 AM

Fished below the bridge from 5:30 to 7:30 and caught 3 11 - 12 inch sandies. One female and two males. The creek is flowing some and a lot of fish were swimming upstream through the narrows below the bridge. The males were chasing the females below and above the narrows. I watched them with my cell phone flashlight and tried a white marabou jig w/o any hits. The good news is they are moving. Last week, my son and I caught 11 crappie and 2 sandies there. Flipping jigs worked better than casting.
Posted By: Raptor Mike

Re: Old Alton Bridge - 03/19/14 08:48 PM

Under a bobber?
Posted By: Denton Pond Jumper

Re: Old Alton Bridge - 03/20/14 12:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Raptor Mike
Under a bobber?

If it anything like last year no bobber for the sand bass cast and slow retrieve.
Posted By: DanC

Re: Old Alton Bridge - 03/20/14 02:45 AM

No. I was casting a "Lil Fishie" real slow. The sandies were just latching on but not hitting hard. They seemed to be close to the bank as it was only a few cranks before they hit. I tried a bobber, but it did not work.

Re: Old Alton Bridge - 03/20/14 10:51 AM

Love them Lil Fishie's at this time of the year!
Posted By: pontoon fisherman

Re: Old Alton Bridge - 03/20/14 01:31 PM

I am new to the area and have driven by this spot several times. Is the area all open fishing or is there a boundary not to cross? I saw some video sign and it made me wonder what what there?
Posted By: TallTXTrash

Re: Old Alton Bridge - 03/20/14 04:41 PM

I think the video sign thing is to try to stop the graffiti and whatever else kids do down there. You can walk a good distance up and down the creek from the bridge and it's all fishable.
Posted By: Aggie17

Re: Old Alton Bridge - 03/22/14 09:22 PM

I fished it last week 2 times first time only for about 2 hours mid day not fishing too seriously went more to get the GF out on the kayak but caught one but saw a group leaving with 3 stringers full. went back the next day a little before noon and caught 6 keepers about 10 total on a sassy shad in like 4 hours. No real pattern to where they were biting the only thing I recommend is a VERY slow retrieve. As far as a boundary I dont think there is one. I have fished about a mile up from the bridge and all the way down to the 2499 bridge but to be sure you might contact a warden.

Re: Old Alton Bridge - 03/24/14 02:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Aggie17
I fished it last week 2 times first time only for about 2 hours mid day not fishing too seriously went more to get the GF out on the kayak but caught one but saw a group leaving with 3 stringers full. went back the next day a little before noon and caught 6 keepers about 10 total on a sassy shad in like 4 hours. No real pattern to where they were biting the only thing I recommend is a VERY slow retrieve. As far as a boundary I dont think there is one. I have fished about a mile up from the bridge and all the way down to the 2499 bridge but to be sure you might contact a warden.

I have fished this creek both ways from old Alton Bridge and found no boundaries its a creek that you can walk for a long ways and at this time fish spots that would be hard to get to if the creek was up.
One thing about it being low is that you can see why you have fished spots with success. the brush piles are out of the water now.
I went Saturday morning got one under sized sandy 9.5 and one 14 in hybrid.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum