Texas Fishing Forum

Marshall Creek Sandies

Posted By: SwampyMarsh

Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/18/14 08:05 PM

Has anyone heard report of anyone catching any sandies at Marshall Creek near Roanoke off Hwy 377?
Posted By: Kuel

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/18/14 11:21 PM

Probably not. There is so little flow to the lake it's not really connected. Been that way for awhile.

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/19/14 12:41 AM

I fished there last year with a lot of success ...what about Denton creek?
Posted By: MrWhite87

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/19/14 11:42 AM

I didn't know there was a difference. The maps I've seen call it Denton creek and I just assumed people
Called it Marshall creek as well. If Denton creek runs under 377 north of 114 to the lake, where is Marshall creek?

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/19/14 01:06 PM

OK that's what I thought. I was just confused I had always called it Marshall Creek then saw Denton Creek on a map, but yea you're right they are the same. I fished yesterday with no success but they have to be turning on soon.
Posted By: B G

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/20/14 08:47 AM

Only if they can get out of the lake. The water is so shallow they may not make a run with no water flow.
Posted By: PHish-TX

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/20/14 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: SwampyMarsh
OK that's what I thought. I was just confused I had always called it Marshall Creek then saw Denton Creek on a map, but yea you're right they are the same. I fished yesterday with no success but they have to be turning on soon.

If you look on a map...

Denton Creek is the one that runs under 377.
Marshall creek is the one in the park, down past the check in station.

But to most people they are interchangeable.

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/20/14 05:27 PM

Thanks Phish. I've always fished in Denton Creek then. Do the whites run up Marshall as well? And when the heck are they gonna start going this year. There is plenty of water in Denton I was there on Tuesday

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/20/14 10:48 PM

That's good to hear. I drove over it on 377 a few weeks ago and it was still so low you could jump across it.
Posted By: 79scooter

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/21/14 12:06 AM

. "There is plenty of water in Denton I was there on Tuesday"

Too bad there isn't plenty of water to attach it to the lake. Good luck to ya! Post pics
Posted By: swellcat

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/21/14 05:23 PM

Quote:
Too bad there isn't plenty of water to attach it to the lake.

The plug is pulled in the tub: http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/reports/fish.htm . High hopes with the last rain drained away.

_____

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/24/14 10:11 AM

There is plenty of water from Lake to 377. I have been down there personally to see. It's not like these fish need feet of water 5 inches us plenty
Posted By: 79scooter

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/24/14 12:46 PM

ok
Posted By: warrick

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/24/14 01:57 PM

Is any one catching anything there?????

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/28/14 12:43 AM

Anyone getting anything yet? ??
Posted By: shaunb

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/28/14 02:13 PM

headed out there now will post when i return

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/28/14 02:13 PM

headed out there now will post when i return

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/29/14 06:53 AM

went out for a few hours yesterday and ended up with four males about 12 inches each walked a long ways some where catching on live bait but really slow others where on all color jigs nothing specific i think its still a little to early ... last year they ran mid April out there
Posted By: LipRip

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/29/14 03:46 PM

Second week in April usually does not disappoint. We are close.
Posted By: fishinmachine

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/31/14 04:13 AM

The whites in the creek now are those that didn't leave the stream last year. There is not enough water for any fish to get from Grapevine Lake into the creek. An earlier comment was that 5" of water would be enough...there is not even half of that depth at the mouth of the creek in two shoals. It looks plenty deep in many places near 377 and in Trophy Club Park near the ramp, but the creek mouth near the north end of TC Park is less than 3" deep and very narrow, as well. The lake is 10 feet below conservation pool("normal" level), and this has exposed shoals that are usually not visible. When there is not enough water to float a kayak through a shoal, there is not enough water for a respectable run of white bass. If they were going to be there, they'd be there already. No rain, no run.

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/31/14 12:13 PM

Dang ol gubment sprayin dem dang ol Chem trails and shuttin off the rain, messin up
Our catchin days...

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 03/31/14 01:55 PM

Then they should be up at the mouth of the lake
Posted By: fishinmachine

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 04/01/14 02:15 AM

That might be a good spot to look for them.

If anyone is heading that way....please, for the sake of your pocketbook, don't be tempted to drive out on the lake or creek shore from Trophy Club Park. Park regulations state that cars and trucks must remain on the roadways or in parking lots, and ATV's and motorbikes must stay in the marked ORV areas. The police have been writing very expensive tickets every day to those who've ventured out onto the lake shore from the park in a vehicle.
Posted By: Raider04

Re: Marshall Creek Sandies - 04/07/14 02:56 PM

Launched from TC Park in my Yak early Saturday and paddled downstream toward the lake. I was initially optimistic that I could make it to the lake as there seemed to be plenty of water and it doesn't take a lot to float a yak. Unfortunately, I got to where the creek widened out and got stuck almost immediately on the bottom. After getting out and sinking knee deep in mud, I decided to head back. Didn't catch a single fish, but concluded there would not be much of a white bass run this year.

The area leading up to the lake is impossible to cross for a yak and probably for the whites as well (as several have alluded to previously). There was still at least a quarter of a mile stretch from where I got stuck to where the lake started, and I could see birds standing ankle deep in water that appeared to be in the middle of the "channel".
Posted By: swellcat

Re: Marshall Creek - 04/08/14 05:36 PM

Quote:
The area leading up to the lake is impossible to cross for a yak and probably for the whites as well (as several have alluded to previously). There was still at least a quarter of a mile stretch from where I got stuck to where the lake started, and I could see birds standing ankle deep in water that appeared to be in the middle of the "channel".

Thanks for the scouting report.

I tried fishing/walking to the lake from 377 on the day of the fire-spotter helicopter hatch. "The fire has crossed the creek!".

_____
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum