Texas Fishing Forum

Highway 31 chandler neches river

Posted By: Fishesonmyhook

Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/07/14 02:08 PM

Got the sandbass fever, been fishing the neches for the last two weeks to see if any sandies have made their way in, but no bueno, a little early still but it's close smile
Posted By: jpenwell

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/07/14 02:15 PM

yep bet its getting close. But prolly will happen soon after a little warmer weather.
Posted By: Patriot7Six

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/07/14 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: fishesonmyhook
Got the sandbass fever, been fishing the neches for the last two weeks to see if any sandies have made their way in, but no bueno, a little early still but it's close smile

Whats the water level like? I haven't been up there in a long time.
Posted By: CedarCreekWoody

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/08/14 12:07 AM

Lake Palestine is full.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/08/14 02:43 PM

Yup it's up a lot.. Can't see the boat ramp
Posted By: Andrew Bass Master

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/10/14 01:48 AM

Anyone whitebass fish in the southern neches river or does anyone fish in lake Palestine what's the most effective colors when do the whitebass usually run in Texas im used to the Ohio whitebass which usually run in late April early may to late June
Posted By: envy54

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/10/14 11:08 AM

I would also like some helpful info ... my pm box is open!! please and thank you gentlemen

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/10/14 12:13 PM

Andrew the white bass fishing there in Frankston will be heating up any day now. Watch for other fishermen along hwy 31, on the Neches east of town or Kickapoo creek just west. Lots of bank fishing there.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/11/14 02:44 AM

CedarCreekWoody are rooster tails and small top water lures what their hittin on?

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/11/14 03:03 AM

So southern neches is gonna be hott too?? Ey I'm ready to slay some fishes lmao

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/11/14 03:24 AM

I'm going to be hitting the southern neches and below Blackburn dam

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/11/14 04:37 PM

I like a Little Cleo spoon, 1/8 oz silver. Mepps spinners always good too. Just watch those around you are using. I drove by yesterday but apparently not much action though. At least you have plenty of water.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/11/14 10:32 PM

I was just at the southern part of the neches the waters still a lil too cold its at 47 so a few days of warm weather it'll be on
Posted By: pineywoods

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/12/14 03:35 PM

The one white bass I caught in the main lake yesterday(yeah, just one, it was a tough day) was very full of eggs, but they were just now going from greyish to a pale yellow. So, still a bit early, but I was surprised how far along maturation of the roe has gotten. Temperatures all week here will be 7-8 degrees above average highs. Maybe we will have an early spawn this year. As far as lures in the Neches, pink head crappie jigs with white curly tails have been good for me, and cheap enough to break off when you are snagged up. And yes, if you are fishing correctly for those river run whites you will get snagged.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/12/14 07:06 PM

1/8 jig heads with white/green crappie jigs work really well for me
Posted By: Chad Williams

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/13/14 02:37 PM

Im headed out to 31 in a few house to see if this warm weather triggered an early run.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/13/14 02:37 PM

hours

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/14/14 01:02 AM

What did you find, Chad. I would bet that you can catch crappie in the holes by now, but WBs are not up the creeks, yet.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/15/14 04:49 PM

Hows the bite?
Posted By: Eric

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/15/14 05:12 PM

I drove by yesterday at 4 pm and there were 10 cars parked along 31. no idea how the catching was. Also saw 8 cars on 175 north end of cedar Creek

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/15/14 05:18 PM

Ima go try out the southern neches cuz its close to me and anybody know the water temperature

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/15/14 06:50 PM

The sandies are definitely in there but it's slowww....mostly males seems like..prob just doing their little scout run before the actual spawn .....That many cars is a dead give away too

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/15/14 07:05 PM

Southern neches is dead I seen some shad that's about it and the spillway below the dam is wicked high

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/15/14 07:13 PM

Anybody know if the sandbass run through the Sabine River? I mean... I've heard of them being in there but what about the Sabine areas near tyler-lindale- mineola...reason why I ask is because the Sabine runs through mineola near my house and I was just curious

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/15/14 08:55 PM

So does anyone fish the southern part of lake Palestine or the south neches

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/15/14 10:39 PM

Went and caught 18 males tuesday. Cold shut em down though. went yesterday only 2. need more hot weather!

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/15/14 10:51 PM

Chad where at
Posted By: Jpowell7575

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/15/14 11:16 PM

Can you catch shad with a net there? You can PM me if you'd like. Thanks. I fish Palestine all the time, never made it to the river.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/16/14 01:39 AM

Yea jpowell I'm going tommorow to catch bait I may go throw my line out and try seeing if the cats are ready to feed

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/16/14 02:47 AM

I was on 31 in chandler right under the 2 bridges catching em around the columns. A lot of people there, but only had 1 or 2 just like me. May give it a try tomorrow round noon, but friday im busting out the boat!!

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/16/14 04:49 AM

I wish I had the gas to goto the hwy31 bridge
Posted By: ChaserWF

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/17/14 03:50 AM

I fished around the 31 bridge for a bit after work today and did not get a bite. I think I am going to take the yak or the boat out Saturday and do a little exploring on the river. I have a 16' center console skiff do you think I will be alright to launch it at the 31 bridge?

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/18/14 02:21 PM

A 16 ft cc could scoot through there, but really hack off the bank fishermen! It would definitely be easy if you have a hydraulic jack plate for shallow running (common at the coast). It's really perfect for a kayak (did that last year) but I'll be taking a 10 ft flatbottom with oars this year. I like having the room for a cooler, lunch, etc. (plus I sold the yak).

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/19/14 02:02 PM

Hey chaser did you go to the river yesterday? I took my boat out Friday even though it was pretty windy but nada... Everyone I asked weren't catching anything either....

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/19/14 02:32 PM

My wife wanted to play golf yesterday so l did not fish yesterday. I am going to take the yak out today after church. I will post my results this evening.
Posted By: All4Aboard

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/19/14 05:40 PM

I took the boat out yesterday for the first time in a couple of months. Took my 3 old daughter with me and spent about 2 hours south of the ramp. Picked up 1 black bass and that was it. Not even a bump in the spots that normally produce. Water temp was 47.3. This is the earliest I've tried the sand bass in the Neches. What water temp do they start to turn on. I know the 30 degree
Nights are keeping it below 50
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/19/14 10:05 PM

need warmer water temp

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/20/14 01:34 PM

Not there yet. Fished for about 2 hours and did not get a bump.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/20/14 07:47 PM

the 30* temps this coming Thur Friday & Saturday will stall them even longer

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/21/14 12:15 AM

Going out on the yack tomorrow see if the 73 degree weather moved in a few males like it did last week. Ill let you guys know how i did when i get back home.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/21/14 12:35 AM

I might take my kayak out also tmw just cuz you can only go so far on the side opposite of the boat ramp because of the fallen trees across the creek, but yeah that cold weathers prob gonna set em back a bit.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/21/14 12:53 AM

Guess ill see you out there then! fish
Posted By: Eric

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/21/14 09:34 PM

only 2 cars this afternoon while driving by. Kickapoo is as full as I have ever seen.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/22/14 12:37 AM

I was one of the few cars there...fished a couple hours caught nada... Seen one guy catch a big female but that was it...my fishing is done for this week..tooo cold

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/22/14 01:43 PM

Gonna head back out today and go hole to hole see if some males or females came up where people cant get to on foot. Headed to an old hot spot i found a few years back that is now posted to walk to. Hoping there untouched.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/23/14 12:00 AM

Several cars there today, could not stop, I was "working"

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/23/14 02:04 PM

I tried last weekend north of 31 and didn't have any luck, tonights cold front won't help any

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/23/14 11:59 PM

We need some hot weather! Looks like they will make there run around feb-march. At least there's plenty of water in the river so boats can get in there. Ill keep fishing every week at least 1 day to report back to you guys!

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/24/14 02:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Chad Williams
We need some hot weather! Looks like they will make there run around feb-march. At least there's plenty of water in the river so boats can get in there. Ill keep fishing every week at least 1 day to report back to you guys!

👍👍👍
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/24/14 06:06 AM

Water temps 47 Wednesday, fish are there in deeper holes to 13 feet, just hanging out. Have seen very few anywhere near the bridge for those that are on foot. Slow this week, much better last week before it got cold.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/24/14 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: lconn4
Water temps 47 Wednesday, fish are there in deeper holes to 13 feet, just hanging out. Have seen very few anywhere near the bridge for those that are on foot. Slow this week, much better last week before it got cold.

great pic. Stacked in there. Thanks for sharing

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/25/14 11:22 PM

Awesome pic! Gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Will Let you guys know.
Posted By: ArkansasTraveler

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/26/14 03:30 AM

They still aren't hitting real well yet. Give it a couple of weeks and it will be on. Jimmy, I'll show ya around there one day if ya want.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/28/14 12:00 AM

Crappie are biting. Caught 16 the other day.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/28/14 12:32 AM

Chad, I've been out twice for a couple of hrs. and only managed one black bass. Haven't fished hard, mainly just taking the wife and girls out to relax. I saw some fish stacked just north of the RR in a 12 ft hole. Where can I go to catch crappie in the Neches?

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/28/14 12:49 AM

Lol that's what I wanna know...where's the crappie???? I can't catch squattt....not yet anyways

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/28/14 08:06 AM

Well they have been known to be under the bridge under the boat ramp, but the ones i caught were left of the ramp passed the second bridge right there in that big left bend. Theres a tree hanging in the water with blue tape hanging on it. Threw right under the limb and caught em. They were biting almost every throw

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/28/14 08:07 AM

Also where were those fish stacked in north of the RR? Can u describe where at?

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/28/14 09:17 PM

15 yards North of the RR tracks, on the east side of the river out to the middle of the river is a big hole that they bunch up in.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/28/14 11:01 PM

The hole is probably 45-50 yards north of the RR track before you get back to the camping area on private land. Fish were in the middle and toward the west before the grass line
Posted By: luvs2fish2

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/29/14 11:16 AM

Well they have been known to be under the bridge under the boat ramp, but the ones i caught were left of the ramp passed the second bridge right there in that big left bend. Theres a tree hanging in the water with blue tape hanging on it. Threw right under the limb and caught em. They were biting almost every throw

Chad, are you talking about the bridges on Hwy 31 east of Chandler?

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/29/14 11:23 AM

Everyone has their favorite "hole" for sand bass on the Neches River of HW31.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/29/14 09:39 PM

I have never been to the Palestine Neches river before but I would like to come over from Lancaster this spring and try.I don`t want to bring my big boat but my little 8fter.What would be the best boat ramp place to launch a little Pelican boat from?? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/29/14 10:04 PM

Launch at the HW31 bridge just east of Chandler.
Southwest corner of the bridge is a very nice place to put in a 2 man boat.
Go south with your trolling motor to the RR bridge, fishing all the little holes along the way.
Just on the North side of the RR bridge is a couple of great holes that the Sandies stack up in.
Killed them in my little pelican boat last Spring, great fun.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/29/14 10:16 PM

Where north? Landmarks to go buy? Ill go and try in my pelican 😁

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/29/14 10:18 PM

Also luvztofish yeah thats where im talking bout. Great little hole over there
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/30/14 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Nutman
Launch at the HW31 bridge just east of Chandler.
Southwest corner of the bridge is a very nice place to put in a 2 man boat.
Go south with your trolling motor to the RR bridge, fishing all the little holes along the way.
Just on the North side of the RR bridge is a couple of great holes that the Sandies stack up in.
Killed them in my little pelican boat last Spring, great fun.
Thank you for responding Captain.
Posted By: luvs2fish2

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/30/14 06:57 AM

Thanks Chad.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/31/14 01:55 AM

Anyone ever have a backseat open on their boat? I dont have a boat but fishin is so much better than the bank lol ... ill pay for gas or lunch anytime
Posted By: Nutrarat

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 01/31/14 03:14 PM

Went yesterday north and south of 31 in my kayak. Saw nothing on the graph and not a single bite in 5 hours. Hopefully this warm rain we are supposed to have this weekend will produce something.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/01/14 12:36 AM

Update for today, caught 3 legal crappie, no sandbass, another boat had 2 sanders that were caught near the train tracks, people on the bank weren't catching anything overall pretty slow, but yeah nutarat I bet it's on after this rain I'll b ready partyon

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/01/14 06:43 AM

I was on the news today in my kayak if anyone was watching. Was interviewed yesterday.
Posted By: Creekside Sports Chandler Tx

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/01/14 03:51 PM

Creekside in chandler report on river is a few sandys here and their up around tracks south of bridge. Crappie fair to the south of bridge deeper water.. Crappie fair to good at 155 bridge still deep on jigs. Catch 10 small to 1 keeper!! Won't be long on the Neches and Kickapoo creek!! Creekside has all you need for the crappie and sand bass!! 9038492634

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/02/14 12:19 AM

Me n a bud stopped by there the other day to reup...yup won't b long

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/02/14 05:35 PM

After I saw Nutrat zeroed out Thursday after 5 hrs effort I changed my Friday plans and instead launched the big boat on the lower lake. Fought wind and waves trying to find bluecats and had about the same results (zero). Hard to be patient and wait for the weather and the bite.
Posted By: liveoutloud

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/02/14 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutrarat
I was on the news today in my kayak if anyone was watching. Was interviewed yesterday.

Nutrarat, I'm looking for an experienced kayak buddy to hit the neches and kickapoo with this year. I've fished both for years in my pelican, but just now getting into kayaking.

Shoot me a PM if you want another kayaker (newby kayaker) to come along anytime.
Mike

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/03/14 01:57 AM

Lol that's funny cuz I bought me a kayak 2 weeks ago...never kayakd before, I've taken out 3 times already to the neches. My second day I was trying to get out of my kayak up on land to fish and fell in lol

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/03/14 04:10 AM

trying to get out of my kayak up on land to fish and fell in lol

ohh dang I bet that was cold...I am hoping to get a yak this spring

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/03/14 02:35 PM

fishesonmyhook,

My call out is actually to any and all kayakers that are looking for company on the neches or Kickapoo. I just want to connect with other kayakers that fish the waters near my home.

So, if any of you kayakers are interested in a kayak fishing buddy, hit me up.

Thanks,
Mike

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/03/14 03:28 PM

Lets all gather up one day, yall figure out when and we will all go out. Think it would be awesome!

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/03/14 03:43 PM

I work a weird schedule - 24 hrs on, 48 hrs off. But anytime y'all want to get together, give me a shout. If I'm not working, I can be there. I, personally think we need a couple of warm days before the bite really turns on, but I'm up for anything.
Posted By: Dieago

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/04/14 12:37 AM

I live 200 miles west but my brother lives Tyler seen the cars a couple years ago at the bridge by Chandler. Was thinking about going for a visit here in 2-3 weeks and drag my boat to go up the river there with my brother. My question is with all the cars I seen on a weekend is it like playing bumper boats even on a weekday? like on a tues-thursday

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/04/14 01:44 AM

Weekdays are less crowded than weekends, but still a lot of folk sometimes. Kickapoo is usually less crowded than neches, and only a couple miles west on 31.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/04/14 02:23 PM

It gets crazy out there during the weekends and evenings, it's amazing some of the wacky things you see people doing out there.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/05/14 12:03 AM

About to sell my center console and get a yak (second time I've done this down-sizing thing) and will get with y'all soon as I can make it happen. Gotta get one that will hold an ice chest aft.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/05/14 12:13 AM

I bought a basic kayak. Only has a small console with a lid on it to store stuff..kinda sucks...no rod or paddle holders...gotta buy some
Posted By: YoungAngler

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/05/14 12:27 AM

So quick question guys, I've never been to the upper Neches or Kickapoo creeks. Is there an area you can park at or is it just one of those places where you pull off the highway onto a little dirt path?

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/05/14 12:31 AM

I never go to Kickapoo I'm sure someone else could tell ya but the Neches has two parking lots... One on each side of the highway..but only one boat ramp

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/05/14 12:38 AM

I never go to Kickapoo I'm sure someone else could tell ya but the Neches has two parking lots... One on each side of the highway..but only one boat ramp

Thanks fishes, just wanted to know for future reference lol. Does Neches get some hybrids up there during the run?

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/05/14 01:15 AM

Sure do but usually right at the first of the run, after a week or so, they usually die off

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/05/14 01:18 AM

Sure do but usually right at the first of the run, after a week or so, they usually die off

ahh, I will have to try and get there as soon as the weather warms then!

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/05/14 03:35 AM

Kickapoo is mostly just parking on shoulder of the road.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/05/14 04:44 AM

Yea, no parking lot at kickapoo, just shoulder of highway and a little patch of "right-of-way". No true boat ramp either, just a wallered out stretch of mud and dirt. I have launched many flat bottoms and my pelican bass raider there with no problems, though. Hopefully I'll get the kayak out there this year.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/05/14 02:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up fellas!

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/06/14 08:54 PM

Tried fishing yesterday, too damn cold!! Nothing biting in this [censored]! My [censored] is still missing so i may go lookin for it tomorrow

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/06/14 11:30 PM

I'll be out there as well...cold but won't be fighting the 17mph wind like I did the other day ... Call us some fishing fools for being out there in that cold weather hammer

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/06/14 11:34 PM

Also....My fish finder was showing a lottt of fish the other day....especially by the wall of rocks... Just weren't biting...So get ready boys...

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/06/14 11:37 PM

Sounds good. Guess ill see you out there again!! cheers
Posted By: madkinz

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/08/14 02:30 PM

I've been noticing all the kayakers out there... I have an Old Town Angler 10 that I don't use, I would be willing to part with it if someone has a canoe to trade

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/08/14 07:31 PM

Canoe or kayak?
Posted By: madkinz

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/08/14 07:42 PM

it's a kayak 10' vapor

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/10/14 03:19 PM

I sure do have a good feeling about this Thursday-Sunday. Think this warm weather is fixing to start the fish rut!
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/10/14 11:58 PM

I was out there yesterday. Caught 4 small crappie, zero white bass, water temp 45 after warming a little that afternoon.

Couldn't find (see) many white bass at all compared to the last month. Two small groups that kept moving around and wouldn't eat.

Did catch 4 tiny crappie at end of day.

crappie above

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/11/14 12:31 AM

This weekend should raise the water temp. Gonna be like a fair ground next week!

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/11/14 03:17 PM

Can't wait. Leaving today for 2 weeks but hopefully come back to a good time on the Neches. fish

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/11/14 05:38 PM

Been fishing the neches for about three years during the sandy run but this will be my first year that I'm not hiking smile

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/11/14 06:50 PM

Anyone ever launch a full size 18ft bass boat from under the HW31 bridge ?
I have put in a 2 man & a flat bottom, but not a bass boat. Just wondering if the bank gets deep enough fast enough. Don't want to launch of the concrete because the drop (lip) is about 8-12 inches.

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/11/14 10:44 PM

I can't tell you from experience but last year during the run I seen someone put in a nice bass boat...had to be at least 18

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/12/14 12:52 AM

At this point, the water is high enough to launch a battleship. You should be fine with your boat

Re: Highway 31 chandler neches river - 02/14/14 10:57 PM

Should be a good day tomorrow! If anyone is going out tomorrow feel free to pm me and lets get together and find these fish!!! cheers
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum