Texas Fishing Forum

Golly-whopper weighted bobbers?

Posted By: Lewis Perry

Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/23/13 11:15 PM

I see guys throwing what appears to be a weighted bobber with 2 jigs tied one behind the other fishing for schooling bass and sand bass. I can not seem to find any info on them. Are they available to be purchased or do you make your own? I have heard them called "Golly whoppers". They seem to catch fish when other things do not. Any ideas?
Posted By: Justmike

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/23/13 11:23 PM

Got some around lavon last year. Bank fishermen use them a lot
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/24/13 06:23 PM

If ya get stuck try a google search smile

try cabela's

comal shallow popper popping corks
Posted By: Jeff Schiller

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/24/13 08:14 PM

They're also called spec rigs. They are used for speckled trout.

You can make these yourself.
Posted By: TexomaPowerboater

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/24/13 08:38 PM

I always thought they were called cork and streamers??? They sell a couple different ones up at Daves at Texoma off exit 72 on HWY 75.

How do you guys put these things away in your tackle box? I wrap the line in figure eights on the cork, but seems to hold the bends and gets tangled easy first couple of cast.

Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/24/13 09:23 PM

Spec rigs work great on schoolies...
Posted By: TheKingOfFish

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/24/13 11:42 PM

mtpocketstackle.com
Posted By: 1 link stringer

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/25/13 03:26 AM

Bass Pro: Silver Dollar Lures, Sand Bass Rig weighted cork (Bobber) with two flies under it, Char & White
Posted By: Sunup

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/25/13 09:40 AM

This Man has everything -> http://stores.mtpocketstackle.com/StoreFront.bok
Originally Posted By: Lewis Perry
I see guys throwing what appears to be a weighted bobber with 2 jigs tied one behind the other fishing for schooling bass and sand bass. I can not seem to find any info on them. Are they available to be purchased or do you make your own? I have heard them called "Golly whoppers". They seem to catch fish when other things do not. Any ideas?

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/25/13 02:39 PM

Found them on ebay before I saw these posts. They are listed as weighted popper corks. Thanks guys.
Posted By: sloveless

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/25/13 03:31 PM

Saw a lot of guys tossing these at Lavon the other day topwater.

FWIW, I was catching just as well (if not better) with a slab/jig or swimbait/jig setup. Although I can see if they wanted it slow how these would let you stay in the strike zone a little bit longer with a slow retrieve or popping action.

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/28/13 05:35 PM

How do you rig the slab-jig combo?
Posted By: gborg

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/28/13 09:51 PM

Throw a weighted cork with a two foot tag line attached to a # 12 pet spoon, bring back to target zone via long sweeping rod motion, stop and let the spoon catch up and reel to pull up slack line, when u stop the sweep the pet has time to wiggle down in the water column and will trigger a strike, btw the single hook will allow u to catch a lot more fish.

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/29/13 03:10 AM

Is that the Luhr-Jensen pet spoon?
Posted By: gborg

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/29/13 11:18 AM

Yes, cloudy days gold and pink dyed feathers, sunny days silver and chartreuse feathers.
Posted By: phototom

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/29/13 12:57 PM

I have bought these in the past at Academy but lately I have not been able to locate any I use to buy casting corks at the gulf coast(Not the Launcher in this photo) with a lead weight in them I was buying them down there 40 + years ago

Posted By: M.T.Pockets

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/29/13 02:15 PM

these are the ones that I make
1 oz, 2oz, 3oz.
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/29/13 03:00 PM

Those look good mt
Posted By: sloveless

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/29/13 03:27 PM

Sorry Lewis, was out of town so didn't see your question.

I use just a typical setup with the jig/slab or jig/swimbait setup. Tie a 1/16th or so jig with whatever kind of body you have luck with about 12"-24" above a slab/swimbait. I use a dropper loop so the jig swims and falls more naturally.

I have had most luck with yellow/orange tube bodies or curly tail grubs for the jig and 1/2-3/4 oz. chart or silver slabs/sassy shads.

Like I said before, only downside to this versus the cork is you can't let it sit in the strike zone as long, but I have an easier time casting and more variation on the retrieve.
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/30/13 02:35 AM

Most people I see using them are bank fisherman with 12 foot surf rods to reach schooling fish far off the bank. If you have a boat and trollimg motor...not really a need to buy those rigs. If they are schooling...they will hit about anyyhing. The main thing is reaching them while they are surfacing.
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 07/30/13 02:37 AM

And even then...it is often the smaller fish on yop. The bigger, wiser fish just wait underneath the school for injured shad to drift down. They let the young pups do all the work for them.
Posted By: Darmarhad

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 09/19/22 08:24 PM

I got mine when I fished Lake Texoma as a kid back in the mid 1960's.
We used it for Sandies/ White Bass.
It is a red and white Weighted cork Bobber with 2 white Flies.
I still have it and I'm 67 yo.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Golly-whopper weighted bobbers? - 09/19/22 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Darmarhad
I got mine when I fished Lake Texoma as a kid back in the mid 1960's.
We used it for Sandies/ White Bass.
It is a red and white Weighted cork Bobber with 2 white Flies.
I still have it and I'm 67 yo.

I have you by 3 years, I believe I still have some also. I can remember acres of sand bass surfacing.

MO
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum