Texas Fishing Forum

Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station.

Posted By: TexasBassBuster

Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 06/29/13 06:40 PM

Just went last night to twok and noticed they put a lock on the public cleaning station. Or I should say used to be public side before they fired mark and hired mack.

Thanks Mack.
Posted By: Lakeguide

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 06/29/13 07:43 PM

This is not Mack's fault, he just works there and did what he was told. The owner made the decision. Mack's a good dude, unfortunately he has to be the one to enforce the new rule. The dock is private and there were just too many people on the dock without slips. The state park is now about the only option for public cleaning stations.
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 06/29/13 08:03 PM

Wind point has a nice one as well...and camping is cheaper than state park. The downside is it is a long tide by water from Wind Point to where the hybrids are...and there are a million trees between the two areas. We love the state park...nice facilities and clise to good fishing.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 06/29/13 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Lakeguide
This is not Mack's fault, he just works there and did what he was told. The owner made the decision. Mack's a good dude, unfortunately he has to be the one to enforce the new rule. The dock is private and there were just too many people on the dock without slips. The state park is now about the only option for public cleaning stations.

Good word Mateo....

Mack gets orders and follows them.
Posted By: Hydra Sport

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/08/13 07:52 PM

Yeah I found that out the hard way too wish it would re-open

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/08/13 07:58 PM

Maybe if everyone who cleaned fish there put the remains back in the lake that would help. The three times I used that ramp...it had several dead fish on the bank filleted out and rotting. Stunk to high heck...I am guessing that is why they closed it?
Posted By: HOSEMAN JD

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/08/13 08:40 PM

Mack told me they are charging a 1 time yearly fee to use the table.
Posted By: conniek

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/08/13 08:46 PM

hmm, they locked the clean station which is their right to do so, but reading here the odor is bad, makes me wonder about the restrooms...........they were pretty darn dirty and stinky. have they locked the doors on them? We quit launching there simply because of the dirty bathrooms.
Posted By: etu

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/08/13 10:48 PM

Sure was nice using my State Park pass last week. Cleaning station, clean restrooms and nice folks at the office:)
Posted By: tawakpotlicker

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/09/13 12:57 AM

You would think that they would make everyone pack out the waste out at least dump it in the lake and not inside the marina. Common sense ain't so common.
Posted By: banderapass1

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/09/13 01:29 AM

It is sad ...some people do not care and have zero respect and are lazy....if they dirty it up and trash out and leave dead..fish remains thrown around for everyone else to see and others to clean up the mess...they do not care... period..they just go back where they came from
..now they will just trash out another place ..
You carry it in you take it out with you...you dirty it up you clean it up..you clean the fish at the lake you take the remains home with you and dispose of at home..
We always bury our fish remains in deep holes beside or trees and roses .
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/09/13 05:00 AM

Well, it didn't seem to help much. I was there last Tuesday evening and there were about three nice size catfish carcasses beached right next to the ramp. I beach my boat next to the ramp to avoid contact with their horrible docks, and had to literally step over rotting, stinking, nasty fish carcasses.

I've said it before. If it weren't for their location on the lake, they would go bankrupt in about a week.

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/09/13 02:27 PM

We too bought the state park pass for $70 over spring break. It has already paid for itself ib state park uses...all at Tawakoni. Need some rain though pretty quick! Getting awfully shallow there too!
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/09/13 02:28 PM

holiday Marina is going down hill but the owner is raising prices. I quit going there.
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/09/13 02:33 PM

Support the good places and leave the lazy marina owners behind.
I did buy one of the cheap folding fish cleaning tables from Academy. I use a large cutting board and it has held up pretty good.
The nice part is we just set it up each weekend on the dock. Very portable so we can clean fish any place.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/09/13 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: psycho0819
Well, it didn't seem to help much. I was there last Tuesday evening and there were about three nice size catfish carcasses beached right next to the ramp. I beach my boat next to the ramp to avoid contact with their horrible docks, and had to literally step over rotting, stinking, nasty fish carcasses.

I've said it before. If it weren't for their location on the lake, they would go bankrupt in about a week.
First time I launched there I stepped out of the boat and right on bagggie full of rotten stinky shad. Brown carp flew out and covered by sock. I was not happy. I had to spend a good part of the morning smelling it. Dead rancid shad is about the worst.

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/10/13 03:30 AM

Stump Jumper, I'd have been hot too had it happened to me. But you have to admit, that's some funny stuff right there!
Posted By: Fishin_Ren

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/10/13 03:39 AM

fishermen complaining about fish smell... rolfmao
Y'all should da blame the lazy turtles... but wait water is too low for them to craw up that far in plain sight of eh...whining fishermen? rolfmao

Side note:
To the owner of the marina, learn from the smart folks who run the state park, make contract with some compose makers, put a bin at the cleaning table for those fish refuse... you make some extra money and the place is less stinky... everyone wins!
Posted By: bigjohnny

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/10/13 06:52 AM

Mack is trying to clean the place up. It will not happen very quick.. For all of the trash on land and by the boat ramp remember the lazy [censored] fishermen put that there. I have seen people discard the old shad right on the ramp not thinking about the next guy in line. If you got caught doing that at the State Park you would get a good fine I think. My point is it is not all the Marina,s fault.
Posted By: Mo

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/10/13 08:22 PM

Maybe they are encouraging catch and release ? smile

MO
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/11/13 01:27 PM

I have watched this thread for a week or so and find it very funny.

Do ya'll keep going back to a Restaurant that serves bad food?

If ya fish Twak, use the state park. $ 70.00 gets ya into ALL state parks for the year. Great cleaning table and no worries sitN down in the bathrooms.

It seems some just like to _itch on this forum for lack of better things to do?

I'm at Holiday Marina a lot. I see people dumpN shad tanks at the ramp, throwing trash in the parking lot, and much more. The cleaning tables were shut down because they were abused.

I think it is safe to say the following:

1) Holiday Marina is Haggard
*(Haggard means worn out and exhausted because of suffering.)
2) No more public cleaning tables

Let's use this as common knowledge and forget about the Holiday Marina Posts?

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/11/13 04:29 PM

Is it possible that the people on here complaining about the condition of this marina would just like to see the way it operates improve a bit?

Sure, the people guilty of trashing the place out are the very ones who use it, but I seriously doubt that anyone complaining in this thread are the guilty parties. OK, maybe one or two:)

The way I see the problem, is whoever is responsible for the day to day operation of this marina is lacking in how they function on a base level.

Let's start with the store. I realize full well that I fish different hours than most who fish the lake (evenings during the week mostly, and the occasional Sunday evening). I have seen the store open on ONE occasion in the last year or more, and that was at noon on a rare Saturday I fished. I was there on Memorial day at 4pm and the store was closed. Seriously, the store was closed at 4pm on arguably one of the busiest lake going days of the year. Thus, I can NEVER plan on getting any service at this marina, so I spend any money that I might spend there, elsewhere. One service I did find present on Memorial day, was a very intoxicated female selling "gourmet" tamales. I bought some, they were good, but this woman was slobbering drunk! Now I laughed about it at the time, but have since thought about the message this type of thing sends to the patrons in general.

Now let's talk about people trashing the place out with dead bait and fish carcasses. I would think, in my alleged brain, that someone could observe this activity, and do something about it when it happens. It wouldn't have to be a constant thing, just patrol the marina for this activity during peak ramp use times (late morning and dusk). After a few people are warned, then possibly banned from using the facilities for repeat offenses, the trashing of the marina will be reduced drastically.

It's obvious to anyone with any experience in dealing with a public service business that people in general will go feral in a surprisingly short amount of time. Meaning, if things like this aren't nipped in the bud, then they will continue to worsen. In an earlier post in this thread I mentioned several catfish carcasses laying on shore right next to the ramp, well over a week ago. Well, yesterday, they were still there, only decomposed more, along with a few new ones.
My point here is, yes, sorry SOB's are responsible for the carcasses being there in the first place. But running a business like this means you have to clean up after the nasty patrons, even more so if you aren't proactive in dealing with it as it happens. But these fish carcasses will be left there until they return to the earth completely, or the lake fills back up, and no effort will be made to rake them into the water what so ever.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that the people complaining about the overall condition of Holiday Marina just want to see some effort to make the place half as nice as it could be. Every business has money limitations, no doubting that. But what I site above is not a money issue, it's a lazy issue. Yes, I will continue to use Holiday Marina in the future for a few different reasons. I just wish that the place could get someone running it that "a" wants to see things improve, "b" is willing to put forth some effort to effect the necessary change, "c" will make it clear that general nastiness will not be tolerated, and "d" will also engage patrons on a personal level in an effort to realize who their good/regular customers are and chastise the ones who are "the problem".

It all comes down to service. A business like this doesn't run itself, in fact it will "run itself" into the ground. but that much is evident. Someone must have a hand on the tiller (yes, nautical pun intended). Not just running around screaming at the people doing wrong, but providing a service to those of us who are respectful of their facility, and their effort to improve said facility.

Stepping off the soapbox now, sorry for the novel.
Posted By: BDURHAM78

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/11/13 09:12 PM

Psycho. I agree 100 percent on Your statement.
Posted By: Braeley

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/11/13 09:36 PM

Thanks for the heads up!
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/12/13 05:03 PM

As I said psycho there are other options, use them. I think everyone on this forum understands what Holiday is about.
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Holiday Marina - no more public cleaning station. - 07/13/13 01:43 AM

boycott the filthy place and MAYBE they'll clean it up and run it like it should be. And you're right about the store. I could not believe the hours they are open.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum