Texas Fishing Forum

Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013

Posted By: Captjohn

Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013 - 05/02/13 04:49 AM

Got a chance to hit CC today with the Kraken and Brian. We got on the water about 2:00 pm. Out of Log Cabin. We decided took up a little more north than usual so set our spread and made a run toward the Carolyn estate point area.

Picked up a small sandy and the a couple more (we cull sand bass at 14"). Not much of what we wanted so headed to Don Ho, hump north of Crapie island, and marked fish but only sand bass takers. Further south and we got to the trench just to the southwest of CI and as soon as we eased into 20' of water we had a double knock down with a third pole going off shortly after. Ended that run with three Hybrids to 6 pounds and a mag sandy at 16".

Reset and back through trench, loaded up again. Another triple with 3-4 fish to 6 lbs again. By now it's getting close to three thirty and we reset and off the lines went again. All this action taking place in a 1/2 mile circle southwest of CI.

On and on it went with all of us getting a limit of 15 hybrids and 7 mag Sandy's all before 5:30pm. We threw back many hybrids that were 20" or under and countless Sandy's that were under 14".

Decided to take the Grady up lake to our lake house and let the carbon burn off and saw bait at the surface everywhere. Like, all over. Never any fish but lots of bait.

Took boat back and loaded up and back in Combine and cleaning fish by 8:30pm.

Conditions:

Wind------dead calm
Waves----------glass
Water temp-------72.5*
Visibility---------partly cloudy

Baits:

U-rigs-----------5" kalins blue and white grubs
5" Calcutta flashfoil purple gaze
4" sassy shad chartreuse.
DD-22's. fire tiger
Blue back chartreuse bottom
Perch

The Kraken and Brian with pat of a triple

Me and the crew with our catch before cleaning

Ready for the knife
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013 - 05/02/13 12:09 PM

Nice outing...
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013 - 05/02/13 01:27 PM

nice haul
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013 - 05/02/13 01:40 PM

Way to go buddy!! I want to hop on your boat and learn how you can troll that many dang rods. You are the master troller for sure.
Posted By: fastguy�

Re: Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013 - 05/02/13 02:14 PM

I saw you out yesterday, you guys covered a lot of water.

How wide of a swath do you take when you have the outriggers deployed?
Posted By: TEXASFIVEGUN

Re: Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013 - 05/02/13 03:08 PM

Fastguy I have never measured it but the outside lines should be about 40' apart. We usually run 7 or 9 rods but often times that's just too many to keep up with. Having the number of fish on outnumbering anglers can be busy work. I can think of twice we have had 9 keeper hybrids/stripers on at one time with only two fishermen and we landed them all. I believe a 7 rod knock down at one time is the most I can recall. I looked kinda like The Three Stooges meets The Keystone Cops!

Re: Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013 - 05/02/13 03:19 PM

5 or 6 years ago I saw a guy down by Crappie Island pulling side planing boards, looked to have 10 or so of them staggered behind the boat. Looked like a 60' field cultivator, dead calm day, small ripples behind every rig.
Posted By: TEXASFIVEGUN

Re: Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013 - 05/02/13 03:26 PM

Using planing boards we have run up to 13 rods at one time. I wanted to go for 15 but CaptJohn said I was nutts. I didn't understand the problem, he knew I was nutts years ago.
Posted By: czoom

Re: Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013 - 05/02/13 04:43 PM

OMG nice guys. Congrats, thats a nice slay right there. Good eats, hope you guys have a large freezer if not I can take some of the fish off your hands lol smile.
Posted By: Captjohn

Re: Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013 - 05/02/13 06:51 PM

We cook lots of fish for our neighborhood and some older folks who just can't phisically make it out any more. Usually a fry every two weeks during spring, summer and fall. Feeding as much as forty to fifty folks at a time. Sometimes we grill or blacken those hybrids or striper and that goes quick. One upright freezer but all fish are completely cleaned and vacuum bagged so they take up less room than in frozen water zip lock bags.

All enjoy and gives us a reason to do it.

Fast guy, that was us on my Baystealth, couple years ago dragging planer boards. Fun and productive when bite is slow or you are prospecting. Worked great down at Fairfield because we could get baits up along the cat tails in shallower water, looking for those reds. Miss those days

Re: Cedar Creek hybrids Wednesday 05-01013 - 05/03/13 01:43 AM

It was pretty cool to see, wish I would have had my camera.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum