Texas Fishing Forum

Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers

Posted By: WildEd

Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/23/13 07:58 PM

I keep hearing these stories about calling stripers and hybrids with a rubber mallet on the side of the boat. What is the truth?
Posted By: Stripaholic

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/23/13 08:26 PM

It can help but it can also scare fish away. Especially on clear water lakes. I was on Lake Hamilton last winter on a school of fish and as soon as I started thumping the fish disappeared scared bolt

hammer hammer
Posted By: Kerry Dugan

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/23/13 09:03 PM

Old Wives Tale.....
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/23/13 09:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Stripaholic
It can help but it can also scare fish away. Especially on clear water lakes. I was on Lake Hamilton last winter on a school of fish and as soon as I started thumping the fish disappeared scared bolt

hammer hammer

x2! thumb
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/23/13 09:15 PM

I use a rod and reel to catch my fish. Not a mallet.
Posted By: sassyman (hubbard guide)

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/23/13 09:23 PM

Much rather use good music then a hammer.If you train the schools you'll never catch them regular.Plus I can hear bangin half mile off,gives me a headache.
Posted By: Shadslinger

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/23/13 09:34 PM

In shallow water when the fish are on the high end of a feeding frenzy they will swarm to your boat after you swish your rod in the water and make the sound of a feeding fish.
You better be ready to make hay though, as soon as they get there drop a slab and make some noise.
They will be gone in a flash to find something real.
If they are ending a feeding session it will scare them more often than not.
Letting a 16" thrash like a mad dog beside the boat for a lingering minuet will do the best!
Never tried a mallet.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/23/13 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Stripaholic

hammer hammer
Sounds like thhe hull truth to me wife hammer
Posted By: skeeter22

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/23/13 10:35 PM

There was a very well known guide on Cedar Creek that swore by using a house slipper to tap the side of her boat.
Posted By: Keystone

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/23/13 10:39 PM

75 miles out of Freeport witness Capt. Brian Ford on the
Nancy Ann on a 36 hr trip,,call in the amberjacks that way
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/23/13 11:37 PM

I was skeptical until I saw it happen. When we starting banging the mallet the graph lit up like a christmas tree. We had 8 rods set out and 6 of them immediately had the rod tips in the lake. Wound up catching 30 stripers and hybrids that day. We only quit because we had too many.....if you know what I mean.
Posted By: Paul Rogers

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: VIP Fishing

I thought you used a tow rope and a cast net?
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 01:33 AM

Now about the rubber mallet, there are other things that go along with the mallet. You have to be at the right place, have the correct bait, fishing the correct depth, etc. For example, they want live shad, they want it about 3-4 inches long, and they want it about 5 feet above their head. Particular little bastards arent they. You cant just go out in the middle of the lake and start beating and they start jumping in your boat. But if you are on the humps or points where they normally hang out (stripers like the tops of submerged trees and sides of humps), thats the best place to start. And find out what depth they are at. Put the bait above their head. And they like lively shad, hybrids will hit the dead shad or cut shad. Beating the hammer is a lot of work, so we started playing music with a heavy drum beat under the water . We found they like led zeppelin and the allman bros. best.
Posted By: Fishboy Frank

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 02:08 AM

Well have to say been fishing a long time and have watched this work every single time went out in the winter the past five years. That's with guides, friends or by myself. Watched Matt at Tawakoni call them in many times and it was clearly visible on his side imaging. I talked to a guy this winter whose best friend works at the hatchery. He said they bang on the containers where the fingerlings are being raised when it's time to feed them. Remember this is normally a deep water phenomenon. Winter the fish are concentrated versus summer where they are spread out and running around. It works. No doubt about it.
Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 02:45 AM

It never works ... Just ask the drummer from Mtley Cre ...he says he never catches fish !!! Found it on the Internet .. So it must be true thumb
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 02:50 AM

I fish sandbass a lot more than stripers and hybrids and I only have experiuence with beating on the boat for sandbass. So I will share my take on it In the mid 60's I fished eagle mountain with some guys dan Daniels,Glade Reed and Leonard Smith . Glade Reed carried a mallet and beat on his metal boat. Their were times when no fish around per our old flashers he would beat on the boat and the old flashers would light up and we would start catching like crazy. Now the argument begins who to say if he had not beat on the boat those fish would have showed up. Who can prove he caused them to show up. It is an argument that can not be proved one way or the other. I have been doing it at times for 50 years and it is one of the many things I try to do to catch fish. So you can say it does not work or who can say it does work. It is something we will never prove anyway. Who can really say for sure when I pick my nose with my left thumb it makes the fish bite.LOL.
I do know one thing if a guy can find fish he will catch a lot of fish rather he beats on the boat or not.
Posted By: LipRip

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 12:50 PM

Originally Posted By: sandjohnny
I do know one thing if a guy can find fish he will catch a lot of fish rather he beats on the boat or not.

+1
Posted By: gborg

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 12:56 PM

Works better than not in the winter, in deep water 30fow or deeper and of course with bait fish close.
Posted By: RANDY WOOD

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 01:06 PM

Back when PK had lots of stripers we would put an inner tube on a ski rope a good ways behind the boat. The wimmin and kids that didn't want to fish swam out to the tube. Occasionally we would pull the raft in and deliver cocktails, snacks etc. the whole time this went on I would be slowly using the trolling motor to run the edge of the river Channel. We always caught plenty of fish. I think at times we caught more.

I have many times been sitting on summer time hybrids that won't bite. I have many times done a cannon ball off the side of the boat in this situation. The fish go crazy and often every rod in the boat goes down.

It does not always work but it can.
Posted By: Porko

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 01:12 PM

Where is Tony Parker when you need him?
Posted By: CarlT

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 01:16 PM

I'd just as soon not beat on my boat, it's a nice boat.
Posted By: beerfishin

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 01:20 PM

[quote=RANDY WOOD]Back when PK had lots of stripers we would put an inner tube on a ski rope a good ways behind the boat. The wimmin and kids that didn't want to fish swam out to the tube. Occasionally we would pull the raft in and deliver cocktails, snacks etc. the whole time this went on I would be slowly using the trolling motor to run the edge of the river Channel. We always caught plenty of fish. I think at times we caught more.

I have many times been sitting on summer time hybrids that won't bite. I have many times done a cannon ball off the side of the boat in this situation. The fish go crazy and often every rod in the boat goes down.
It does not always work but it can. [/quote

Randy spoke of this when my family fished with him in the late 90's. I believe he also raised his prop out of the water and chopped the water up to bring in the fish

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.
It never works ... Just ask the drummer from Mtley Cre ...he says he never catches fish !!! Found it on the Internet .. So it must be true thumb

Good one John!

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: sandjohnny
I fish sandbass a lot more than stripers and hybrids and I only have experiuence with beating on the boat for sandbass. So I will share my take on it In the mid 60's I fished eagle mountain with some guys dan Daniels,Glade Reed and Leonard Smith . Glade Reed carried a mallet and beat on his metal boat. Their were times when no fish around per our old flashers he would beat on the boat and the old flashers would light up and we would start catching like crazy. Now the argument begins who to say if he had not beat on the boat those fish would have showed up. Who can prove he caused them to show up. It is an argument that can not be proved one way or the other. I have been doing it at times for 50 years and it is one of the many things I try to do to catch fish. So you can say it does not work or who can say it does work. It is something we will never prove anyway. Who can really say for sure when I pick my nose with my left thumb it makes the fish bite.LOL.

Kudos. Well said! it isn't a science like you said. But some buddies I fish with will tell you we stop pounding and stop catching. We pound again they start biting again. That's all I know....

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: RANDY WOOD
Back when PK had lots of stripers we would put an inner tube on a ski rope a good ways behind the boat. The wimmin and kids that didn't want to fish swam out to the tube. Occasionally we would pull the raft in and deliver cocktails, snacks etc. the whole time this went on I would be slowly using the trolling motor to run the edge of the river Channel. We always caught plenty of fish. I think at times we caught more.

It does not always work but it can.

Very cool... Keith if you see this post will you do those cannon balls in the winter next year LOL!
Posted By: SeaFox Steve

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 03:33 PM

I have seen it work, end of story!
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 03:35 PM

I hate it, dont like it, BUT it does work I will admit, broom handle with rubber crutch tip slipped on it.
Posted By: fly_on_a_xpress

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: sassyman (hubbard guide)
Much rather use good music then a hammer.If you train the schools you'll never catch them regular.Plus I can hear bangin half mile off,gives me a headache.

Sounds like you been on ray hubbard rolfmao
I don't need look for birds just listen for hammer
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 06:35 PM

I won't go fishing without it. In clear water use very light taps!!!
Posted By: Jeff Craft

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/24/13 10:46 PM

It doesn't work, but I have 2 thumpers. Rogers in the process of making a motorized one for next years dead sticking. Seems to work best when fish are in deeper water in winter and in the heat of summer.
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/25/13 01:48 PM

dont work. have a quality fishfinder 1st and find em that way. last time on ray hubbard sounded like a indian dance out there.
Posted By: Fishin_Ren

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/25/13 02:41 PM

It ain't working in the Winter! All y'all did was fooling those hungry fish that suspense deep in the Winter to think that it is "ok" (see, other fish go up and kicking...so I go up and catch me some shad, too! rolfmao )... so they swim up the water column to go after bait fish (or so they think....) So those fish got a little excited, but because the water is too cold, they just went back down but stay in the same area...(so this might work for you, mais pas pour moi grin )

It works in other seasons! wink Y'all should bang ur boat very loudly, especially if you're in timbers in the middle of the lake..............that way the fish git skeered and swim strait to da bank to get away from y'all, and I'd be awaiting for 'em fish in the shallow.... rolfmao
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/25/13 02:58 PM

I have seen it not work plenty of times. We have thumped until we couldn't thump anymore and still nothing.

That being said, I have seen it work way too many times to be coincidental.
Posted By: Aquiles

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/25/13 08:55 PM

I tried it once .. hit one fish but then couldn't get my mallet back
Posted By: Chuck7700

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/25/13 11:53 PM

Posted By: YakFishField

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/26/13 01:25 AM

Originally Posted By: snowyriver2
I was skeptical until I saw it happen. When we starting banging the mallet the graph lit up like a christmas tree. We had 8 rods set out and 6 of them immediately had the rod tips in the lake. Wound up catching 30 stripers and hybrids that day. We only quit because we had too many.....if you know what I mean.

I've seen it work in the kayak numerous times. Could be coincidence, since obviously there are times I've banged on it and nothing happens, but probably 4-5 times in the two trips I've taken the yak out, I would start banging my boat (not real hard) with my fish grips, and within 2-3 minutes my graph lit up when I hadn't seen much all day.

Again, could be coincidence, and even if it does work I'm sure it's largely situational as some have suggested. I only try it if I'm not having any luck after a few hours. Figure at that point, it can't hurt.

My $0.02
Posted By: MrWhite87

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/26/13 01:36 AM

Situational. if you are on top of content/lazy fish, they will likely look up, see your shad, and hit it. If you arent near fish, you're going to be SOL. I read about this for the first time last april, went to Benbrook for my b-day in may, after 2 hours of a bunch of nothin, i took the oar, beat 5 times on the boat, to hear "stop bangin on my da$# boat!" i hit twice more with the oar, and WAM 5 of 8 lines go screaming down... it can work, but it's not a magic spell.
Posted By: charlescox

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 04/26/13 01:32 PM

please don't believe in this non-sense about the "thump". It could cause problems for our lakes fish population.
Posted By: Ranger R

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/26/13 09:30 PM

I have seen it work in Buchanan and other Central Texas Lakes. Its amazing to watch your blank graph, light up after slowly tapping on bottom of boat with rubber mallet. Both the stripers/hybrids and whites come running under the boat. No joke!

I am NOT a guide, but always have a hammer on every boat I go on, or play AC/DC cranked up! It works too!

Where do you think TEAM BUSTIN-LOOSE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwHi10qX8u8 came from?

Below is a sound of striper feeding. Sounds like hammer time. My $0.02

http://www.fishbase.org/physiology/FishSoundsSummary.php?autoctr=40

Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/26/13 09:51 PM

Now we settled that once and for all.
Johnny
Posted By: skeeter61

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/26/13 10:23 PM

Thumping noise irritating as hell on a small lake like Foss, can't get away from the noise.
Posted By: CTaylorJr

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/26/13 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: VIP Fishing

Austin,

I can tell you how to use a mallet to catch them fish! My grandpa told me he did this back in the depression, so it must be true!

Go to the store and get a pouch of Levi Garrett chewing tobacco...

Put a 1 ounce weight into the pouch of tobacco and drop it overboard at a spot that looks good for fish...

When the fish comes to the surface to spit, hit him with the mallet!

I know, this is an old post, but it's the first time I've seen it, and the first time I've been able to tell that yarn in a LONG time! cheers
Posted By: Texs44

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/27/13 05:13 AM

Has anyone tried using the Hydro Wave?
Posted By: Texs44

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/27/13 05:50 AM

Tapping on the bottom of the boat worked for me. Thanks to SandJohnny for showing me that little trick. I would spot a few and start tapping and WOW they would start stacking up on the fish finder. Can't wait to go out and try it again. Have a good day.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/27/13 05:20 PM

I was slab fishing on Texoma one summer and hooked a fish deep. I was mid lake and the water was real clear. I was looking in the water for the fish and spotted the whole school right on his tail. I dang near dropped my rod in the lake.
Posted By: bigjim1

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/27/13 06:33 PM

Don't know about all this hammering and thumping stuff, but when I was just a kid we would go to the creek in the summer when it just had pools of water and my Grandpa would have me turn the handle on an old telephone and tell the fish to come up and pee. It dang sure worked on catfish and Pa got a big kick out of it.
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/27/13 09:42 PM

I have one of these attached to my trolling motor and I run Swedish Death Metal music thru it, seems to work better than thumping
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/27/13 10:35 PM

Posted By: Budward

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/27/13 10:57 PM

Saw a guide on texoma that used an old broken trolling motor that was still attached and he would dunk it in and out of water to make the splash noise
Posted By: luv to fish

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/28/13 03:09 AM

I'm about ready for winter already!!!
Posted By: double e

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/28/13 05:00 AM

It could be that, when it works, that a school of baitfish are nearby, and are suddenly spooked by the banging, and dart from reaction to the noise, thus this sudden movement of the baitfish may in turn, trigger a feeding response from the predator fish below. While trolling I have caused (I think) baitfish to jump out of the water seemingly just from the boat approaching them. When it dont work, maybe it was the wrong phase of the moon, or sunspots (maybe even liverspots), or (your favorite excuse here).
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 06/28/13 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: CaptBud
Saw a guide on texoma that used an old broken trolling motor that was still attached and he would dunk it in and out of water to make the splash noise
I have seen them use the kind you attach to the cavitaion plate and trim it up a little.
Posted By: FishinTime

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/24/19 01:40 AM

Bringing this to the top because it took me so long to search and find the audio clip of Stripers feeding on page 3.
Posted By: jbobo

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/24/19 06:16 PM

Loved reading all the comments from the past. Most people now know that thumping works well. I wouldn’t have sold Bobo’s Thumper’s in 23 states if it didn’t. Lol
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/26/19 01:07 PM

Always thought it must mimic the same shock sent through the water as gill flare vacuum when feeding. Other fish feeding, me hungry too... Works better in stained water or where they don't catch on so quickly
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/26/19 01:49 PM

Fun old thread revival LOL. Chris Richardson was the first that I saw on TFF who shared his mechanical thumper device...many moons ago....inside an igloo cooler? Several G generations later, the hubbard boys all have thumpers and we can build thumpers with our eyes closed LOL. Your post motivated me and got my engineer brain going, Chris cheers

Looking forward to meeting ya and fishing with ya this Fall, Chris. I won the bid for Chris' guide service at CC tourney 2 months ago woot
Posted By: Chris Richardson

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/26/19 02:32 PM

That is correct Mr. Todd. In 2013 I was taught the "thump" by A+ guide Matt Cartwright. I threw together a prototype thumper in our machine shop at work the next day!

Ready to fish with you guys. We smashed some very solid hybrids on Cedar Creek Saturday.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/26/19 04:53 PM

I got into thumpers last year and don’t fish without them now! They have made me a better fisherman and many of the people who have purchased thumpers from me are seeing the same results. The other folks just got tired of beating their paddles on the bottoms of their boar!
Posted By: Slabman ‘180’

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/27/19 04:03 AM

Your kidding, that really works? Can’t believe all you read on the internet.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/27/19 01:14 PM

Works for me...

https://youtu.be/udsrc4vCfs0
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/27/19 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by scubaarchery

Awsome!! thumb

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/27/19 02:05 PM

Yep I think Chris’s prototype was one I found when I started looking several years ago for something to replace my boat oar. Lol
I wanted something more compact and portable. Sure am glad he didn’t patent his. Although mine is quite a bit different than his unlike some that I’ve seen start up in the last couple of years.

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/27/19 03:14 PM

jbobo check your email from Bryonnolan@yahoo.com. did you receive?

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/27/19 04:46 PM

I did. And replied at 5:26 am this morning sir. Lol

Re: Truth About Using a Rubber Mallet to Call Stripers - 08/27/19 05:41 PM

Sorry overlooked your email...I responded just now. Thanks.
© 2019 Texas Fishing Forum