Texas Fishing Forum

What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing?

Posted By: fish for all

What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/17/13 10:42 PM

I am going to restring all of my ambassadors and I am looking for something new. I am having trouble with memory curls.
Posted By: nvc_fshrmn

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/17/13 11:06 PM

I have asked a few guides and have been told for the money you cannot go wrong with Berkley Big Game. I prefer a 12-15 lb test. If you are fishing a hybrid lake and have a fly or other type lure tied above your slab then you may want to go with 15 or even 17 to avoid break offs.
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/17/13 11:14 PM

I prefer around 15 lb stren. I know it is heavy but I catch a lot of 20 plus catfish and when I do I want to land them . Using a slab and a fly you don't need lite line and sandbass are not leader shy.
Johnny
Posted By: Bandit03

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/17/13 11:36 PM

Keep in mind that thick line floats and thin sinks.
Posted By: VIP Fishing

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 12:42 AM

I prefer 18lb Big Game
Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 12:48 AM

Thick line don;t float when a slab is hooked to it.
Johnny
Posted By: Jim Ford

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 12:51 AM

Haven't done much fresh water fishing the last few years, but for slabbing I used to use 14 lb. Fireline on a Shimano Castaic. Swap the treble hook for a shortshank single and run a 10" - 12" fluorocarbon leader off a small swivel. The 14 lb. line has enough diameter to keep from digging in on the spool, and it let me feel everything that was happening.
Posted By: DrWhiplash

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 01:06 AM

I use 15# Berkley Big Game (green) not just for slabbing but for just about all of my fishing..I love it! Be sure you spool your line on correctly. Spool line from top of line spool onto your reel. This may help tangling of line.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 01:10 AM

I use 12lb fluorocarbon from Stren on all my reels whether I am looking for Sandies or Hybrids.
Posted By: lenahorse

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 01:22 AM

I have 4 rods set up, 2 with #15 Big Game--2 with Sufix832 braid
#50. Today I just fished the braided line with slabs. 2 Ambassadeurs and 2 Diawa Millionaires.
Posted By: Fishmaster guy

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 03:44 AM

I only use Ande and here is why: With well over 1,800 current IGFA world records to our credit, we feel this outstanding record speaks for the quality of ANDE Monofilament and the overall trust that anglers have for ANDE mono.

I have never found a better line, 15lb. Premium pink, virtually invisible under water. I have towed my boat with it!!
Posted By: 1tex

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: sandjohnny
I prefer around 15 lb stren. I know it is heavy but I catch a lot of 20 plus catfish and when I do I want to land them . Using a slab and a fly you don't need lite line and sandbass are not leader shy.
Johnny

I went from 10=12# stren to 17-20# Big game for this reason.I was catching doubles at eagle mountain last summer and was loosing the fish and slab on bottom.I suspected the gill plates on the fish caught on the fly was to blame.I havent lost one since I changed and havent noticed a slow down in the bites on the heavier line.
Posted By: Guide Joe Read

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 02:09 PM

I think all the comments above are good ones.
I have used 15# Big Game on spinning reels and 20# Big Game on bait casters for many years now...fishing Tawakoni all the time with the hybrids and stripers and some times in the woods you don't want custormers breaking off a big fish! Using bigger line I have never noticed any deference in the bite...20# will make you bait fall slower than 12#.

Where did you guys get 17# and 18# Big Game? I have never seen that size.

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 02:11 PM

All we have in the Tawakoni area where I live is 15-20lb no 17.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 04:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Guide Joe Read
I think all the comments above are good ones.
I have used 15# Big Game on spinning reels and 20# Big Game on bait casters for many years now...fishing Tawakoni all the time with the hybrids and stripers and some times in the woods you don't want custormers breaking off a big fish! Using bigger line I have never noticed any deference in the bite...20# will make you bait fall slower than 12#.

Where did you guys get 17# and 18# Big Game? I have never seen that size.

20lb Big Game is cheap and works great. Yes braid is more sensitive but you're going to pay for it.
Posted By: Ole’ Pops

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/18/13 04:34 PM

Hi Vis on top - not much vis below!

Low stretch..

Catfish anglers ain't even tearin it up....

Ive been using it with the Bendable Minnows and Classic Slabs for 2 years now!

SIZE > 10 to 15 lb depending on the size of the spoon. 1/2 oz and 1 oz I use the 10 lb. With 1.5 and 2 oz spoons I use the 15 lb.

Now available in 6,10,15,20,25,30,50 all 1/4 lb spools.

O yea..... Its AMERICAN MADE.... flag
Posted By: 1tex

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/19/13 01:28 AM

Correction.I checked my spool of Big Game and it is in fact 20#.Sorry for any confusion.
Posted By: Capt Craig

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/19/13 01:35 AM

When my clients are working for fish, they need a line that allows them to feel the fish and hold up to the job at hand. Line needs to not have the dreaded curl, strong enough to toss a large slab and relay a bite back to the person holding the rod.

On baitcasters, I load PowerPro 30# with 2 ounce slabs. The color fads, but the line doesn't loose its strength. It brings fish to the boat even when they fight hard.
Posted By: sandbasscamp

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/19/13 01:45 AM

12lb. Big game. Inexpensive. 1-2 oz spoons you shouldn't never see or be bothered with line memory..
Posted By: Wyatt 545

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/19/13 02:44 AM

I like high vis big game 15-20#
Posted By: RSR Lures

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/19/13 03:15 AM

Personnaly, I'm hooked on the Suffix 832 in 20#. It's very resistant to gill plate mishaps.

As a lure manufacturer though, I recommend VERY old, sun-baked and weakened 4# that breaks when you look at it cross-eyed... hammer
Posted By: TEXASFIVEGUN

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/19/13 03:53 AM

15lb Big Game is cheep, costs abut $2 to fill a ABU 6500 with 200+ yards. So there is no excuse to have old line. Chang it often, Iike every 10 trips. Practice tieing and breaking your knots. If your good you can get 15lb Big Game to break at 19 pounds knots included.
Posted By: TIM CLINE

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/19/13 04:08 AM

If I know I am going to spend an entire day slabbing I will have braid as main line tied to a load rated ball bearing swivel and tie 20 to 25 pound izor line to it in marine blue or use izor line flurocarbon. The swivel takes out the line twist and the 20 pound fluoro or 25 pound copoly keeps me from needing to re-tie every few fish. If you have 4 to 6 people fishing you will spend a ton of time not fishing. I would rather people spend their time fishing when the bite is on instead of waiting on me to re-tie stuff. When fishing deep water the swivel will even help monoline not twist nearly as bad.
Posted By: gotreal formerly known as getreal

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/19/13 06:23 AM

6 pound trilene. loose drag and if ye hang a hybrid say ye blessings
Posted By: LipRip

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/19/13 05:06 PM

17 pound Stren mono.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/19/13 05:39 PM

I like clear trilene. I put 20 on my live bait rigs (Ambassedeurs)and generally use a 14lb leader. The light leader lets the bait swim easier. Plus you can hang the hook and not lose everything. For slabs I generally use a smaller real with 14 lb.. I think you get a little more action on the lighter line. Not sure it really matters when they are on a feed.
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/19/13 09:33 PM

17 lb silver thread an40
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/20/13 02:01 AM

14 lb Trilene XL clear. Set your drag right and you can land anything on this!
Posted By: Fish ZoMbiE

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/24/13 01:54 AM

No lighter than 15#

Big game has worked fine.
Also like braid 30-40# power pro & suffix are both nice.
Posted By: Jbfishin

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/27/13 03:48 AM

Suffix832. Don't be cheap it's worth it.

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/27/13 01:15 PM

832 #50 17lb mono size, its hard to beat.
Posted By: Pawboom

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/27/13 01:49 PM

+ 1 on 20lb.Big Game
Posted By: SafetyMike

Re: What is your favorite type and strength of line for slabbing? - 03/27/13 05:21 PM

Big game has been around for a good while and it has been proven and pretty good for the $$
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum