Texas Fishing Forum

Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well

Posted By: Greg Bowman

Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 10:42 AM

I can't seem to keep the sandies alive in my livewell. I have it running constantly but they suffocate.

Posted By: sandjohnny

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 10:51 AM

You can't when it is warm. Put them in a ice chest with ice and they will clean a lot easier.
Johnny

Posted By: 1tex

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 11:25 AM

+2

Posted By: ChuckP

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 11:34 AM

Put them on ice. You are wasting your time trying.

Posted By: DEERSTRANGLER�

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 12:45 PM

Throw a frozen bottle of water in there and add a cup of hydrogen peroxide to the water.

Posted By: AggieKenny

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 12:54 PM

Originally Posted By: sandjohnny
You can't when it is warm. Put them in a ice chest with ice and they will clean a lot easier.
Johnny

Yep!

Posted By: Holzer

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 01:14 PM

Are these fish in a livewelll of a bass boat that travels 50+ mph, bouncing off all sides of the well? If so, maybe you are beating them to death and not as much as the suffocating theory. If so, slow it down - alot. Also, fill your well with the cleanest water you find (out in deeper water). The water that is close to the courtesy dock and ramp is not what you want in your tanks.

The info these guys have added about geting the water cool will help. But, if you using a overfill tube rather than a plug in your well, you are just wasting time/money with the ice. Because that cool water is being flushed out and new/warmer surface water is being pumped in.

Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 01:19 PM

I just throw them on ice if I want to eat them. I usually only eat crappie though.

Posted By: spro

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 01:36 PM

I have not had that problem. How long before they die in the livewell? I put mine in the livewell (3-4 hours) and they are still kicking when I get home and put them on the fillet table. Hybrids don't do as well though.

Posted By: 79scooter

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 02:37 PM

Stop trying to keep them alive.

Posted By: Oldtrackster

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 03:03 PM

concur with keep them on ice

Posted By: TEXASFIVEGUN

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 03:23 PM

Use ice LOTS of ice. On a normal day we start out with 40 pounds in the fish box plus 10 more to top off the diet milk cooler. If there are only a couple of us we use one small cooler with 10 pounds of ice or for more people a large one with 20+ pounds. When using live shad in the heat of summer we may add 40 pounds to that. The big thing is to get the fish cold fast and keep them cold until the thake a grease bath.

Posted By: Captjohn

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 03:24 PM

Ice

Posted By: PlanoKeith

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/11/12 03:41 PM

I have not had a problem either. I have the air injection live well recirc pump.

http://www.factoryboatparts.com/product.asp?ProductID=31005

Posted By: Lunkers

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/19/12 02:35 AM

Ice and more ice. Layer the fish, ice, fish, ice.

Posted By: Gonecatching

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/21/12 03:00 PM

thats a sign of too many fish in one live well smile Ice chest is the answer my friend

Posted By: Bluwave Mike

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/21/12 03:09 PM

What kind of boat do you have? I never have that problem with White Bass this time of year.

Posted By: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/21/12 06:58 PM

I can put 10 White Bass in the live well - they die.

I can out 100 Crappie in the same live well - they live.

Just put those White Bass, Hybrids and Stripers on Ice!

Posted By: BigDad

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/22/12 10:51 AM

Must be a small live well, I have no problem keeping them alive in my live well this time of year. Summer - just put them on ice, mine doesn't work well in the summer although I can keep about 10 fish alive for a few hours.

Posted By: Keith Speer

Re: Need tips on how to keep the fish alive in the live well - 04/22/12 02:44 PM

I bought a plastic tray 3" deep that will fit inside my cooler. Freeze the water, remove from tray and you have a block of ice 3" thick that will last all day.
My 2 cents.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum