Texas Fishing Forum

Loswrance side scan

Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Loswrance side scan - 08/14/11 02:03 PM

I know some of you have side scan on your boats. I am going to put it on my boat this week. Any pointers that I need to look out for when hooking both graphs up together.

Thanks.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Loswrance side scan - 08/14/11 02:45 PM

Read the instructions carefully, install an on off switch as the structure scan will pull power from your battery if you choose not to.Be real careful where you install the transducer for the si or structure scan. The contrast is critical as too much will deliver clutter and the results are not there. I have an hds7 and have the contrast between 7 and 8 seems to work well. Trent Miller, Stripaholic.com is a master at his and he has the hds8. Hope my .02 worth helps.
Posted By: cwil

Re: Loswrance side scan - 08/14/11 05:04 PM

Have you been to the bass boat central lowrance forum? There are numerous threads on installs, setups, and other tips. Alot of great info there. It's very cool after it's setup. thumb
Posted By: Captain Chris

Re: Loswrance side scan - 08/14/11 05:12 PM

Want to know what your imaging transducer will "see" before installing it? And you will never have to rely on others with the hope you install yours right the 1st time. Remember what works for one, even with identical boats, may be completely wrong for you.
http://www.sternmate.com/Where.html
Posted By: luv to fish

Re: Loswrance side scan - 08/14/11 05:12 PM

Gene I'm jealous!!!!!! cry

Actually very happy for ya, let me know how it works out!
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: Loswrance side scan - 08/14/11 06:50 PM

Make sure you hook the yellow wire coming out of the graph to the yellow wire coming out of the structure unit. That is not clear in the directions. The yellow wire out of the structure unit is a sleep mode wire and if you wire it that way the structure unit will not come on until the graph is on.

Pat
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Loswrance side scan - 08/16/11 02:10 AM

Thanks guys, as most of you know I am electronically challenged. It will either work or burn up when I turn it on. Hopefully it will work.
Posted By: Bluwave Mike

Re: Loswrance side scan - 08/16/11 04:44 AM

I had mine installed. But they guy( I blanking on his name) at BPS can teach you everything you need to know.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Loswrance side scan - 08/16/11 05:14 PM

Gene.... Pay to have it done! If you drill holes in that fancy new boat..... hammer
Posted By: Captain Chris

Re: Loswrance side scan - 08/16/11 06:10 PM

Its a great idea to become familiar with your boat warranty to include its Exclusions and Limitations, Modification and Alterations clauses....its good advice for the entire life of your boat, even beyond the warranty term. Ask your transducer installer for his liability statement prior to "chucking up his favorite drill bit".
Posted By: TonyH.

Re: Loswrance side scan - 08/16/11 06:17 PM

NEVER drill a hole in a fiberglass transom -- why should you? Get a piece of 4" X 4" UHMW 3/4" thick a tube of urethane sealant (whats used in car glass window installs) glue the UHMW to the mounting area (clean hull spot and UHMW with acetone before gluing) -- then you can drill into UHMW to mount transducer - believe me the UHMW won't come off the hull under normal use -

I quit drilling mounts into hull years ago - works for aluminum hulls as well ---
Posted By: Filletmaker

Re: Loswrance side scan - 08/16/11 06:20 PM

Gene there not hard to install if you have a clear rout to run your cables. I installed mine in the last boat and it worked fine. The guy at BPS name is Doug he knows alot about these units.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum