Texas Fishing Forum

Fighting for the Hook?

Posted By: RapTrap

Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 08:44 PM

On several occasions this year I have hooked sandbass and when I got them up near the surface have seen very large hybrids and occasionally other sandbass chasing or swimming right beside the hooked fish. The first time I saw this I thought the Hybrid was trying to eat the sandbass but later have noticed even other sandbass giving chase which leads me to believe they are after the lure...Anyone else ever witness this or know what they are up to?
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 08:50 PM

Ever seen more than one dog eating out of the same bowl? Hogs/Deer under a feeder, cows eating out of a trawf, etc. Everyone always wants what to eat what the other guy has and not what's in front of them.

At least that's how I interpet it when I see the same thing.
Posted By: FishBeeLowMe

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 08:51 PM

Big time with topwaters!

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 08:55 PM

These are some attractive lures you are selling brother, the fish are lining up to get hooked by them! I hooked a hybrid yesterday on a Slab-a-palooza that came off near the boat...in my depression I just let the spoon start flutter down and the fish that just came unbuttoned...HIT IT AGAIN eek2
Posted By: PlanoKeith

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 08:55 PM

Yes the other day on HUBBARD I noticed it was happening when I was catching them on the slab over by the red barn smile
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 09:00 PM

I have had this happen with topwater. When it does stopping reeling and try to catch the bigger fish. One of my largest LMB I caught 11 lbs and change ate a 10" LMB that I caught and was reeling in. He came out of the depths and murdered that little fella.

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 09:03 PM

Originally Posted By: BrandoA
I have had this happen with topwater. When it does stopping reeling and try to catch the bigger fish. One of my largest LMB I caught 11 lbs and change ate a 10" LMB that I caught and was reeling in. He came out of the depths and murdered that little fella.
eek2 eek2 eek2
Posted By: Blazer95

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 09:20 PM

I have a buddy that every time he catches a small yellow will let it free spool for a little bit before he brings it in to take it off the hook and has caught some monster hybrids that way
Posted By: gborg

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 09:44 PM

This is potlicking at its finest. Next time a partner hooks up wait till the fish gets close to the boat , throw in your lure and see if u get bit, normally u will.
Posted By: Paul Rogers

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 10:36 PM

i save the yellow bass for a carolina rig at my honeyhole pond laugh

hey mike, were u out this morning? saw a guy in a red bass tracker and thought it was u. he didnt pull up right next to me and hook all my fish so it couldnt have been u bolt

j/k brother rolfmao
Posted By: Jeff Schiller

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 10:50 PM

You mean there's not just one fish down there? grin
If you throw a topwater out there, like a popper, work it really fast and watch the "V" come towards your bait.
Posted By: Denny Hix

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 11:05 PM

Just a couple of weeks ago I caught two sandies at the same time on a top water. One on the front treble and one on the back one.
Posted By: Jeff Craft

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/25/11 11:26 PM

Letting that little yellow run around is a good way to get a good grilling size blue steak....lol
Posted By: Oldtrackster

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/26/11 01:02 AM

I have caught 2 whites many times when there are two sets of trebles on the lure. I thought it was a regular occurence for multiple fish to be with the hooked fish especially when the fish are feeding hard, surfacing or both. I dont have much experience with hybrids, so couldnt say.

Re: Fighting for the Hook? - 07/26/11 04:37 AM

Originally Posted By: The Bombay
i save the yellow bass for a carolina rig at my honeyhole pond laugh

hey mike, were u out this morning? saw a guy in a red bass tracker and thought it was u. he didnt pull up right next to me and hook all my fish so it couldnt have been u bolt

j/k brother rolfmao

rolfmao rolfmao rolfmao Thats right it couldn't have been me then...thanks again for putting me on the fish that night...I have been back to that spot everyday since you showed me. I have worked that whole little area and pulled 21 quality hybrids off it...No worries though I threw them all back to be caught again! thumb
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum