Texas Fishing Forum

San Gabriel Whites / Steps

Posted By: phillipatomus

San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/19/10 10:51 PM

Figured I might start a thread for others to report on their fishing fun out on the San Gabriel. The whites ought to start moving soon, with the temperatures in the 70 and 60 all this week an next.

Went out to the river this last Sunday to take a look around, things are quite a bit different than last year. Water is way up. Alot of trees and debre has been moved all around.

Over by the Steps area large chucks of the eastern portion of the fishing bank have been washed away. The water was moving very very fast, but that should let up soon.

Looks to be a good year. Hope to see you all on the River.
Posted By: snowyriver6

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/20/10 03:45 AM

only problem is all the fish there are 9 inches
Posted By: Jeff Bamsch

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/20/10 02:12 PM

The water will not let up soon. Lake G'town in 4.5' over pool and they will start releasing any day now. That's not a bad thing though. It'll concentrate the fish in eddies and make em' easier to catch.
Posted By: pliddious

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/21/10 08:29 PM

I've made it to the white runs in previous years but always wondered if anybody fishes for bass or catfish in the river?
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/21/10 08:52 PM

NO fish yet, but we are hoping for a good spawn!

P.S. There are no fish in Granger!
Posted By: greenyak

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/22/10 03:14 AM

Might do some kayaking there saturday hope to find some fish.
Posted By: catfishindylan

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/22/10 04:42 AM

all the whites i caught last year were over 14 inches

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/22/10 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: pliddious
I've made it to the white runs in previous years but always wondered if anybody fishes for bass or catfish in the river?

Many people fish for Catfish on the San Gabriel. Tons of trot lines and limb lines as well. I don't think the river is good for largemouth. Great for Crappie.
Posted By: breambuster

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/22/10 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: snowyriver2
only problem is all the fish there are 9 inches

You're using the ruler wrong or holding your mouth wrong...there's plenty of legal size and above whites in the San Gabriel.
Posted By: monsterfireworks

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/22/10 07:09 PM

I would also have to disagree with snowyriver2 almost all of the whites I catch are 9 3/4 inch lol. When they are running you can get a limit but it may have to catch 60 fish to get it.

If we are going to see some bigger whites this will be the year. Major flood 2 years ago kept most people from fishing the spawn. Last year there was bearly enough water.

That river can be very productive for cats.
Posted By: Etread3332

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/22/10 09:13 PM

I think you missed a year there. It flooded 3 years ago and you are right it kept alot of ppl out, but there were still plenty of fish caught. The year after that I limited out on a dozen days between February and April. One day 6 of us caught our limit of whites and crappy within an hour below the steps. Last year was garbage because there wasnt any water. Most of the spawn happened on the lake.

This year should be killer as long as we dont get rained out.
Posted By: monsterfireworks

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/22/10 09:41 PM

You are correct. Three years ago I was in Big Bend during spring break. Not a drop of rain, meanwhile central texas was getting pounded. Two years ago I went to the steps and it was packed. I started catching limits all by myself about 100 yards upstream from the train tracks while everyone was elbow fighting below the steps.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/22/10 10:06 PM

how about tejas camp.anybody tried there. The whites there are usually a little bigger in G town
Posted By: Woj

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/25/10 01:45 AM

Plenty of water at Tejas, but no whites (yet)
Posted By: atxbandit

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/25/10 01:57 AM

Put the kayak in the water Friday but didn't find any whites. Launched at the primative launch and paddled about half a mile downstream, then came back and went about a mile upstream. Water temp got up to 54 so it shouldn't be long.
Posted By: E-A-G-L-E-S

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/25/10 08:01 PM

if you are talking about the steps im thinking about, im thinking about checking that area out this week. you dont think the lack of water in that area last year will effect the run this year?
Posted By: DaveB

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/25/10 08:26 PM

www.grangergang.com Check it out.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/26/10 08:18 PM

I also went out to the primative boat launch this past Saturday. No luck, but the water temp was around 54-56. Shouldn't be long now. Figure the cold snap this week might prolong a week or two more. The next couple of weeks should be fun.

Anyone been to the step and tried standing in the water. Looks like you would need to be pretty sturdy not to get washed away.
Posted By: Redman71

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/29/10 02:20 PM

Lived in RR for 30 years. I have fished Granger/San Gabriel numerous times without catching more than a couple here and there. I need one of you "experts" to show me how it's done.

Tommy Tidwell taught my freshman science class when I was in High School. I could call him, but I hear he mostly fishes "secret" spots on the main lake.

Any thoughts....?
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/29/10 03:38 PM

I'm thinking about a trip out there this year as well. Never fished it, but drive by quite a bit
Posted By: catchnrelease

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/30/10 01:52 PM

Get much rain on the San Gabriel? The fish should get going soon there. lots of fun fishing there.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 01/30/10 10:29 PM

this cold front probably knocked it back a week or 2

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/03/10 06:24 PM

Anyone have any updates on water temperature. I figured all this cold rain isn't helping. Suppose to get into the mid sixties Friday and Saturday. Maybe they will star this weekend? Any thoughts.
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/03/10 08:35 PM

That water will be ugly down there.
Posted By: gettin jiggy

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/09/10 05:08 PM

Anyone have any reports from out here or is it still to flooded?
Posted By: Boudreaux

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/09/10 08:04 PM

Flooded and boderline dangerous. Georgetown is still releasing so it will be that way for a while.
Posted By: FishSlayer07

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/10/10 01:57 PM

I drove across the bridge on 95 yesterday afternoon. The water looked like it was up pretty high and flowing pretty hard. Right now, I wouldnt waste my time trying to catch any there.
Posted By: SaltyDawg88

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/10/10 11:42 PM

Originally Posted By: FishSlayer07
I drove across the bridge on 95 yesterday afternoon. The water looked like it was up pretty high and flowing pretty hard. Right now, I wouldnt waste my time trying to catch any there.

Still too much flow like FishSlayer07 said!
Posted By: SeanH

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/21/10 03:32 PM

500 CFS is being released out of Lake Georgetown. I'm assuming the Steps are still a wash?
Posted By: jaykay

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/21/10 07:28 PM

I had checked eariler in the week on thursday and it was still too high, I think they were releasing 500 that day as well.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/21/10 09:05 PM

Sound like the spawn is still a little ways off. I'm seeing reports out of Reimers Ranch and Lake Somerville. Hopefully circleville will start up soon too.
Posted By: gsxr600

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/21/10 09:28 PM

Went yesterday around 4pm,what a difference from last year!! Fished next to a guy who was using river minnows on bottom caught around 10 then he gave up. 4 bass boats came through and was very suprised compared to last year. River is up and running. Saw several stringers of fish. I myself fished for 2hrs and only managed 3 fish on the fly.
Posted By: lazygabriel

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/21/10 10:38 PM

3 fish in 2 hours isn't horrible.sounds better than my weekend at cbsp. I fished 10 hours with no fish.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/22/10 03:03 AM

caught 12 keepers today
Posted By: deckhand*

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/22/10 04:26 AM

You guys are going to make sure there are plenty of folks fishing on the S.G. 33 posts and 1600+ views(aka lurkers too lazy to check it out themselves) I think I will now pass on the S.G.
Posted By: gsxr600

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/22/10 05:11 PM

WOW, I didnt think someone would pass on the S.G because of fishing reports and pictures of their catch, for worry of crowdedness. Never had a problem like that in the 25 yaers of fishing that river. I decided to jump in the forum and get my feet wet w/ a report but i guess that was my 1st and this is my last post cause i offended someone for passing up the STEPS. I hate to hear that. Bye the way CATS, nice mess of fish. Good job!
Posted By: lazygabriel

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/22/10 06:20 PM

No way keep posting.That place is crowded no matter what you do.Though it sounds like the good reports may actually thin the crowd.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/23/10 02:21 AM

i fish with a kayak no crowds just me and the lord. loll

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/25/10 03:10 PM

Reports, reports, reports??????
Posted By: Matthew J baggett

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/26/10 12:55 AM

looking forward to it, im going sunday

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/26/10 12:59 AM

very few fish there and very muddy, but in 2 weeks, ....look out

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/26/10 07:25 PM

I may swing by there this evening on my way home and take alook at things.
Posted By: longhorn1687

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/26/10 08:52 PM

I went over to the steps Wed after work and nothing. Same for everyone around me too. Lots of moving water but no fish.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/28/10 03:24 AM

only caught 3 today and son caught 1

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/28/10 04:08 AM

we need some warm weather, for about a week

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/28/10 08:24 PM

put on a OU shirt and you'll catch more
Posted By: Chris Munn

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 02/28/10 10:00 PM

went to the steps and the primative boat launch today and had no luck along with the other nine thousand people that were there. the only people who were catchin' anything were the guys catfishin'...

water was 49, high and moving fast. everywhere was pretty muddy and really slippery, i found that out the hard way!

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/01/10 03:24 AM

we went today and i caught one 10.5 incher but threw him back. saw a guy catch a few down the river alittle ways. all small males
Posted By: Chris Munn

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/01/10 04:22 AM

what were you fishin' with? it seemed like grub jigs and live minnows under floats were the baits of choice for most people there today....

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/01/10 11:57 PM

i was using green road runners, i wish i had some river minnows but i could catch any
Posted By: tx270

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/04/10 02:57 AM

Buddy and I put our boats in at the primitive launch after lunch. Paddled up to within 300 yds of the steps.

Fished until 5:30, caught a whopping one fish between the two of us.

Weather was nice today but I think their still shut down from the last cold front. A few more warm days should do it.

Bill

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/08/10 07:48 PM

got 5 at granger on jigs yesturday

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/09/10 10:59 PM

any reports today? the spawn in on in most places. hard to believe no one is catching here.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/09/10 11:00 PM

i dont know whats up, i did catch one female last time so they are starting to come up. we just need some hot weather

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/10/10 01:23 AM

its fished out
Posted By: elguero

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/10/10 04:05 PM

Well 1/2 full stringers have still been coming out - I think a few days of warmer weather and a rise in the h20 temp a few degrees will bring a few more waves of them. Just keep at it! I'll likely fish Somerville this weekend, though.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/16/10 04:32 PM

Well the spawn is on. At least as much as I can be. The steps and San Gabriel were very crowded this weekend. But alot were catching fish. I did ok with 12 keepers on Sunday fishing from 8-11 on the bank. Almost every body that fished more than a couple minutes seemed to have at least a fish or two on the stringer. Of the 12 fish, 10 were male. Females eggs were a ways from being mature.
Posted By: hippo1

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/16/10 05:03 PM

i also fished sunday pm. kept 13 mostly males 2 were females. not to bad until a huge portion of the bank fell in up river and muddied the water. yes big crowd

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/16/10 05:22 PM

I say it every year, I gotta get out there once to do some fishing

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/16/10 06:36 PM

anymore reports from Monday or today? can't decide to try it out or not. You guys get alot of rain out in Granger today? Just wondering if the water is too muddy or not. Going somewhere to fish tomorrow. Granger, Yegua, or Reimers. undecided as of yet. Have the day off.
Posted By: catchemquick

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/16/10 07:17 PM

Went out yesterday paddled up from primitive launch site to right before the steps caught 10 14 inch keepers and no exaggeration 100 7,8,and 9 inchers fat little suckers were killing the ultra light beside the fact a little sore from first all day trip and thumb and index finger rubbed raw great time good fishing dont know how bad the rain is going to screw it up though.
Posted By: Aggieangler93

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/17/10 05:12 AM

I haven't fished the steps before but am hoping to try it tomorrow. If you see 2 guys in waterloo rods caps, holler at us! We will be trying to figure it out.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/17/10 01:25 PM

I live in Hutto and if Brushey Creek is any indication the San Gabriel is probably going to be real nasty this weekend. Water is moving very very fast
Posted By: Backlash Larue

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/18/10 01:34 PM

Water was ok on Sunday. Fished on a gravel bar about halfway between steps and primitive boat ramp. Went back yesterday and water was up about 2 feet and the color and consistency of pottery mud. Didn't catch anything. Every fish I caught on Sunday was a male and all were within about 6 inchs of the shore.
Posted By: Aggieangler93

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/18/10 07:01 PM

Well yesterday we hit it pretty hard from about 1-4pm. There was nothing going on, with the exception of a few waders in one eddy catching some tiny stuff. Like Jeff said, most of theirs came within a foot or so of the bank.

I never got close enough to see if they were whites or crappie. I did see one fella upstream from there in another eddy catch a keeper crappie.

I can see how that area is good to fish, but the high water from the rain messed it up pretty decent I guess.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/22/10 10:17 PM

Is the water still muddy? looks like a good week to try it out down there.
Posted By: Yellowcat

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/23/10 02:14 AM

yesterday the water color was not too bad it was alittle of color but not that bad. fished for 5 hours and never caught a fish. put the boat in at the sirt ramp and went downriver.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/23/10 09:04 PM

Gonna try and get off work early Thursday, and head down there. Also put in to take friday off. But I'm heading to Somerville (yegua) then. I'll post a report by the weekend if I make it out to the steps. I'm taking a co-worker, my daughter and grandson. Hopefully the grandson (5yrs) one will have some luck. I will try and take a few pics while I'm there. Maybe I can post them later.
Posted By: HUNTING_COACH

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/25/10 02:40 PM

Any more info on the steps? Gonna head down this week after practice.

Anyone doing any good?

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/01/11 03:49 AM

went kayaking saturday caught 5 onyl 3 keepers

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/03/11 05:06 PM

Managed on 8 Wednesday. 3 early around 9:30 and 5 after 2pm. Beautiful scenery. Lots of hiking. I'm out of shape so I'm sore today. LOL. Didnt see any limits. Most had 3 - 8 fish. Should be better soon.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/05/11 06:55 PM

Just curious about all the "catching" going on there this weekend. I don't see any posts since my last one.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/14/11 09:08 PM

???
Posted By: sampsun

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/15/11 11:28 PM

I think it's because there is not much catch in steps currently.
I have been there twice this year. Haven't seen any one catch a limit. Most of them got nothing, like me
Posted By: fishngolftexas

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/16/11 12:37 PM

CNR-
What is the water like at the steps? Thinkin' bout takin the kiddos tomorrow but not if it's too high or muddy...

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/16/11 03:45 PM

I went out there yesterday afternoon. The water is nice. I saw alot of people with their kids. But, there were not as many people as I thought there would be. There were only about 10-15 cars there at 4pm. That was good.

As it turned out, I was skunked. No fish!. My two buddies caught one each. We used artificial. A group of three guys found a nice hole near us and had about 15-20 between them. They were catching river minnows & shad with a throw net. I guess "live" bait was the weapon of choice yesterday?

All in all, it was a beautiful afternoon out there

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/17/11 02:30 AM

I always have luck with seined bait when arties won't catch'em. It's more work but it's worth it! Thanks for the report...how far from the steps did you fish?
Posted By: whipper

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/17/11 01:22 PM

I heading out to Granger tomorrow with my kids for the weekend and would love for them to catch a bunch of fish, cats, whites or crappies. I really dont care what the cathc as longs as it bunch!! We have a boat or will fish from shore. Anyone have any advice.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/17/11 10:37 PM

Originally Posted By: fishngolftexas
I always have luck with seined bait when arties won't catch'em. It's more work but it's worth it! Thanks for the report...how far from the steps did you fish?

About 100 yds upstream from the steps in the deeper hole around the sandbar that has the tree in the water accross the shallow part of the river.

Re: San Gabriel Whites / Steps - 03/19/11 03:39 AM

Fished yesterday from 3:30 until sunset and managed 3 keepers all females. Two on seined minnows and one on curly tail roadrunner (white). All caught within 100 yds of the bend at the steps. Water is slow and is shallow most places. Big crowd of people, too. Did see a few fly fishers having good success in very concentrated holes.

Fished hard today from 1:30 pm until sunset and managed 6 keepers on seined minnows all males. Also threw roadrunners with curly tail and no luck at all. All fish caught within 100 yds of the bend at the steps. Did not see anyone having great success today. Also much fewer fishers today than yesterday.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum