Texas Fishing Forum

Sabine river whites

Posted By: jdfish

Sabine river whites - 11/23/09 02:32 PM

I want to be ready when the whites start spawning on the Sabine. I know there is a private boat launch at River Ridge. Is there another public ramp between RR and the coal shoal? I am planning on using a 12' alum. jon boat. Will that work in that stretch of the river. Thanks, JDFISH
Posted By: roadtrip

Re: Sabine river whites - 11/23/09 03:48 PM

Yeah. There is a bridge between the coal shoals and RR. If I remember right the shoals are downstream of 79. There is the bridge at Deadwood with a real nice put in, it is FM 2517, 9 river miles north of RR. The jon boat should work fine, just be careful and wear your life jacket. If the river is high watch for floating logs. The last two years when I went the river was real high and fast.
Posted By: Ranger-188-2007

Re: Sabine river whites - 11/24/09 03:38 AM

The middle of January should be about right.
Posted By: eddie lane

Re: Sabine river whites - 11/24/09 11:28 PM

jdfish and roadtrip
will be RR the first week in march and will probably fish one day from 2517 ramp so let me know its shape when you use it. As in years past will spend most of my time at the mouth a Murval,always do good there. Only trouble with RR is you do not want to leave.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Sabine river whites - 11/25/09 03:49 AM

The fish starts showing up at Christmas and are good through mid March. Last year we fished in February and had a ton of fun. I will say this...there is a lot more than just showing up and fishing...there is a lot of skill and reasons to the rhyme as to how/when/where you fish in that river. You can actually get skunked there pretty easy. wink
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Sabine river whites - 11/26/09 04:46 AM

We're getting the list together as to who's going and who's not. Looking to head out there mid to late Feb. Usually our best fishing comes about then. But have only been skunked once, and that was mid march. I love fishing out there. Good fish, and people seem to be kinda laid back. I guess when everyone's catching, it tends to ease the atmosphere a bit.

Jay
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum