Texas Fishing Forum

Big Striper

Posted By: MrG

Big Striper - 09/08/09 05:14 PM

A fella comes across some interesting things from time to time if he happens to drop in to a few hole-in-the-wall beer joints every now and then.

I was visiting my folks in Rockport over the weekend and no one wanted to watch football on Sunday afternoon. It just so happens there is one of the aforementioned joints called "GENA'S" right across the hiway from their place with a nice TV.

As I was sitting there visiting with a few folks I'd never met before I couldn't help but notice this huge striper hanging on the wall.

Just so happens that the proprietor, Gena, you might have guessed, was the lucky angler that landed that beast. It came out of Buffalo Springs Lake near Lubbock in the early 80's. She caught it while sitting on a pier soaking a minnow under a cork. No hightech electronics, downriggers, or even a boat were necessary. She said it weighed, "thirtysomething." She never had it verified for any records.

Another interesting thing is that my family had a cabin there till the mid 70's and I spent many summer weekends skiing and swimming in the same waters. If I'd have known there were fish like that to be caught in Lubbock county I may have never moved from there 25 years ago.LOL As they say, it's a small world.

Here's a pic of Gena with her monster and another shot for perspective.

Posted By: Holzer

Re: Big Striper - 09/08/09 05:20 PM

I don't know, I think that looks like a yellow bass to me smile

Very nice fish! I bet that was fun.
Posted By: Brian Spagnola

Re: Big Striper - 09/08/09 05:25 PM

Did that thing happen to be sitting right above the deep fryer.
Posted By: JSIG

Re: Big Striper - 09/08/09 05:44 PM

Wow, big fish! Time for a touch up on the paint though. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Striper Sniper

Re: Big Striper - 09/08/09 05:55 PM

eeks she didn't happen to say how much it weighed?
Posted By: Z71

Re: Big Striper - 09/08/09 06:02 PM

Neat pic...it does look like that fish has been smoked tho...
Posted By: MrG

Re: Big Striper - 09/08/09 06:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Z71
Neat pic...it does look like that fish has been smoked tho...
Yer skin turns that color after 30 years in a beer joint.LOL
Posted By: craigo

Re: Big Striper - 09/08/09 06:22 PM

Great fish and pic... nice story as well..
Posted By: Haaker

Re: Big Striper - 09/09/09 02:04 AM

MrG Good One!!!

Haak
Posted By: "Da" NITRO

Re: Big Striper - 09/09/09 02:09 AM

The thing that sticks out most in that story (as with most big stripers caught in Texas) is that it was caught in the early 80's. Nevertheless, great story and great read, thanks for sharing thumb
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Big Striper - 09/09/09 07:09 AM

Nice fish, though it could use a good dusting.
Posted By: LL

Re: Big Striper - 09/09/09 06:08 PM

Yes...there have been some monster striper caught out of Buffalo Springs. I know back in the late 90s, a guy caught one that went 27 lbs.

We used to catch some good ones in the hole behind the dam...between Buffalo and Ransom Canyon.

There are still some in the lake, but the golden algae got most of them a few years back.

© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum