Texas Fishing Forum

Texoma Top water lures

Posted By: midgetoe

Texoma Top water lures - 08/09/09 04:25 AM

Hey guys, we just got home from fishing Texoma. We got into a couple of Stripers that were schooling although only got 2 bites. What have you all been using on top water schools?
Posted By: okieyakker

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/09/09 01:46 PM

chug bugs 90% of the time for me.
If the fish are bigger I throw a popa dog, which hasn't happened yet this year on texoma.

Key for me is to move the bait fast and loud, you can't pop them to hard or move them to fast. Make that bait as noticeable as you can, don't pop, pause, pop, pause..... Keep it moving.
Posted By: Johnny Jr

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/09/09 01:49 PM

Make sure your topwater has a tail and move it fast.

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/09/09 04:03 PM

Hey guys I really appreciate the feedback! Any specific color they hit?
Posted By: Frank I

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/09/09 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Johnny Jr
Make sure your topwater has a tail and move it fast.

Excellent advice... thumb The little feather or whatever you have as tail material makes a difference in my opinion. Color of the plug itself shouldn't matter much with topwater schoolies, but I would think that the closer you could come to what they're chasing would increase your odds at a hook up.
Posted By: B_vandy

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/09/09 05:41 PM

anything with an the bright orange belly keep it moving and bright..
Posted By: Stripers Inc.

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/09/09 05:44 PM

Pencil poppers and zara spooks. I thow the big lures right in the middle of the little fish. They tend to weed through them to only bring out the larger fish that are in the school. If the fish are too small to eat those big plugs then I'll go else where.

Good Luck,
Brian

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/09/09 09:19 PM

Awesome advice, I will try some this coming week and let you all know how we do.
Posted By: SteveStrasemeier

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/09/09 09:27 PM

Pencil Poppers, chug bugs, zara spooks.
Heres a double (Both over 20") caught on one pencil popper Friday a week ago.

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/09/09 09:33 PM

If only they could all be doubles like that!
Posted By: skeetpiece

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/10/09 04:55 PM

pencil popper

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/15/09 04:33 AM

Seems the stripers are still eluding us! We headed out of flowing wells and headed north. We circled the islands in search of fins breaking water to not find much. As we chugged along the south shore south of the islands they exploded for just a few seconds to only be gone again. We finally stopped by the flats on our way back and got into a small school of itty bitty little guys and only caught 2 before the sun went down for the day. Although we have not given up, we returned to the slip with our tail between our legs.

Re: Texoma Top water lures - 08/17/09 01:26 PM

Still not much luck with Stripers. We got into the sand bass with no problem.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum