Texas Fishing Forum

how long to fillet a sandbass?

Posted By: LKTTU

how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 02:40 PM

After some trial and error, I can fillet a sandbass in 5 minutes. Is this still slow? After my first few attempts, this seems rather quick. I cut behind its head over the gills and along its back, then cut the meat away from head to tail. I end up with two decent pieces of meat. Is this correct? Any other tips would be good.
Posted By: PappyFish

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 02:44 PM

Has to suit your style and taste. Sounds like you are doing manual. For a good guide with a good electric knife...maybe 30 seconds. Go figure.
Oh and watch out for those fingers! smile

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 02:51 PM

30 seconds!! I would love for someone to teach me how to do that! I start to throw them back when I get 10 or so because I am looking at an hour to clean them. Seems like on the smaller fish that an electric knife would be hard to get all the meat.
Posted By: Longeye

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 02:57 PM

"Seems like on the smaller fish that an electric knife would be hard to get all the meat".

Heck, that's why you keep more than 10. Sandbass are so plentiful, it don't hurt to waste a "little" meat (don't take it the wrong way).

Honestly, with a good electric fillet knife, you would be amazed how quick and easy it is with practice. Gaurantee that I can clean 25 by myself in less than 30 minutes (rib cage and all).

Posted By: gettin jiggy

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:00 PM

I agree with Longeye!!! I can clean a limit in 20 to 25 minutes no problem.
Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:03 PM

30-45 seconds a fish if I get in a good groove. I get ALOT of practice! Start with a manual and then move to an electric.

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:03 PM

Oh, I am going to have to get one of those! Can someone explain what cuts they make? Will a cheap wal-mart knife do the job or will I need to spend some real money to get a good one? Thanks for the help.
Posted By: Rooster99

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:04 PM

30 seconds is a little faster than me, but I can do one in a minute or less. Here's how I do it, noting I'm right handed:

- Fish laying flat with head to the left, top fin towards me

- Electric knife blade right behind gills, down to backbone, from the top of the fish to nearly the belly (takes practice, more difficult on smaller fish)

- At the back bone, turn the knife parallel to the fish's orientation (flat) and go straight down the length of the fish NEARLY to the tail (important). Do NOT go through the backbone at any time.

- Stopping with about 1/2" to 3/4" of meat left to the tail, flip the fillet over the tail. This should look like you just opened a door to the fish, with the hinge point at the tail

- Keeping the knife flat against the cutting board, start at the tail "hinge", go down the length of the "flap" which is now nothing more than fillet, ribs, and skin. The skin of the fish is amazingly tough and you can basically apply plenty of pressure to prevent leaving wasted scraps on the skin. Go all the way to the big end of the fillet and the fillet should be free of the skin. Lay the fillet to the side. Flip the fish, repeat for the other side.

- With the fillet on the cutting board, make a curve cut at a 45 degree angle to take out the rib section in the fillet with as little waste as possible. Over time, you can feel and see the rib section easily and not waste any meat. Repeat for second fillet.

I hope this helps. It would really help to watch a video or see someone do it. I learned by watching my dad clean hundreds of fish as a kid. He can do them faster than me, probably 30 sec or so, while telling a story and drinking a beer... amazing.
Posted By: Fishinboy

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:04 PM

electric knife makes a world of difference. Rapala has one at Walmart.
Posted By: BridgeportGuide

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:06 PM

Just what Rooster said!
Posted By: Rooster99

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:08 PM

Oh yeah, just a note. The above is the only way I've ever filleted fish, and there are probably equal or better ways. In January I caught a 26lb Blue Catfish and "attempted" to use the same method. It worked for the most part, except that a 39" fish when filleted length-wise and opened up is now about 6' long... so I had to get a giant board as a cutting surface. And the fillet was so tall that my knife wouldn't clear the other side, so I had to make two passes when separating the skin from fillet. But for small fish I think it works good.

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:16 PM

Sounds like I will get an electric fillet knife! I was sure excited at the 5min fish and was showing off to my better half just how much meat I was able to get off of each one. Keep in mind I am teaching myself all this stuff by trial and error.
Posted By: BOSTON BOB

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:20 PM

LKTTU,

Check your pm's!!!!
Posted By: ATM97

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:28 PM

All electric knives are not equal either. More money does not mean better. If all you are doing is whites, a regular electric knife from the kitchen section at walmart works better than most of the "fishing knives". If you will be doing a lot or bigger fish, mister twister makes an electric knife that is amazing (never gets hot). You can also interchange the regular blades and even 9 inch blades for the big fish.It is blue and white and can get it at most academy stores esp in Houston for under $30.The pirhana blades that come with it slime up easy so I use the regualr blades. Fish cleaning stations at the ramp are great but at home I just use a 2x10 between some saw horses w/ 50 gallon trash can underneath and makes clean up very easy. Another thing that I saw a guide do once that helped shave even more time off is make the cut along the ribs while the fish is still on the skin w/ the electric knife then when you cut the meat away it goes stright in the bowl without getting it dirty.
Posted By: skeetpiece

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:29 PM

30 seconds max with an electric knife, that includes cutting the ribs out
Posted By: Catfish_Hunter

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 03:44 PM

Where are you located?

When I don't play around any and don't be TOO meticulous, I can usually have a crappie or small bass cleaned in prob. 30 seconds or so...and I do it manually.

But...I tend to play around too much, making sure to follow the bones as closely as I can...still can do 'em pretty quick.
Posted By: Fish Charmer

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 04:15 PM

I use an electric. Never timed it but it probably doesn't take me more than 30 seconds. I cut in behind the gill and fin at about a 45, run down the bone, leave a little bit of skin, flip fillet and cut it right off the skin, flip fish and repeat.
Posted By: Longeye

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 04:17 PM

Just like a rabbit - Wam Bam

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 04:29 PM

I fish bob sandlin from the state park pier. (don't have a boat and its 11mi from my house).
Posted By: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 04:56 PM

For me to clean Sand Bass about 45 years. But I'm still working on it.
Posted By: Jeff Schiller

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas Guide Fishing - Mark Parker
For me to clean Sand Bass about 45 years. But I'm still working on it.

That's a lot of scrubbing with soap and water.

I've never timed it. I don't think I'm fast or accurate for that matter.
Maybe there is a ratio to the number of beers on hand vs the number of fish that have to be cleaned. bolt
Posted By: 9874opf

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 05:00 PM

American Angler make a decent fillet knife if you get the MT version--it does get REALLY hot when filleting larger fish--reds, stripes ect. Never really had a problem with it on sandbass though. Academy has a good return policy so if it does burn up just keep you receipt and they should exchange it for you.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 05:47 PM

the guides up on Texoma swear by the old Sunbeam electrics. You have to get them at garage sales now. They say they are by far the best. They also install and replace the new Rapala blades frequently. Supposed to be far better than any others.

But I know an old man down on Cedar Creek, ex-butcher, who'll be glad to race anyone. He uses an 11" Rapala filet knife. He can beat most with an electric.
Posted By: deckhand*

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 05:51 PM

Find a saltwater version of the American Angler, and never get one with rechargable battery.
Posted By: hamster1

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 06:06 PM

The most i've EVER been impressed about was a friends mom that'll fillet a sand bass WITH the rib cage meat and NO BONES!
Posted By: Parker

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 09:51 PM

check this method out

click here
Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 09:59 PM

With old sharp fillet knife, about a minute, but if I'm careful about two minutes. Mostly crappie and whitebass.
Posted By: tworod

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/02/08 10:11 PM

The way everyone is describing is the best with an electric, but do what the guides say, do not use an expensive knife from academy or basspro, go to walmart and buy a 12 dollar knife, it will work just as well, I have the american angler and do not like it at all, will be going to walmart soon.
Posted By: hamster1

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/03/08 12:47 PM

Awesome Video!!!!!

I feel really bad when I fillet those sandbass and throw away all that good meat!

Now if only i can catch BG's that size!!!
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/03/08 12:53 PM

Hm, I can fillet a sandbass in about 30 seconds with my manual fillet knife, but by the time I've gotten to fish #20 the time is more like 2 minutes.

You'll get better with practice - and five minutes is great as long as you only filleted the fish and not your fingers!

Re: how long to fillet a sandbass? - 06/03/08 02:42 PM

Well, thanks for the video, he got a lot more meat off that fish than I do off mine, and in a shorter ammount of time. I will work with the knife I have and get good at it before I get the electric, if I could clean them that fast and get that much meat, I will be happy. Thanks to everyone for the help.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum