Texas Fishing Forum

Tawakoni Report-Updated 5/31

Posted By: Stripaholic

Tawakoni Report-Updated 5/31 - 05/28/08 08:54 PM

Hit the morning shift. After trying shallow early then moving out to open water things was not working out. Fish were very scattered with very small pods. At 11:30 we had only 3 hybrids. The few pods we came across just wasn't interested. I started preparing the boat to go in when it happened. 4 rods go down at the same time then for the next hour and a half we could not keep bait in the water. The graph showed a blackout of arches from 20 to 30 ft. Non-stop action! Eventually I ran out of rods from break-offs(because I didn't retie leaders). We left them biting because of prior engagements. We lost count but I feel we had over 50 hybrids with 3 stripers in the 6-7lb. range. Nice to see the stripers! thumb
With the way the morning went this was totally unexpected. So be patient or just sleep in because this was a great mid-day bite.
Posted By: David Lee

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/28/08 09:17 PM

Turn a bad day into a nice one quickly.thumb
Posted By: Fuzzy

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/28/08 09:25 PM

You are killing me here...

That's OK...it is gonna be a Texoma weekend...come on Friday!!!!
Posted By: Ray Hubbard Guide- J.V.

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/28/08 11:58 PM

I love the 9th inning home run thumb
Posted By: kodys'papa

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/29/08 12:07 PM

we caught a bunch of undersized hybrids and kept 15 very nice sandbass yesterday fishing the greenville pump station
even saw a couple of those "summer" schools stacked on the bottom in 15 feet of water
Posted By: BOSTON BOB

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/29/08 12:21 PM

NICE!!!!! Sounds like a fun day, even if the action came late, at least you found 'em!!!!

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/29/08 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: kodys'papa
even saw a couple of those "summer" schools stacked on the bottom in 15 feet of water

Its nice to see them beginning to bunch up. This should be the start of the best time of the year IMO. June and July are two of my favorite months, when size and numbers come together.
I have several openings in June. If you are thinking about a trip on Tawakoni, now is the time.

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 11:34 AM

Hybrids and stripers are bunching up and staging for "summer school". They are not in there summer spots yet. If you can find them it makes for some great fishing.
Posted By: live2fish

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 01:35 PM

Stripaholic, do you use gizzard shad or treadfin or both. What do you have the best luck on?
Posted By: Gmann

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: live2fish
Stripaholic, do you use gizzard shad or treadfin or both. What do you have the best luck on?

Not answering for Stripaholic, but we usually catch the bigger hybrids on gizzards. And the stripers seem to prefer threadfins. The only problem with the threadfins is that you can't keep the sand bass off them.

We prefer gizzards 5-7" long. But it always amazes me that the bigger stripers seem to prefer the smaller, 3" threadfins.
Posted By: live2fish

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 03:56 PM

Thanks, I assume an egg weight, carolina rigged. What size weight and hook? I have used some true-turn hooks that I use for bass fishing, but I heard a kale hook is good?
Posted By: Bluwave Mike

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 04:23 PM

Great to hear.

He will probly say what ever bait he can catch. Most of the time it will be TF and if you find Gizzards use them.

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 04:55 PM

Thanks, I assume an egg weight, carolina rigged. What size weight and hook? I have used some true-turn hooks that I use for bass fishing, but I heard a kale hook is good?

Kale is a great hook but not for releasing fish. I use a Kale for cat fish.
Posted By: fishin247

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 05:26 PM

Trent 50... How much did yall drink???

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 06:08 PM

We use a 1 oz egg weight, bead, swivel and a Gamakatsu octopus hook. I can't remember the size, I just go by what I see. And a bigger hook is not necessary. If I told you a size, I'd be guessing.

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 06:42 PM

The size of shad is what I key on most. I mostly use gizzards because I like 6-9" baits so sandies and smaller fish leave them alone. My personal favorite is the biggest threadfins you can find (6" or 7") but its rare I come across them.

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 06:46 PM

2 oz. weight and the hook size is dependant on style of hook. Kahle- 1/0 or circle-3/0.

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: fishin247
Trent 50... How much did yall drink???

Now come on junior you know I don't drink. nuts
Posted By: The Black Hammer

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/30/08 07:06 PM

Went Thursday afternoon. Managed to wrangle up 10 5-6" Gizzard shads for myself. Headed out to the humps and fished the ridges. No hybrids or stripers, just some really "BIG" sandies that tore up my shad's. These are in the 16-17" range. Never seen them trying to eat big gizzard shad before.
Posted By: fishin247

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/31/08 01:54 AM

Yea Yea yea how could I forget good to see your still catchin fish. Hope life is going good and tell Chad I said hey.

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/31/08 06:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Stripaholic
The size of shad is what I key on most. I mostly use gizzards because I like 6-9" baits so sandies and smaller fish leave them alone. My personal favorite is the biggest threadfins you can find (6" or 7") but its rare I come across them.

banana flehan banana flehan banana flehan banana flehan

Re: Tawakoni Report - 05/31/08 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Gmann

But it always amazes me that the bigger stripers seem to prefer the smaller, 3" threadfins.

I hear ya Gmann, I've caught a 14lb striper on a 3" threadfin before...after we ran out of bigger gizzards. I think sometimes its just right place at the right time regardless of the size of bait.

Re: Tawakoni Report-Updated 5/31 - 05/31/08 07:05 PM

Took clients out today to high winds and big waves. After our bath on the way out loco, things started out with a bang. We hit 7 hybrids and stripers right off the bat. We thought,OK here we go dance2. But the bite quickly slowed. Go figure. So we picked at them one here and there until we finally got them going again around noon. This bite didn't last long either so we ended the day with around 25 hybrids with a few stripers thrown in. All fish were caught in 30' of water 20-25' down. The massive school of last week had thinned and spreadout more this weekend so they should be beginning to move into the summertime patterns soon.

Re: Tawakoni Report-Updated 5/31 - 05/31/08 08:21 PM

A few weks ago we were catching them in the afternoons schooled shallow (9 to 15ft)running bait. Useing sassy shad. But the last time I was out was before last weekend.

Re: Tawakoni Report-Updated 5/31 - 06/01/08 12:22 AM

Ya gotta love sassys in shallow water. smile
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Tawakoni Report-Updated 5/31 - 06/01/08 02:44 AM

We'll be hittin' 'em tomorrow evening from about 5pm 'til dark.

I'll post results Monday AM.

Jay
Posted By: psycho0819

Re: Tawakoni Report-Updated 5/31 - 06/03/08 12:20 AM

Sorry this report is so late, been busy working.

We hit Tallman about 4pm Sunday Evening, and instantly starting catching sand bass. After 10-15 of them in short order, we pulled up and left. We were looking for a big fish bite (as always), so we went and hunted around the dam. Found some fish on the ledge at the bend, and boated three nice Striper between 6-8lbs. We could've kept on catching them, but my buddy kept telling me about the blues he's been hammering lately up to 40lbs. So we went to give them a try around 6pm. We boated quite a few(6-8) little ones (around 5lbs) before we left at 9pm, never having gotten the big bite like he'd been getting the previous few evenings.

It was a good trip though. My first one this year. The new baby has kept me and mom really busy. It was more a scouting trip for me to see where the fish & bait are hanging, check water temps, and mostly get in the swing of things again. Next trip won't be an A.D.D. trip. I'll focus on one thing, and hammer 'em when I find 'em.

Jay
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum