Texas Fishing Forum

Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V?

Posted By: Rooster99

Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 02:13 PM

I'm seriously considering getting a new/newer boat. I love to fish for whites and hybrids, but also fish for catfish and crappie - and I fish all year round. I don't bass fish much, but do on occasion. I like to fish Ray Hubbard the best, but my home lake is Joe Pool, so I'll run out there when I only have a little time, or I'm taking my younger kids. I'd also like to use the boat to pull a tube with the kids from time to time this Summer.

I'm currently considering something like an Alumacraft 165 Classic (Deep V), or perhaps a Tracker Super Guide v16 (also Deep V), or the Tracker Pro Team 175 TXW, which is a moderate V bass boat. I thought I'd made my mind up to get the Deep V when I looked at the Pro Team 175 and found myself confused again. Each is aluminum, each fits in my garage, and each fits my budget.

I'd like to get inputs from my fellow TFF'ers on what they think would provide the best mix, given what I like to do. And perhaps if you have an idea on something I haven't considered yet.

Thanks all for your time.
Posted By: Vaughn Coomer

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 02:25 PM

I would go with the deep V. Better in heavy weather and you said you have young kids, bass boats don't have sides to help hold the kids in. Look at the Lowe boats Cabella's offers as well.
Posted By: rbadley

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 02:28 PM

I agree about the sides of boats and kids. Deep v's and center console type boats are great with kids. They also take waves better, etc. However, like everything everyone has differences in opinions but thats my 2 cents.
Posted By: Jeff Schiller

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 02:29 PM

hee-hee grin

Deep-V

Check out a Lund or Crestliner before you decide. And check out Advantage Marine also. It's a winning combination.

You can do all of what you described in a deep-v.
Posted By: BAMAboy

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 02:32 PM

My vote is for a Deep V. When I bought mine my biggest concern was the "what if factor". What if your out on the water and a storm blows up on ya. I got a Blue Wave but sometimes I wish I went with alumn. Like every time I see the scars I picked up on stumps, etc bang. Mine will draft in 12"s of water. It's a good multi-species boat. One thing I will say, if you go for the Deep-V get one with a wide beamwidth. Mine's only 88"s and anytime people move around you can really tell it. If all us fatboys get on one side it really leans. blush

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 02:57 PM

Great inputs everyone, thanks. Another question, is there any problem in fishing shallow with a Deep V? I don't see specs on the boats I mentioned that talk about how shallow they run. Is that an important factor?
Posted By: redfinŽ

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 02:58 PM

Definitely Deep-V. Not great for shooting docks but you could change and use plastic bubble bodies and "skip" those baits up under the docks if you had to. Figure there are more windy days in Texas vs. calm days on the water.

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 03:04 PM

I guess it depends on if your running the big motor or trolling motor, just keep in mind when they say draft, I believe they're talking the boat and not the motor. You can always tilt the motor all the way up and use the trolling motor. I would "think" a bass boat would be better running the main motor but I'm on my first and only boat and don't really know. noidea I guess the improtance would depend on the user.
Posted By: Left Hook

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 03:13 PM

I have a 18 ft ranger bass boat & my next boat will be a Lund from Advatage Marine.

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 03:15 PM

I haven't really checked for certain, but I can tell you that I've operated my boat with the trolling motor with 2' on my trolling motor graph and it was blinking (meaning it was losing contact with the bottom because it was getting shallow).

And that's a Lund 1900 Pro-V - 19'.
Posted By: Darren418

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 04:12 PM

Another vote for the Deep V. The Alumacraft Classic 165 is really nice, especially with the Yamaha 50 package. I fish Ray Hubbard and can tell you, the Deep V (or modified V in my case) is great when either a) the wind kicks up and you get 3 foot swells, or b) it's the typical Saturday or Sunday zoo and all the boat wakes create a situation not unlike situation "a"...RH is like a big bathtub with big boys making waves!

Personally I think a low freeboard deep v like the tracker tournament v-18 is the best of both worlds. A little wetter ride, but better for being "one with the water." The low freeboard (like a true bass boat) is good for reduced wind area when chasing whites & hybrids out in the open lake, but then you have the nice V-hull ride for zipping around.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 04:27 PM

Deep-V thumb
Posted By: redfinŽ

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 04:42 PM

The one negative with a deep-V (and a lot of CC's) is their high profile when the wind is blowing. Just be sure to get an electric troll motor that can steady you or make headway against the wind.

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 05:35 PM

Is a 55lb MinnKota sufficient? That is what is standard, but of course there is no monetary obstacle to more power... (except how much I have...)

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 05:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Rooster99
Is a 55lb MinnKota sufficient? That is what is standard, but of course there is no monetary obstacle to more power... (except how much I have...)

Yes, for the boats you are talking about (Classic 165 and similar) 55 lbs. is enough. I have a 40 lb.-er and it's enough 99% of the time unless I'm out in a gale.
Posted By: Mike Andrews

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 06:02 PM

For what you mainly do (whites, hybrids, crappie, and cats) go with the deep V. Go out to Cabelas and take a look at the Lowes. A buddy of mine, Lancer821 here on the board, has a 175 with a 115 OptiMax on it and it's a sweet ride. I bought a Nitro bass boat last year and fish for whites and hybrids alot more than I fish for bass and guess what....I wish I had the deep V.

As for trolling motors buy as much as you can afford. The type fishing you want to do is mainly open water. My 17.5' boat came with a 46# on it, it's now got an 82# and it was worth every penny I spent on it.
Posted By: ERNEST PATY

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 06:07 PM

Absolutely, positivly, definately.....Deep-v.The wider the better.
Posted By: Lakeguide

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 06:23 PM

You might consider a center console. I fish for multi-species out of a bass boat and it is great for speed and has a lot of deck, but I am looking at centers right now because they are much more versatile. I have fished Fork in the stumps in a 21' center and gotten around about as good in stumps and shallows as in a bass boat. It was really surprising! The centers have a good draft and the sides will keep kids in and waves out. Lots of options out there. Right now is a great time to buy a fairly new/used boat. Lots of deals out there, take your time and you'll find the right one for you!

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: redfinŽ
The one negative with a deep-V (and a lot of CC's) is their high profile when the wind is blowing. Just be sure to get an electric troll motor that can steady you or make headway against the wind.

Ditto,
I've got a 56lb w/my 18ft cc and its underpowered. I wish I had gone with something bigger. Around 65-80lb.
Posted By: slabnshad

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/06/08 07:53 PM

I run an older V hull alum Sea Nymph, has high sides and will
handle any water I care to be on, getting to the point I really
like this type boat. Crestliner and Lund both good boats but I
have been in 16 and half and 17 and half V hull Lowes and
I would even consider trading mine for one were I in the market.
as stated previously be sure to look at all and get what you
like, but The deep V hull will handle rough water fine. and
the high sides are great for kids and old fellows like me.
Posted By: JayDon

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/07/08 12:26 AM

Go with a Lund and the biggest trolling motor they make. Mine is a 2025 Pro V Magnum and a 101 lb thrust 36 volt TM. Do I always need that much boat and that much trolling motor? Nope. Have I ever been in a situation where the water was so rough that I felt I was in danger or run the batteries down on the TM? Nope. Peace of mind is great, but it dang sure is expensive!!!
Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/07/08 12:38 AM

Get a deep vee hull. On the boats you're talking about, you're only going to draw 10" or so of water anyways, so with a trolling motor, you can fish shallow water.
Posted By: Fly

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/07/08 01:40 AM

I've had my 16.5 ft LUND for exactly two years. Been in some water I really would not consider in a bass style. I crappie, sand/hybrid and catfish. Great for all the above. My customers always feel safe.
The only trouble I have with it is people keep knocking the red lenses off my trailer lights. smile
Either way you go, you haven't done your homework until you've talked to Joe at Advantage Marine. He's good folks.

Posted By: Matthew Carroll

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/07/08 07:16 AM

Well I'll chime in here... I've got a 16.5 Alumacraft with a 70 Yamaha and a 70 lb. (24 volt) thrust trolling motor... Been in water as shallow as 24 inches and never had a problem... As stated in an earlier post don't under power your trolling motor, as you will probably use it most... Deep-V will be an added feature for keeping the children in check...
I can go about 32 miles an hour with 3 people and to me that's fast enough on the water...
Just my 2 Cents
By the way did I mention that JIGUM JIGS catch fish....
Jigum

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/07/08 02:30 PM

Thanks everybody for the inputs. I'm narrowing it down, but I'm definitely getting the deep v hull type. Now to just pick which one and the options. Your inputs on those have been great too - thanks!

If I play my cards right, this will be my last weekend in my 15' fiberglass tri-hull. I suppose my bones can take the Ray Hubbard waves once more in it.
Posted By: lancer821

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/07/08 04:07 PM

I have the Lowe FM 175 from Cabelas. I upgraded to the 115 OptiMax and 75 ft lb trolling motor. I couldn't imagine have the 90 hp or the smaller trolling motor on this boat. Right now I fish in wind as strong as I want to fish in and go about 45 mph with a buddy and full gear.
Posted By: Flying Dutchman

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/07/08 06:54 PM

I have the Tracker 185 Sport with a 150 OptiMax and love it! The wind does push you around a bit. But the trolling motor that came with it in the package deal was plenty I think it was a 60lb with a 60" shaft. I've been out in some pretty big waves on Benbrook and was watching bass boats take waves over the front and I never had an issue. Boat GPS's @ 52 mph with a full load of gear and 3 adults.
Posted By: Mark S

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/08/08 01:24 AM

what you need to ask yourself is do you like to get wet on any day when the wind is over 10 MPH? If you like to ride high and dry get the V. We have been out when the wind is up and you will get wet only when the wind is across. If you can head into or with (following) the wind you barely get sprayed. I have been on a couple skeeters and a Ranger and they ride nice and are faster than *%$&U# but I am ok with the Lund at 29MPH.

Also the 4 stroke Merc 50 is so quiet that when the wind is up we just use the main motor. Doesn't seem to mess with the fishn when it is windy.
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/08/08 02:03 AM

Don't get under a 70lb thrust trolling motor...and look at the longer shaft motors. It only takes a few times fishing in rollers to wish you had one. thumb

Deep V is a great choice if you don't want a Center Console. wink A couple of my friends who guide full time (for the fish you mention) who currently own deep V's wish they had center consoles... cheers
Posted By: Capt. Michael Littlejohn

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/08/08 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Flying Dutchman
I have the Tracker 185 Sport with a 150 OptiMax and love it! The wind does push you around a bit. But the trolling motor that came with it in the package deal was plenty I think it was a 60lb with a 60" shaft. I've been out in some pretty big waves on Benbrook and was watching bass boats take waves over the front and I never had an issue. Boat GPS's @ 52 mph with a full load of gear and 3 adults.

...that's a nice boat and great performance w/ the Opti 150.
Posted By: John Gone Fishin

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/08/08 04:31 AM

Hello
I have had several boats in my life. Boats from 19 foot run-a-bouts to flat bottom race boats that were the thing back in the 70's. All kinds of fishing boats. No question (for me) the best all around fishing boat is the 1810 center con that I bought two years ago. This is a Polar boat . No wood in it. It will never rott!! It has sides on it that are knee deep. Tons of storage. Will float in a bath tub. It is rigged with a 115 two stroke Yamaha. Not the fastest thing on the water but I am 55 years old now and 40 to 45 mph is pleanty fast enough for me. I have not caught many fish at 70+mph. For me, this is the best boat I ever hooked a truck to.I love it.!!! (Deep V.).... I am talking this Polar has one heck of a DEEP V. It breaks the waves great. The bow is much wider that the the stern. Bow hits the waves and pushes the water away from you real nice. Good dry ride. Buy what you want , if I were you I would sure look into a heavy, yes, heavy DEEP V hull. If the boat is real light it won't break the waves like it should.
Good Luck.
John

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/09/08 05:48 PM

For those that are interested, I settled on and purchased a boat today.

I got the Alumacraft 165 Classic CS (deep v). Black with grey interior. 50hp Yamaha, 55lb trolling motor, a nice bimini top for the kids in the Summer.

I also added a Lowrance 522c Color GPS plotter/finder. I kept the Lowrance x50 and moved it to the bow by the trolling motor.

I drove the boat today out on Lake Worth before buying, it ran great. With two of us (about 200lbs each) we were doing 30mph into the wind. I think it will be a good fit for me and the kids.

Thanks everybody for their help!

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/09/08 07:49 PM

Awesome. Congratulations! You'll love that boat and most importantly the quality time with your family.

Please keep us posted on the personality of your boat, like/dislikes, handling qualities, etc., as you discover them. I'd love to hear what you think of the Classic 165 after a few more sea trials. thumb

And don't forget, we want pictures!

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/15/08 12:37 AM

Okay Darren, you're twisting my arm... I'll showoff my new boat in a picture. But you all have to see both what I had first and traded in. That thing was a beauty. 1976 fiberglass tri-hull. No interior, lots of rust, leaky.

Here ya go, a pic of the old and the new (the new with the bimini top pulled up):

Posted By: Uncle Zeek

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/15/08 04:21 AM

Looks nice - you ought to have many fun days with it. Just don't go out on 30+mph wind days breakdance

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/15/08 09:09 AM

Congrats on the new ride. I'm sure you will enjoy it. I continue to be amazed at the ride in a Deep-V.

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/15/08 12:55 PM

Sweet ride bannana2. I'd say you made a good trade thumb. I don't think you'll regret going with a Deep-V.
Posted By: fishNfanatic

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/15/08 04:33 PM

Sweet lookin rig Rooster! thumb

Is it a '07 or '08? Also, which dealer did you use and were you happy with your experience?

Enjoy!
Posted By: THE_COACH

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/15/08 05:16 PM

Get this one - it is perfect for what you are saying

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2263989#Post2263989

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/16/08 02:15 AM

Rooster, sweet indeed. Thanks for the pics. The black hull is especially nice. Your new boat ought to last you many years. See you out on the water. smile
Posted By: Michial Thompson

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/16/08 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: bamaboy
Originally Posted By: redfinŽ

Ditto,
I've got a 56lb w/my 18ft cc and its underpowered. I wish I had gone with something bigger. Around 65-80lb.

I have a 19' CC weight 3500 pounds, and my 80# TM is borderline. There's been times I wished I had just a bit more power... 90% I do fine, but the drift sock comes out in winds over about 18-20mph.

Re: Help! Should I get a Bassboat or Deep V? - 05/16/08 11:30 AM

It's a 2008. I bought it at Eagle Marine from Ken. I had a good experience there, Ken was knowledgeable and there was zero pressure for the sale. The riggers were great and got all my accessories added quickly, and delivered the boat to my home lake (Joe Pool) so I didn't have to go back to West Fort Worth. They've got a ton of boats over there, I was really surprised at how many. They had at least three like mine in black/blue/red (now blue and red, somebody got the black one wink )
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum