Texas Fishing Forum

Birds Working?

Posted By: Billy Jack

Birds Working? - 04/19/08 04:23 AM

I have a question that has been bugging me for a while. Why do some lakes seem to have a lot of gulls that work the bait brought up by schooling fish, while other lakes that appear very similar not seem to have hardly any birds that work the bait. Last week I was at Lake Buchanan chasing the birds to find the sandies. This week I was catching sandies at lake Medina and never saw a group of birds. The 2 lakes are similar in size, etc., and not that far from one another. There has to be a logical reason and not just happenstance. Anyone know?
Posted By: Kat-man-do

Re: Birds Working? - 04/19/08 05:14 AM

Possibly the amount of bait on the lake, and the average number of times the bait is brought to the surface by large schools of whites and stripers. Medina may not have that same level of activity.
Posted By: "Da" NITRO

Re: Birds Working? - 04/19/08 08:19 AM

As far as time goes, a week can make a huge difference, in regards to fishing and how the fish react. With those lakes being as close as they are, the fish probably react the same way, but on the same day. If you fished LB on say, Wed, and then fished Medina the next Wed, you have to look at the weather pattern for the week between the two trips. Did fronts come thru, were the winds real high for a few days, was there a significant amount of rain, was the water clear or stained? This along with a few other things will have an impact on the fish. If you really want to know, find someone that is fishing LB on the same day that you fish Medina, or vice versa, and then talk with one another afterwards. Or find a report on TFF for the lake you didn't fish and compare it against the lake you fished thumb
Posted By: Parker

Re: Birds Working? - 04/19/08 12:19 PM

if seagulls could talk i'd ask one,but i doubt if he'd tell the truth. grin
Posted By: BAMAboy

Re: Birds Working? - 04/19/08 12:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Parker
if seagulls could talk i'd ask one,but i doubt if he'd tell the truth. grin

Lying birds! I've caught them in lies before!!! realmad
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum