Texas Fishing Forum

White bass filets

Posted By: skeeterguy

White bass filets - 02/28/24 02:20 AM

Does anyone feel it necessary to remove bloodlines from white bass filets? I know it’s usually recommended when filleting stripers. My inquiring mind gots to know!!
Posted By: Slick Rick ‘06

Re: White bass filets - 02/28/24 02:56 AM

I've done it both ways, and I like them all the same. If I'm cooking for guests, I take the little extra time to remove the blood line. It's one more step, but I do it for my family and guests.
Posted By: Fishbonz

Re: White bass filets - 02/28/24 03:02 AM

Fish with heavy fishy taste try bleeding them out (cutting one of the gills)while still on the lake before putting them on ice. coolio
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: White bass filets - 02/28/24 12:50 PM

My wife won't eat the fish unless I take the blood line out.
Posted By: mwfishin

Re: White bass filets - 02/28/24 01:24 PM

No red on my sand bass fillets. I remove all bloodlines and red on skin side. Great eating.
Posted By: gborg

Re: White bass filets - 02/28/24 02:21 PM

Removing the red meat is a must on all the Pelagic fish. Vacuum pac or freeze with sea salt also a must for us. The red meat will not accept any seasoning !
Posted By: Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Re: White bass filets - 02/29/24 11:48 PM

There’s only one way to cook sandbass. Put it on a cedar plank, season with salt and pepper. When the fish is done throw the it out and eat the plank. Remove the red meat, don’t remove the red meat, soak them, don’t soak them. Truth be told it doesn’t matter because no amount of seasoning or trimming bloodlines can make those nasty things edible.

Re: White bass filets - 03/01/24 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher
There’s only one way to cook sandbass. Put it on a cedar plank, season with salt and pepper. When the fish is done throw the it out and eat the plank. Remove the red meat, don’t remove the red meat, soak them, don’t soak them. Truth be told it doesn’t matter because no amount of seasoning or trimming bloodlines can make those nasty things edible.

Nice to have a choice ! Those that readily consume the Pelagic fish are grateful and prolly happy that you do not . Thanks for letting us know your hear felt ideas about cooking sand bass filets. It has not changed over the years !
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: White bass filets - 03/01/24 02:12 PM

If you cook the filets on the half shell the red meat will turn grey and the white meat will pull away easily with a fork...its one delicious way to eat white bass.
Posted By: uncle_bagster

Re: White bass filets - 03/01/24 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mckinneycrappiecatcher

Funny how some people like to eat sand bass, while others would just as soon chow down on a mess of shad. I'm like you. I don't like the flavor, plus the meat always seems tough, no matter who's operating the skillet.
Posted By: 1 link stringer

Re: White bass filets - 03/02/24 12:19 AM

To be Honest with you guys , the cedar plank does not taste that bad !
Posted By: Whistlebritches

Re: White bass filets - 03/02/24 03:38 AM

I like white bass,love hybrid and striper, but all with the blood line and red meat removed.Are those nice thick filets better than crappie.............in my opinion yes.Only walleye filets are more prized in the Whistle house
Posted By: prosise

Re: White bass filets - 03/02/24 02:23 PM

In my opinion, not with the whites.. Not that much of a blood line, nothing like a striper. If you bake the meat, it will peal off, but I can't tell the difference. My son is a super picky person, and it's hard to feed the boy sometimes. However, he will eat white bass like a coyote when I cook it with lemon/cream sauce. I will link the recipe, it is pure poison.

https://www.recipetineats.com/baked-fish-with-lemon-cream-sauce/

[Linked Image]
Posted By: xpress x21

Re: White bass filets - 03/02/24 03:20 PM

Wow! That looks amazing!

Re: White bass filets - 03/02/24 05:05 PM

Gonna give that recipe a work out. THX
Posted By: bluesman

Re: White bass filets - 03/02/24 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by prosise
In my opinion, not with the whites.. Not that much of a blood line, nothing like a striper. If you bake the meat, it will peal off, but I can't tell the difference. My son is a super picky person, and it's hard to feed the boy sometimes. However, he will eat white bass like a coyote when I cook it with lemon/cream sauce. I will link the recipe, it is pure poison.

https://www.recipetineats.com/baked-fish-with-lemon-cream-sauce/

[Linked Image]

Use a chicken piccata recipe and substitute fish for the chicken. Very close to your lemon recipe. I use the piccata recipe base for all types of meat. Also, make extra sauce and put it over a bed of linguini cooked in garlic water.
Posted By: jkb1314

Re: White bass filets - 03/04/24 05:11 AM

If you have a real sharp fillet knife it's easy to simply tilt the blade slight and leave all of that darker flesh behind on the skin. Just a thin vein and that's all.
JKB
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum