Texas Fishing Forum

Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023

Posted By: Dennis Christian

Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/26/23 04:51 AM

3/25/2023: Friends Larry (lenahorse) and Graham fished with me today from 9 AM to 12 noon, then Graham had to leave, and larry and I fished on until 4:15 PM. We caught about 30 in the morning and 70 more in the afternoon: 93 sandies, 4 short hybrids, a yellow bass, a crappie, and a very fat 22 1/2 inch hybrid. We used silver and pink/white bladed Mepps #4 spinners. Larry caught the big hybrid on the pink/white Mepps. We never found a huge school of fish - just a series of small groups on several different structures. Most of the fish were caught in about 20 fow fishing straight down on the bottom. We caught a few casting and retrieving including the big hybrid. Here's Larry with his big hybrid:
[Linked Image]
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/26/23 02:36 PM

Nice post and fish. Good job as always. thumb
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/27/23 01:11 PM

A friend texted me Saturday that he wanted to black bass fish on Sunday. I told him I would pick him up at his dock at noon. We fished for a little over an hour and then we switched to sandbass. With the weekend boat traffic and some wind yesterday, there was some chop on the water. That's when I found out he was hungover and wasn't feeling well. After 30 minutes, I took him back to his dock, dropped him off and headed back out. I saw some fish in 21 - 23 FOW on Long Ridge east but they didn't seem all that interested in my Mepps. I then went to Long Ridge west and found some good schools of fish roaming in 23 FOW. They didn't seem interested in the horizontal presentation but were very receptive to the vertical presentation. I used what Bob Maindelle calls slow smoking tactic but I used a Mepps #4. The schools would come in waves and the timing was very predictable. I didn't get any hits on the fall. They hit aggressive when I was cranking straight up off the bottom. I caught 16 pretty quick and then I came in so I could finish watching the Dell Match Play tournament.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/27/23 10:40 PM

What is his slow-smoking tactic?

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/27/23 11:00 PM

3/27/2023: I took TFFer Ron (Airborne82) out this morning at 8:30, and we stopped at 2 PM still catching fish. We caught 154 - all white bass. The main objective was to teach Ron how to catch them with a Mepps #4 spinner. He copied my technique right off and started catching fish. By the time we stopped, he had the technique down. We caught fish at Saint Annes West, Saint Annes Drop-off, Crappie Island Flats, Pole Dance Point, and Long Ridge. We found the most fish at Crappie Island Flats in 20 fow where we stopped because there were numerous gulls and loons sitting in the water. No fish hitting the surface but plenty on side-scan. Also, plenty of fish at Pole Dance Point showing up well on side-scan in 12 to 18 fow. Likewise, we found a good school on side-scan at Long Ridge in 24 fow. We caught them steadily there until we hit our target number of 153 then came in. Ron used silver-bladed Mepps, and I used both silver and white/pink-bladed Mepps. Most fish were caught vertically jigging and lifting the Mepps on the bottom.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is my sonar zoomed down. Not the best example. But the bumps on the bottom were fish. Most of the time they were all the way across the screen at Long Ridge.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Slick Rick ‘06

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/28/23 02:34 AM

From Bob’s post in the Trading Post section. https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/14672064/1

Slow-Smoking - Water temperatures 55-62F: When fish are very aggressive (potentially chasing bait all the way to the surface) and are seen throughout the entire water column on sonar, drop the slab to bottom and crank it at least half way up through the water column at a moderate, steady cadence, about 1 handle turn per second. When you feel a bite, resist the urge to set the hook and just keep reeling. The fish will hook themselves. If you are using LiveScope and you see a fish chasing your bait, it is CRUCIAL that you keep right on reeling until the fish overtakes the lure and hooks itself. Do not speed up, slow down, hesitate, stop, or in any other way change the cadence of your retrieve while you are being chased.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/28/23 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Slick Rick ‘06
From Bob’s post in the Trading Post section. https://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/14672064/1

Slow-Smoking - Water temperatures 55-62F: When fish are very aggressive (potentially chasing bait all the way to the surface) and are seen throughout the entire water column on sonar, drop the slab to bottom and crank it at least half way up through the water column at a moderate, steady cadence, about 1 handle turn per second. When you feel a bite, resist the urge to set the hook and just keep reeling. The fish will hook themselves. If you are using LiveScope and you see a fish chasing your bait, it is CRUCIAL that you keep right on reeling until the fish overtakes the lure and hooks itself. Do not speed up, slow down, hesitate, stop, or in any other way change the cadence of your retrieve while you are being chased.

That's a good description. The rate of retrieve will vary slightly depending upon the equipment you are using and the mood of the fish. The only difference was that I was using a #4 silver Mepps Aglia. I'll try to get some screen shots posted later today on what my electronics were showing.
Posted By: reelswift

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/28/23 01:42 PM

thumb
Posted By: geeseranger

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/28/23 06:06 PM

I have watched/read on your Mepps technique, but have not seen anything on your vertical presentation.. is the method similar, let it hit the bottom, real 5-6 turns, and let it sink back down? I just recently moved to Cedar Creek and have been out fishing about 5 times with not much luck. I am new to hybrid/sand bass fishing, especially on this lake so any advice is appreciated. Love reading your posts and hope to being catching half as many as you soon.
Posted By: beltonbill

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/28/23 06:49 PM

Geeseranger; welcome to the forum. You should see the fish on your electronics. Raise your spinner at a slow steady pace until you have reached a depth above the fish. It is important to use a tool that attracts the fish to your boat like a thumper or a splasher. The technique works best when you pull your lure through 10 or more feet of fish that have stacked up under your boat. Check on U-tube for videos on how to use these tools. It may sound strange to use noise to attract the fish but it is a game changer for improving your catch rate.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/28/23 07:02 PM

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The first pic is from my Humminbird on the console. The other 2 pics are from my bow mounted Garmin. The Garmin shows what the schools looked like as they passed by. There were some larger schools but I didn't have my phone beside me to get a picture.

I would let the Mepps fall to the bottom and then crank it straight up about 6 time with just enough speed to get the blade spinning. If I didn't get bit, I would just let it fall back to the bottom and repeat the process.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/28/23 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by geeseranger
I have watched/read on your Mepps technique, but have not seen anything on your vertical presentation.. is the method similar, let it hit the bottom, real 5-6 turns, and let it sink back down? I just recently moved to Cedar Creek and have been out fishing about 5 times with not much luck. I am new to hybrid/sand bass fishing, especially on this lake so any advice is appreciated. Love reading your posts and hope to being catching half as many as you soon.

Welcome. Where are you on the lake? If we can coordinate it, I'm sure we can get together and fish. I'm sure others would do the same.
Posted By: geeseranger

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/28/23 07:32 PM

I am in the Gun Barrel area off one of the coves. I would love to get together and go fishing. I have a-lot to learn it seems...

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/28/23 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by geeseranger
I am in the Gun Barrel area off one of the coves. I would love to get together and go fishing. I have a-lot to learn it seems...

I'll shoot you a PM with more questions.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/28/23 10:12 PM

geeseranger: My verticle technique for cold water (winter-early spring) fishing is different from warm water (late spring-fall) fishing. For warm water, I locate fish on structure down on the bottom in 20 to 28 fow and park the boat directly over them. Drop the #4 Mepps down to the bottom, point the rod toward the line, and crank the Mepps up 6 to 8 cranks of the reel. Start at medium speed and adjust to the speed that works best - gets the most strikes. That speed can vary day to day. For cold water, the fish are finicky and will not chase the bait very far. So, what works best is drop the Mepps #4 to the bottom, leave a slight bit of slack in the line, jig the Mepps with the rod tip 2 to 4 times sharply but only move the rod tip about 6 to 8 inches, then immediately lift the rod up about 3 to 4 feet just fast enough to make the Mepps spin. Or move the Mepps sideways with the rod tip 3 to 6 feet. Keep repeating until you feel the bite, which can be very light - then set the hook. I keep my eye on the sonar screen so I know there is fish under me. Making a little noise definitely helps bring and keep fish under the boat. I use my foot mostly to tap the boat floor. I don't have a splasher, but friends do and they work well. Sitting still as I do, I am not having much success with the thumper. I don't use it except in 27+ for or if I am trolling or drifting. I have taken a lot of folks out and demonstrated the Mepps technique and would be happy to take you out as well. PM me and we'll try to set up a date.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/30/23 03:25 AM

3/29/2023: After the rain, it turned out to be a nice day, so Graham and I went out from 1:30 to 5 PM. We found fish at Long Ridge West, 3-Jug Hump, Merimac Point, Spillway Hump, and Kevin's Point. Most of the fish were big sandies 13 to 15 inches. It was a scouting run where we would catch 10 to 20 and then leave biting fish to go check another spot. Even so, we ended up with 137 fish. I caught most on a silver #4 Mepps. Graham used a silver slab in addition to a silver Mepps. The best depth was around 20 fow. The water temp is up to 64 degrees F.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 03/30/23 01:10 PM

thumb

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/01/23 09:40 PM

4/1/2023: Took geeseranger (Reese) and his friend Jonathan out for a morning run. We had difficulty finding fish, but eventually caught some south of Crappie Island and at Saint Annes Point West. We ended up with 50: 45 whites, 3 short hybrids, a black bass, and a yellow bass. Reese and Jonathan caught on to the verticle Mepps technique right away. We didn't have much opportunity to cast out and work back to the boat. Here's a couple of pictures:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/02/23 10:21 AM

thumb

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/14/23 03:46 AM

4/13/2023: Cliffshot, friend Gordon, and I fished Cedar Creek Lake today from 10 AM til 3 PM and ended up with 194: 180 white bass, 6 short hybrids, 5 yellow bass, and 3 cats. The best spots were Long Ridge West in 21 fow and Spillway Hump in 23 fow, We also caught fish at Dam Ridge and 3-Jug Hump - also in 20 to 23 fow. Most fish were caught fishing straight down on the bottom jigging then lifting or cranking up a #4 Mepps spinner. We got a picture of the sonar when over fish.

[Linked Image]

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/18/23 01:51 AM

4/17/2023: Pastor friend David and his youth and music ministers went out with me on CC today. We found plenty of fish on the bottom in 20 fow under working birds. How they know the fish are down there befuddles me. Anyway, we caught 168 mostly big white bass, 5 legal hybrids, 7 short hybrids and 6 yellow bass for a total of 186 fish. Much of the time we could see them to the side on side-scan, and we would cast to them and work the Mepps 4 back along the bottom. And, much of the time we could see them down under us, and we would jig then raise the Mepps up from the bottom to catch them. It was a perfect, calm and sunny fishing day! We fished from 10 AM to 2 PM. Here are some pictures:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/18/23 06:47 PM

Nice trip Dennis👍
Posted By: 4x4

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/20/23 01:49 PM

Good Times DC ,

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/20/23 07:35 PM

thumb
Posted By: justchillin

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/23/23 04:28 PM

Thanks for all the reports Dennis. A friend and I went to sunken island yesterday and caught about 75 total. We kept our 2 person limit of white bass for each of our families to have a decent fish fry. We were fishing on top of the island in 5ft. of water for almost the entire time. All but about 5 fish or so came from that depth. Tried a little deeper after the bite shallow slowed down a couple of hours after sun up, but did not have much luck. The bite was slow until the sun came up, and it really picked up after that. Lots of shad hitting the surface, but no schooling fish. We were catching fish just about every cast / every other cast for quite a while. We caught 1 small hybrid and lots of yellow bass also. All were caught on a #4 silver Mepps, casting and reeling horizontally back to the boat. I was using the red and yellow bodied Mepps, and my friend was using the chartreuse bodied Mepps. Both colors produced about the same amount of fish. About 85% of the fish cleaned still had eggs.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/24/23 02:33 AM

Thanks for the report. Interesting that fish were in 5 fow.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/24/23 03:52 AM

thumb
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/24/23 04:42 PM

Justchillin,

You guys were putting on a clinic! I was on the black tritoon around you. Tried not to crowd you too much - stay out of your casting range, but I could not get the deeper fish to hit much. Also did not have but a couple of mepps with me. I had a couple of friends that wanted to catch some early, and I grabbed the wrong tackle bag before leaving the dock. They were hitting silver slabs, but not as good as your mepps were doing! Again, sorry if we got too close.

Mr. Dennis,

I marked fish in 22' around the island, but they were not biting very well. As JustChillin said, he was right up on top the island, and catching all around his boat. We moved up shallow close to him, and caught a fair number of fish also. Some nice sized whites, and several smaller yellow. Just casting and using a steady medium speed retrieve. I tried several different things with the slabs, but slabs and spinners - they liked the steady retrieve a couple feet off the bottom. We were turning everything lose, as we had filled the cooler on Friday.

Also - nothing hitting on the surface. Just sitting shallow - until about 10 am or so.

Fun morning with nice weather.

Ken
Posted By: justchillin

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/24/23 07:39 PM

KEGracing, you guys never got close enough to bother us. Thanks for the respect though. Next time come on over and catch some fish too. You never know, it might be the other way around the next time. Now that I know which boat you are, I will say hi next time. If you ever grab the wrong bag again, and I am there, let me know. I have plenty of Mepps. Glad you guys caught a few fish though.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/24/23 09:43 PM

KCGracing: Thanks for your report. Same with me as Justchillin said - just ease up and ask if its OK to fish the same spot. It always is with me.
Posted By: Sabot42

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/26/23 04:44 AM

One of my best memories with my dad was catching stripe bass and hybrids on cedar creek. He died at 56. Miss you dad.
Posted By: rebait

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/26/23 11:40 AM

Way to early to lose a Father. I just turned 60 and my Dad is 94 and going strong; however, he could care less about going fishing. Never was much of a fisherman but man can he work. Still mows grass at several places I think he doesn't want to sit down long enough to fish. Dads are the best when we got old enough to appreciate them.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/26/23 01:55 PM

Sabot42, I'm sorry about losing your dad at 56. I can relate, I lost mine at 60, and he is the best man I have ever known. I was so blessed to have had him as my dad - a loving, caring, responsible husband, father, and strong Christian. I did get to enjoy many wonderful days fishing farm ponds with him growing up and fishing on the lakes together as adults. Miss you too, Dad!!!

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/27/23 01:30 PM

Well, my boat is having problems so I'm not fishing much and making reports. I LOVE fishing, but there is something more important than fishing - family. I love my family dearly, yet there is something more important for me, and for each of us, than family. It is being forgiven of our sins and reconciled with our Creator. When that happens, we have a more abundant life here on earth in the more important things, have peace with God, and have hope and assurance that when we leave this world we will go to heaven. If you have not done this and want to, I have explained what the Bible says that God requires in my website www.findpeacewithgod.com and in my sermon on John 3:16 - the most famous scripture of the Bible. I have included links to both in my signature block. If you have already trusted in God's provision and found peace with Him, I ask you to read the website and listen to the sermon and echo my encouragement to all who have not done so to use these resources to help them find forgiveness or sin and peace with God. I thank you in advance. Dennis

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."
Posted By: JohnGarcia

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/27/23 08:39 PM

Amen
Posted By: KEGracing

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/28/23 12:39 PM

Mr. Dennis,

Our world needs more people like you, and we need more of God - and living by his rules, in our lives. I have been on this forum for a long time now, more active some times than others, but have witnessed your willingness to help any and all, for years. Thank you!

I worry for our kids and their kids... the world today is just not working right. They continue to try and take God out of the schools and out of our everyday life. But what they are replacing it with is obviously not working. So many of our paid politicians have forgotten - or never understood - that this nation was build "under God".

Hope you are back on the water soon. I cant fish this weekend - family commitments, but I will check back with you. Would love to have you on my boat anytime!

Ken
Posted By: rebait

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/28/23 02:14 PM

I was going to start a rant but then I realized I would be preaching to the choir. Lots of good young people coming up out there, unfortunately there are more bad ones to skew the outcome for this country. Sad to say the blame can fall no further than the parents of these lost souls. Thank you Dennis for your witness and testimony. I pray we can get more people back on track in this country before it is too late.
Brad
P.S. I have never fished or even seen Cedar Creek but I follow this thread due to Dennis's willingness to help others.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/28/23 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Christian
Well, my boat is having problems so I'm not fishing much and making reports. I LOVE fishing, but there is something more important than fishing - family. I love my family dearly, yet there is something more important for me, and for each of us, than family. It is being forgiven of our sins and reconciled with our Creator. When that happens, we have a more abundant life here on earth in the more important things, have peace with God, and have hope and assurance that when we leave this world we will go to heaven. If you have not done this and want to, I have explained what the Bible says that God requires in my website www.findpeacewithgod.com and in my sermon on John 3:16 - the most famous scripture of the Bible. I have included links to both in my signature block. If you have already trusted in God's provision and found peace with Him, I ask you to read the website and listen to the sermon and echo my encouragement to all who have not done so to use these resources to help them find forgiveness or sin and peace with God. I thank you in advance. Dennis

John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."

Amen, Brother! angel2

Side Note: I am only a sinner, saved by the blood of Jesus Christ! angel2
Posted By: Lovfldx

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 04/29/23 04:46 PM

Hi Dennis!! Been a minute!!! Last visual memory I have of you at CC was you dragging a huge catfish near a dock where Billy Seaman was cleaning our white bass haul! CC is one of the best crappie lakes on the map and dock shooting there is on another level. Hope your boat gets fixed soon

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 05/27/23 10:20 PM

5/27/2023: Memorial weekend company has arrived, and we had our 1st fishing trip this morning from 8:30 AM til noon. It was my daughter-in-law Penney and her neighbor Micah who went out with me. It was a relatively slow day numbers-wise compared to recent trips with 56 fish caught. However, I caught the most and biggest hybrids in at least a year. We caught 9 hybrids, 5 were legal with the largest a 24.5-inch fish., and 4 short hybrids. Unfortunately, neither of my guests caught one of the legals, but Penney netted the 24.5-inch one for me. Four of the legals were caught at Dam Ridge in 32 fow three on a green Boblade and one on my modified Mepps. The 5th was caught at Long Ridge West on a regular #4 Mepps. Here are some pics:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 05/27/23 11:48 PM

Keep on keeping on. Awesome thread. thumb
Posted By: 4x4

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 05/29/23 02:48 PM

Always great to take the family out fishing Dennis ,the BO- BLADE has has made a difference in my catching fish, Mark Bovee makes a great bait . Enjoy your holiday weekend and family . God Bless our troops past and present !
Posted By: Double D Blue Wave

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 06/12/23 05:36 PM

Today I fished early morning for a change. Light east wind after a squall line passed before dawn. Found nothing happening down the west side from the spillway to Merimac and Deer Island, and then we found the SB surfacing on south side of Crappie Island. About 10 acres of surfacing fish (!!!) and not a boat to be found anywhere near us. The fish were a bit finicky, not hitting tailhummers or swim baits, and we finally got them blowing up every cast on an old sputtery clear topwater lure I call a Topfan. Similar to a Heddon Torpedo or Spittin Image with two propellors. Also got some legal hybrids casting and bouncing a silver Sidewinder spoon. This was the biggest concentration of topwater schooling SB/hybrids on CC I’ve seen in years.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 06/12/23 06:25 PM

Thanks for sharing. What time of the day were they surfacing?
Posted By: Double D Blue Wave

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 06/13/23 01:00 PM

Dennis, we got there about at sunrise and the surfacing lasted about an hour. I figure we missed the first 15 minutes or so before sunrise.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 06/13/23 02:37 PM

Thanks. I went out yesterday from 3 to 5:30 PM to test the fishing. I stopped at Long Ridge and saw fish on sonar but not on sidescan (fish were hugging the bottom) at Long Ridge on the east edge of the center. Caught fish there and worked my way eastward to the east end of Long Ridge in 27 fow. Caught fish there until I quit. I was tapping my foot on the bottom or using the Bobo thumper. That kept fish under me. I ended up with 50 whites, 5 legal hybrids about 20 inches, 3 short hybrids, a cat, and a yellow bass. I compared the green BoBlade, a Mepps longcast with yellow body, and a regular Mepps. I tried the Longcast the longest trying to learn how to optimize the presentation. I would get a bite about every third crank up from the bottom. It was less often with the BoBlade, and with the regular Mepps #4 it was every one or two cranks up. Even though it takes the regular Mepps longer to drop to the bottom, I could catch more fish per unit of time than the other two lures. Here is a pic of a 20 inch hybrid caught on the Mepps longcast:

[Linked Image]

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 06/13/23 02:51 PM

Good job Dennis. I have not heard of Mepps longcast. Is this similar to the MAL?
Posted By: mwfishin

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 06/13/23 03:04 PM

Them hybrids are some hard fighting fish. Really fun to catch.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 06/13/23 06:41 PM

Mepps came out with longcast 10 to 12 years ago. I found them not as quick to start spinning on casting out and working back sawtooth along the bottom. The MAL is a slightly modified longcast. I am now evaluating them again for verticle fishing. Their advantage is that they sink faster and are easier for some people to cast.

Re: Cedar Creek Lake Reports for Spring 2023 - 06/13/23 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Dennis Christian
Mepps came out with longcast 10 to 12 years ago. I found them not as quick to start spinning on casting out and working back sawtooth along the bottom. The MAL is a slightly modified longcast. I am now evaluating them again for verticle fishing. Their advantage is that they sink faster and are easier for some people to cast.

That is very true. I've been using the MAL for just over 1 month now and really like how easy they are to cast into the wind and their sink rate. With the MAL I'm now using a Shimano Curado with a 7.4 to 1 ratio which can really get the spinner started fast.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum