Texas Fishing Forum

Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex Friday 1/20

Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex Friday 1/20 - 01/14/23 12:16 PM

I am not a superstitious person and pretty good at accepting things the way they are. But i do noticed I had many "lucky" days on my Fridays the 13th. smile

Well my latest Friday the 13th is another "lucky" one. Buddies Gene and Jeff joined me 1230 to 530pm. We attempted DS at several deep areas the first 4 hrs. Total 7 fish with only 3 box keepers. And about 20 misses and lots on no biters showing on the graphs.

Then came the 9th inning... birds went nuts just outside of HP. Super fast and furious actions that makes you forget the other innings. Lol. We boated 12 good fish, mostly over bruisers including two DD's drag peelers. Flukes, ARigs, sassy hookem' good. Lol.

Water temps 50 to 51f. Wind SW zero to 5 mph. Catching depth 10ft to 69 fow.

For me, the pattern right now is (due to the roller coaster temperatures) , "you just don't know unless you go". Lol.

THANK YOU birds! Good luck guys. grin

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PlanoPaul

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/14/23 01:10 PM

Great job! That is an absolute carbon copy of my day last Sunday! That lake has so many dang fish it in right now it is unbelievable.
Posted By: Scotty P

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/14/23 08:07 PM

Keep the streak alive Todd!!!
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/14/23 08:42 PM

Here is tonight’s dinner [Linked Image]
Posted By: Z71

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/14/23 09:13 PM

Wow! Great job! I’m going Monday so hopefully I can find a few. I usually do better in the summer but have problems on the winter finding and catching. Thanks for
The report.
Posted By: PlanoPaul

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/14/23 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by CHAMPION FISH
Here is tonight’s dinner [Linked Image]

You must eat ALOT food
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/15/23 01:01 AM

Solid post and fish. Good job. thumb

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/15/23 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by PlanoPaul
Great job! That is an absolute carbon copy of my day last Sunday! That lake has so many dang fish it in right now it is unbelievable.

We were on the opposite side of yall, the west side of TI point last Sunday. Lots of fish under us but mostly small.

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/15/23 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by PlanoPaul

You must eat ALOT food

It must be a very special occasion. Gene rarely keeps fish and he usually catches the most no matter what lake. wink

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/21/23 04:06 PM

Lenahorse Larry joined me noon to 6pm Friday 1/20. Total 16 fish with 4 overs up to 27", 4 dinks and the rest good boxes.

We started out hiding from the wind and structure fishing in 20ft ledges that drop to 50+. Didn't get a bite then gave DS a try at a new area, 60ft flat and caught 11 mostly on ARigs. Water temp at 51ft so lots of small fish follow but few biters. Then went back to structure and caught 2. Then the last 45 mins the birds show up and we caught 3 good fish and 3 came off after few seconds of joy. I could use more artic weather lol. Good luck guys!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: fishrdude

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/21/23 04:52 PM

Good report and pics. Can you dead stick with an A rig or were you trolling them?
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/21/23 05:39 PM

Whose A Rig do you use and how do you rig them?

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/21/23 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by fishrdude
Good report and pics. Can you dead stick with an A rig or were you trolling them?

Good question. I've been DSing ARig since 2018 with good success.

The pros and cons:
Try to keep the total weight below 2 oz on normal wind day. Use 1 oz jig head at bottom and lighter 1/4 to 1/8 oz jigs on the 4 arms. I use 4 to 5" fluke on bottom and smaller flukes on the arms. If your ARig is 2 oz plus, it gets heavy on your wrist after a while and your set hook will have a bit of delay and you may miss the light pecks. If your ARig is too light then it's harder to target the depth. The 27" fish took my ARig arm with 1/8 oz jig and small fluke yesterday.

Also if the fish below are mostly 3 lber plus, flukes and ARigs work just as well. If the fish are mixed bag and mostly smaller with light pecks, ARigs may do better. My solo pink fluke caught 1 yesterday and my solo white ice fluke caught 3. The rest were ARigs. For bird action most of your fav lures will work.
Posted By: fishrdude

Re: Lucky Friday the 13th on BigTex - 01/21/23 06:10 PM

Good info. Thanks. Can't wait to try it! Now if they would just get my boat out of the shop!!!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum