Texas Fishing Forum

Can you get too big of a drift sock?

Posted By: TxShiner

Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/04/22 08:07 PM

I have a 20ft fiberglass center console and only ever had those yellow small ones from academy, but 2 at a time wasn’t enough last time I tried drifting. Looking at a 53” one online would that be sufficient ? Figured y’all would know best, thanks
Posted By: Easeup

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/04/22 08:11 PM

I guess it can get so big it is too hard to lift out of the water
Posted By: Herbeck's Lonestar Fishing

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/04/22 09:29 PM

I have a 22 foot boat and use 2 60 inch socks and slows me down to .5mph when winds are above 10-15 mph.
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/05/22 12:20 AM

This is a great topic. I want to get one to attach to the front of my boat to slow me down to drifting speed and not sure what to get.
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/05/22 01:05 AM

Well, one size won’t fit all. Until they make a reefable (and practical) drift sock, we’re stuck with mix and match. Different boat sizes, wind conditions and skipper’s speed needs, make giving advice difficult.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/05/22 01:25 PM

https://easterlinseaanchor.wixsite.com/website

I have one of these 12' socks, works well when winds are over 12mph. I use the Lindy magnum 5' sock other times, and sometimes two of them. 22' bay boat.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/05/22 01:31 PM

Good question. This was asked before. Mine are 85 in. wide and custom made from a guy in FL about 10 yrs ago. He sew in a noodle floater on the top half and attached lead/weight on the bottom half so that when you toss the sock out the weight sinks and the noodle floats so that the sock opens by itself.

My cc boat is 22ft. The advantage of larger socks, you can slow the boat on very windy condition. The disadvantage is its cumbersome to deploy and retrieve bc its bigger, wider and the 4 chute straps are longer. On a very windy day you might be "kite surfing" unintentionally LOL .

From CCL post above, 60 in diameter sounds ideal. If you can find someone that can custom sew what i described, It's ideal.
Posted By: gborg

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/05/22 02:12 PM

60 incher with weight sewn in on one side is optimal.Traveling or drifting with the wind is also optimal. The wind does not cooperate with desired route , the troller properly positioned is key and must be used to keep boat on track. Turn motor into wind as this also helps your drift control ! A sidewards drift works best for us, therefore needing a sock on each end with troller down for support. The sunny side of the boat out fishes the opposing side with lines from opposing side traveling under the boat is a definite curse ! Exceptions to all !
Posted By: CarolinaPartimer

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/05/22 06:39 PM

I've used the same three plastic tarps as drift socks for years, being frustrated with what's available commercially. Nylon rope tied at each corner, long enough to gather and tie to a ring in center when laid flat. Large snap swivel at the end of main rope allows for easy interchangeability between my small, medium, or large one, depending on wind conditions. I usually throw it out, and give it a tug with the boat to fully deploy.
Posted By: scubaarchery

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/06/22 02:08 AM

I use two. I look at what they recommend for my boat and just bought 2 since we get those windy days!
Posted By: ML56

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/06/22 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by CarolinaPartimer
I've used the same three plastic tarps as drift socks for years, being frustrated with what's available commercially. Nylon rope tied at each corner, long enough to gather and tie to a ring in center when laid flat. Large snap swivel at the end of main rope allows for easy interchangeability between my small, medium, or large one, depending on wind conditions. I usually throw it out, and give it a tug with the boat to fully deploy.

I do the same as Carolina Partimer, using a 10' x 10' plastic tarp with foam floats on 2 corners and 2 - 1 oz sinkers on bottom corners. I don't think I've ever gotten above .5 mph, even when winds blowing pretty strong. I also put carabiner clips on each corner, as I am a real pro at getting the ropes twisted up in knots. Simply undo each corner and untangle the ropes and reattach. When picking it up only grab one rope and pull in by one corner, it will collapse pretty easy. Trying to pull all ropes at once is almost impossible to lift, I also use a large swivel in line to avoid twists
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/06/22 03:34 AM

Where you put your drift socks out makes a difference also. 2 socks on the side verses 2 socks straight out the rear of the boat. The rear mounted socks your boat will drift slower and you can fish both sides of the boat.
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/06/22 04:42 AM

Yes you can. It all depends on what the fish want and how fast they want it. I have three. Large, medium and small. Use all three. Depending on wind speed and what fish want.
Posted By: CarolinaPartimer

Re: Can you get too big of a drift sock? - 12/06/22 02:45 PM

Good idea with the carabiner clips, ML56. I've spent too much time figuring out those rope-twist puzzles.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum