Texas Fishing Forum

side imaging protocol

Posted By: gborg

side imaging protocol - 08/18/22 06:06 PM

Suggestions are needed in order to upgrade from Lowrance HDS 8 gen 2. Eyes are not getting better and I feel current unit is antiquated !!
I haven't looked as the reality is from anglers .

Any and all recommendations are appreciated !
Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/18/22 06:58 PM

I’m really happy with the new Garmin stuff. Their side imaging is great. Their 2D is better than bird or lowrance in my opinion. I have a 126sv. Not to mention it’s livescope compatible. Here come the Garmin haters …
Posted By: prosise

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/18/22 09:11 PM

[Linked Image]

Look at the hour count as of tuesday.. I think I fished a little bit since last spring. Since I added the Livescope I do use the Garmin allot, but I still am a HB fan.

[Linked Image]

Stock settings when I first got the Helix in february of last year. You should see the results when you really learn the unit.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/18/22 11:10 PM

thumb
Posted By: butch sanders

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/18/22 11:47 PM

beautiful

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/19/22 11:30 AM

Excellent , Helix 12 . The unit appears to be user friendly , and the support is realistic.
Posted By: RoadRunnerTR21

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/19/22 12:34 PM

Helix is a great unit. I have used the 9, 12 and 15.
Posted By: SeaPro-Todd

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/19/22 02:57 PM

Greg, SI cuts my hunt time down big time for me and puts more fish in the boat cuz I can tell my guests where to cast. IMO Helix or Solix got the best SI right now. Mine is 3 yrs old and the price is still the same. That tells ya something. Our eyes are not getting any sharper so go big. Lol
Posted By: learnin to fish

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/19/22 07:24 PM

I have a Lowrance HDS live and love the active image and the maps etc. I am not impressed with the side image. Can I run two transducers side by side if I add a HB unit to my boat in addition to my Lowrance?

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/20/22 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by SeaPro-Todd
Greg, SI cuts my hunt time down big time for me and puts more fish in the boat cuz I can tell my guests where to cast. IMO Helix or Solix got the best SI right now. Mine is 3 yrs old and the price is still the same. That tells ya something. Our eyes are not getting any sharper so go big. Lol

Thanks Todd, my Lowrance has side imaging and downs scan however, no where the Dept and quality of the hummer . Would like to know difference between solid and helix.

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/20/22 02:34 PM

Solix is touch screen and helix is pressing buttons. IT for old dummies like me nuts
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/20/22 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by gborg

Thanks Todd, my Lowrance has side imaging and downs scan however, no where the Dept and quality of the hummer . Would like to know difference between solid and helix.

Quite a bit. Other than touch screen the solix has a more complex menu and more customizable acreens. Solix units are power hungry and can get a little moody with voltage drops.
Posted By: TCK73

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/21/22 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by 44 Diesel

Quite a bit. Other than touch screen the solix has a more complex menu and more customizable acreens. Solix units are power hungry and can get a little moody with voltage drops.

My Onix is power hungry as well. Im about to get a Garmin I think, I want to try out that Livescope.
Posted By: chrisc/striper express guide service

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/21/22 02:23 AM

Used only a flasher forever and scoffed at fancy units, Eight years ago got side imaging and now I regret not converting earlier side imaging is wonderful when you learn to really use it and read it it will become your favorite thing.
All units are great these days but I do like my solix.
Posted By: prosise

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/21/22 02:50 AM

Solix pulls twice the amperage as the helix. Helix is the shizzle, solix if you have unlimited battery

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/21/22 11:05 AM

My Solix 12 is 3.5 yrs old and hooked up to one crank battery. I usually fish 5 to 8 hrs trips. No problema with the ampage. For me, you can't go wrong with Helix or Mega.

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/21/22 11:52 AM

My Solix 12 is 3.5 yrs old and hooked up to one crank battery. I usually fish 5 to 8 hrs trips. No problema with the ampage. For me, you can't go wrong with Helix or Mega.

So what I hear ya'll saying about Solix. It needs a designated battery and a good one. Lithium style. I need settings, have had Glaucoma for 7 plus years , under control however fine detail is not possible.

The scan and zoom option on Helix and Solix are the bomb.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/21/22 04:23 PM

So what I hear ya'll saying about Solix. It needs a designated battery and a good one. Lithium style. I need settings, have had Glaucoma for 7 plus years , under control however fine detail is not possible.

The scan and zoom option on Helix and Solix are the bomb.

I've been running two solix 12's off my cranking battery which is group31 AGM. Running 10 ga wire direct to the cranking battery will solve a lot of power issues. A designated fuse panel for just graphs can also work well
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/21/22 05:42 PM

Learning to fish, I have both units on my boat and I have no interference problems at all.
Posted By: Holding The Line

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/22/22 01:17 PM

Suggestions are needed in order to upgrade from Lowrance HDS 8 gen 2. Eyes are not getting better and I feel current unit is antiquated !!
I haven't looked as the reality is from anglers .

Any and all recommendations are appreciated !

gborg, I have a pretty unique perspective on sonar equipment in that I have provided, literally, hundreds of anglers with on-the-water sonar training sessions. As a result, I have seen the pros and cons of most every make and model of sonar unit out there. I do not have any "strings attached" in the form of sponsorships, etc. with any of the sonar manufacturers, so, I feel I can give you an unbiased opinion.

My opinion is that when it comes to side-imaging, the best in the industry right now is found on Humminbird equipment. I rely on four Garmin units for LiveScope, an additional Garmin unit for mapping, 2D, and down-imaging, and on a Lowrance Carbon on my bow for 2D there. But, when it comes to side-imaging, I feel Humminbird has the best of the best.

No matter whose equipment you go with, get as large of a screen as you can afford. I personally run the Humminbird Solix 15 for side-imaging. If I had to make a choice, due to budget constraints, I would give up the convenience of a touch screen unit (Solix) for the extra screen size of a push-button unit (Helix).

I went out yesterday and captured the first three of the following images specifically for you so you could see the usefulness of the "zoom" magnifying feature. These images all come off a Humminbird Solix 15 SI+ G3. Despite being "Mega"-equipped, most of my deep-water work (including these screen shots) is all done with 455 mHz with CHIRP turned on.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: Note the small, loose collection of fish on bottom in the upper left corner of the screen. This was with range set to 140 feet and in a depth of 31 feet, hence, the fish were approximately 75 to 110 feet out to the port side.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: This shot shows those same fish, only magnified. This is accomplished by placing the cursor on "center of mass" of the target, then pressing the "+" button on the keypad ONE time.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: This shot shows those same fish, now magnified even more. This is accomplished by placing the cursor on "center of mass" of the target, then pressing the "+" button on the keypad TWO times. That "+" button can be pressed up to four times for even greater levels of magnification.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: This shot shows a school of white bass directly below the boat while I was on Spot-Lock. Note that even though down-imaging is a thin-beam technology, my client's MAL Lure can be seen rising and falling with fish chasing it both on the rise and on the fall. Of course, 2D sonar, with its broad, cone-shaped coverage would be a much better choice for this application.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: This show shows a school of white bass in the upper left of the screen. Note how they appear as bright, long streaks, then transition to individually discernable "rice grains". This transition occurred the instant I put the boat in gear after sitting atop the fish on Spot-Lock. When I was sitting still, the fish appeared as long streaks; when I began moving the boat, the imagery cleared up and began to show individual fish. Both DI and SI give the best imagery when you move the boat slow and straight, thus feeding a steady stream of raw data into your unit for processing.

[Linked Image]

CAPTION: This final shot shows exactly what I am typically searching for in the summer months -- nicely congregated fish holding on bottom.

I hope this helps, friend.

--Bob Maindelle

Re: side imaging protocol - 08/22/22 08:22 PM

Absolutely awesome and incredible . Thanks and kudos for the time to express your expertise to me and to all. Gonna pull the trigger on similar unit this week !
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum