Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Whitney

Posted By: shellj22

Lake Whitney - 04/26/22 08:08 PM

wondering when good top water striper bite kicks in? TIA
Posted By: floydster

Re: Lake Whitney - 04/26/22 08:12 PM

I am there now, just getting ready to go out, I mainly troll with my umbrellas using 4”-5” swim baits. I have heard some have been catching on top. Will find out shortly.
Posted By: 2cool4school

Re: Lake Whitney - 04/26/22 08:14 PM

It depends on whether the lake is connected to a river or not. If it's not you should be able to catch them all year round. However, if it is connected to a river the hybrid stripers usually run with the white bass through the creek systems to spawn, in that case, it would be over (the white bass run lasts from early March to early April). Stripers can't spawn because the water is not turbulent enough to hatch their eggs. Hopes this helps. cool

Re: Lake Whitney - 04/27/22 01:14 PM

bump
Posted By: captaincam3

Re: Lake Whitney - 04/27/22 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by 2cool4school
It depends on whether the lake is connected to a river or not. If it's not you should be able to catch them all year round. However, if it is connected to a river the hybrid stripers usually run with the white bass through the creek systems to spawn, in that case, it would be over (the white bass run lasts from early March to early April). Stripers can't spawn because the water is not turbulent enough to hatch their eggs. Hopes this helps. cool

That doesn't help the gentleman at all. Or anyone in the state of Texas, or in the world, Too Cool for school
Posted By: floydster

Re: Lake Whitney - 04/27/22 06:51 PM

Partially correct, hybrids don’t spawn. Stripers do spawn on some lakes. Texoma for one, maybe possium kingdom, and I believe whitney has a limited amount of spawn, just my opinion. Whitney some stripers go 10-12 miles up river during spawn.

Re: Lake Whitney - 04/29/22 03:12 PM

I was there wednesday afternoon, did not see any birds working main body of lake; cat bite in shallow water is great though
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Lake Whitney - 04/29/22 04:35 PM

I think it was last week when Barry was there filming.
So I'd say go now.
Posted By: TGalyon1

Re: Lake Whitney - 05/06/22 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by 2cool4school

Some one needs to tell all those striper on Texoma that.
Posted By: Bob Browne

Re: Lake Whitney - 05/06/22 03:51 PM

https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/action/stock_bywater.php?WB_code=0783
According to stocking records, Lake Whitney has never been stocked with hybrid stripers. Plenty of striper stockings. Hybrid striped bass generally cannot naturally reproduce, so their numbers depend on the number of fish stocked. In the spring, hybrids may undergo spawning migrations to upstream areas into reservoirs in an attempt to spawn despite being sterile. The average lifespan is between five to six years.
Posted By: redace1

Re: Lake Whitney - 05/07/22 06:29 AM

People fishing is called that and not catching for a reason...
Go check it out and have fun doing so...
That is what it is all about..
Rant now over, please continue,,,,...
laugh laugh
Posted By: Berretta

Re: Lake Whitney - 05/12/22 01:49 AM

we were out there the 24th in the morning and caught them on topwater from about 7am til 9am by the state park. every cast for almost 2 hours.

Re: Lake Whitney - 05/17/22 07:54 PM

Went again to whitney last thursday, saw a few birds flying but not hitting the water; still no top water; it was around 2 pm when I was crusing;
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum