Texas Fishing Forum

Stripers at PK really grew over the winter

Posted By: PKfishin

Stripers at PK really grew over the winter - 04/14/22 03:57 AM

Got two nice ones and a big Hybrid while crappie fishing this week. All of them including the Hybrid were full of eggs and all caught down by the dam in Neely Slough. Last year, most stripers I caught with a rare exception were in the 18-20 inch range. The stripers I caught this week were both over 25" and were a hoot to catch on a crappie pole. All caught on Shiners. The stripers were very thick and I could see shad schools under the dock I was fishing. I thought it odd these striper took those shiners.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
]
Posted By: mwfishin

Re: Stripers at PK really grew over the winter - 04/14/22 08:47 AM

Nice catch Mike. Bet it was a challenge on crappie tackle.

Re: Stripers at PK really grew over the winter - 04/14/22 03:12 PM

I use a 10 foot pro angler rod. I have 12 lb test mono tied to a barrel swivel with a leader of 10 lb test fluorocarbon line. I see my little no. 4 Gamakatsu hook as the week point. Lost one striper with the hook coming out.

When I first hook one of these stripers they run hard, so I know what I have. Nothing makes a run like a striper. It bends the rod double and I just wait until that stops then pump him back to the boat. If they run, I let them run. If I am close to dock cables this almost always ends poorly. I was too far from the cables this week for that to help these guys.
Posted By: Holzer

Re: Stripers at PK really grew over the winter - 04/14/22 03:16 PM

That hybrid is a big ole fat football thumb
Posted By: gborg

Re: Stripers at PK really grew over the winter - 04/15/22 01:33 PM

Don't know of a freshwater fish that pulls harder and longer than a Hybrid !

Re: Stripers at PK really grew over the winter - 04/15/22 06:02 PM

Holzer, Those Hybrids are fun to catch. I have heard tales that TPWD throws the excess Hybrids they make into PK. Hope they keep doing it, as maybe they will stay in the lake when it floods.

Crazy thing was this Hybrid was full of eggs ,as were both Stripers. Guess the Stripers knew not to bother staging at Costello for a flood this year. Lake is a few feet low and probably headed lower.

[Linked Image]
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum