Texas Fishing Forum

Favorite Striper Lure for Trolling

Posted By: MathGeek

Favorite Striper Lure for Trolling - 02/18/22 02:30 PM

I just ordered 20 of these for the upcoming season. How about you?

Posted By: jbobo

Re: Favorite Striper Lure for Trolling - 02/18/22 02:39 PM

Umbrella rigs are my favorite. Nothing compares to catching five stripers from 4 lbs up to 11.5 lbs on one rod at once.
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: Favorite Striper Lure for Trolling - 02/18/22 04:06 PM

I used to use lures for striper and troll. When I hooked multiples, they bent hooks to broke very heavy line. Had them break 30 lb test mono at PK before. Normally only get one in even with premium hooks. Striped off the shad bodies too.

Had multiples ion this one but they bent the hooks.
[Linked Image]

This is what stripers do to treble hooks when you get more than on on at a time
[Linked Image]

LM Bass are a total punk compared to a striper. I fish with shad and perch now and catch quote a few big LM Bass. I can tell almost instantly that its a LM Bass after setting the hook. LM Bass will not pull much drag. Once hooked, a striper will nearly spool all your line off your reel. Too much drag and it will break the line of bend the hooks.
Posted By: floydster

Re: Favorite Striper Lure for Trolling - 02/20/22 05:56 PM

We have best luck using umbrella rig with 4” chartreuse swim baits.
Posted By: 10percent

Re: Favorite Striper Lure for Trolling - 03/03/22 10:43 PM

Fluke or jig below deep/deep crankbait. Preferably white. Remove front hook and drop jig on lighter leader 18-24 in.
Posted By: z289sec

Re: Favorite Striper Lure for Trolling - 03/08/22 03:58 AM

Toss up for me. I like A rigs, with 4 inch shad colored swim baits, or 3.5 inch curly tail grubs, mostly white ones. Also, hi/lo with one heavy, and one light white bucktail, with a 5 inch curly tail white grub on the heavy, and a 3.5 inch white curly tail grub on the light.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum