Texas Fishing Forum

PK Report

Posted By: RANDY WOOD

PK Report - 05/03/21 02:08 AM

Lake is waking up. Water temp has started to rise!
Theres a few shad on the banks.
Caught 40 fish today and kept 11 Stripers. Threw the little ones back.
All caught on jigs.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: gborg

Re: PK Report - 05/03/21 02:40 PM

Very nice . How did the live scope work for your catching Randy ??
Posted By: PKfishin

Re: PK Report - 05/03/21 04:15 PM

Wow Randy! That's a great trip. Hope they tipped well, you sure deserved it.
Posted By: jackwagon

Re: PK Report - 05/03/21 04:52 PM

Nice catch and thanks for the report. Hopefully this will be a good year at PK.

Re: PK Report - 05/03/21 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by gborg
Very nice . How did the live scope work for your catching Randy ??

I havn't incorporated live scope into my striper fishing yet.
Bait catching and crappie fish I have used it and it helps a lot! [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: BrazosBully

Re: PK Report - 05/03/21 07:06 PM

Do you add an additional weight above the jig to keep your jig down there? I have tried using 1/4 and 1/2 oz jig heads and I feel like they get moved around a lot when there is any current. I am thinking about putting a 1/2 egg weight above it with a leader to the jig head. Thoughts on this?
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: PK Report - 05/03/21 07:26 PM

Nice post and fish. Good job. thumb

Re: PK Report - 05/03/21 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by BrazosBully
Do you add an additional weight above the jig to keep your jig down there? I have tried using 1/4 and 1/2 oz jig heads and I feel like they get moved around a lot when there is any current. I am thinking about putting a 1/2 egg weight above it with a leader to the jig head. Thoughts on this?

Yep. Slide on a small slip sinker and tie a small barrel swivel to main line. Add 18 inches 4 lb floro and tie jig to the end.
Keeps jig down and you can see it better on livescope also.

Re: PK Report - 05/04/21 04:10 PM

Randy: Tell us more about how live scope helps you catch shad. Shad have been tough to catch this year at PK. I see balls of them in20-30 feet but don't have much lick catching them. I gave up yesterday trying to catch shad and fished with shiners and the one shad and perch I caught. Pathetic, but both baits were gone in less than 5 minutes with one keeper striper and a breakoff. If I could get bait, striper fishing would be easy at PK.

Re: PK Report - 05/07/21 05:25 PM

The best advice I could give you about shad catching on PK is.

1.Dont try to catch shad on South end. It can be done buts its much harder.

2. Stained water is much better for catching shad.

3. Catching shad on PK is best done towards the river, stained water, and in the dark.
Posted By: riverwolf

Re: PK Report - 05/07/21 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by RANDY WOOD
The best advice I could give you about shad catching on PK is.

1.Dont try to catch shad on South end. It can be done buts its much harder.

2. Stained water is much better for catching shad.

3. Catching shad on PK is best done towards the river, stained water, and in the dark.

Bingo
Posted By: bob76

Re: PK Report - 05/07/21 10:15 PM

Randy...pm sent.

Re: PK Report - 05/08/21 02:00 PM

Looks like I'll be going back to perch for Stripers. I can go uplake and catch shad but I have to keep them overnight and I lose a lot of them due to the fact I only have a 17 gallon tank. The other issue is I'm traveling at dusk or after dark on a road highly populated with big pigs. Not sure how it would go it I hit one of those 300 LB+ feral hogs with my Subaru Outback while pulling my boat but I don't think it would go well.

Shad are magic for stripers. If I have a couple dozen shad I can easily limit out on stripers once they are found. Stripers will take perch too, but not as quick as they come up to take a shad.

I think the stained water uplake really helps with catching those crappie too. I got a nice box of crappie this past week downlake. Found them post spawn in 35 feet under a dock. Caught a couple on jigs tipped with a minnow, but had to switch to straight minnows to get most of the fish.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum