Texas Fishing Forum

White bass question

Posted By: Skeeter59

White bass question - 03/30/21 12:49 PM

I am new to white bass fishing. I went out twice on Lake Buchanan last month. I bought a Thumper and it brought a good number of fish under the boat. We caught probably 40 whites each time, but they were all very small ones, maybe two to four keepers. They were caught in about 35 - 40 feet of water. I tried fishing right off the bottom, just above the fish, in the middle of them, all pretty much small ones. Trying to understand what white bass do, I was wondering if the larger whites are up the lake with the spawning taking place, or just more up shallow? I was fishing with a hazy eyed slab, and a MAL lure. Thanks for any insight.
Posted By: RespectTheFish

Re: White bass question - 03/30/21 01:02 PM

You might want to try fishing in the upper third of the lake closer to any feeder creeks or rivers. Perhaps look for the first structure or two closest to these river/creek area in water 25-35 foot deep. These areas hold pre/post spawn fish. The adults are spawning while the kiddos seem to hang out more in the main lake from what I’ve observed which could explain your trip results.
Posted By: Skeeter59

Re: White bass question - 03/30/21 02:01 PM

Thanks..that was what I was thinking might be going on. This was my first time going out to fish for whites. Not sure when the spawning season ends around here for whites.
Posted By: CHAMPION FISH

Re: White bass question - 03/30/21 02:07 PM

The females will be moving out into the lake as the spawn slows down. Probably catching small male fish now.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum